Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: so sick of being small!!

so sick of being small!!

Iíve decided to put up my journal in the hope that it will encourage me to work harder and stay committed to getting bigger.

I wasnít going to put it up for a while due to me lifting such light weights at the mo compared to you guys but what the heck (your insults should motivate me further).

CURRENTLY
    Height: 6í1.5Ē
    Weight 166 lbs

In college studying IT, off for 5 months (meant to be doing work experience, but I canít find any) so am at home and workout there with a friend of mine in the evenings, heís lifting about the same as myself.

ROUTINE
    Iím doing the WBB1 routine with a few amendments, training Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and abs on Tuesday and Thursday.

Week 3:

WEIGHTS
    Hereís what last week shaped up like:

Day1: Chest & Back
    (wasnít in good form for this one cosí went clubbing in london on Friday and that involved over 20 hours travel by rail, about 3 hours sleep, and 8 hours clubbing (my cardio))

Bench Press
    119x4, 115x4,109x6

Incline Bench Press(changed this from incline dumbbell press cosí couldnít kick up the weight properly)
    86x4, 81x7

Weighted Dips
    +5.5x8, +5.5x7

Assisted Chin Ups (absolutely suck at these, lucky if I can do 2 unassisted)
    x8, x8

Deadlifts
    139x9, 139x8

Bent Over Rows (still trying to perfect form on these, very hard to get it that extra bit up to my upper waist)
    97x5, 92x6

Shrugs (lack a bit of strength in keeping my fingers holding the bar)
    139x11

Day 3: Legs

Hack Squat (probably will lower the weight on these next week cosí the bar was gliding along my legs the whole way up)
    127x8, 127x8

Leg Extension (in place of squat cosí donít have a rack and the weight was getting to dangerous to lift alone)
    80.5x9, 80.5x11

Leg Curls
    60.5x9, 60.5x6

Straight Legged DeadLift (I like these now)
    127x8, 127x8

Day 4: Abs

Decline Crunches (first time I tried these and abs were really pumped afterwards, cool!)
    x10, x10, x10, +5x10

Day 5: Shoulders, Triceps & Biceps (favourite day)

Military Press
    81x5, 77x6

Dumbbell Shoulder Press
    31x8, 36x3, 34x4

Dumbbell Lateral Raises
    10x10, 10x10

Close Grip Bench Press
    97x5, 92x7

French Press
    55x6, 53x7

Barbell Curl
    61x8, 61x5

Hammer Curl
    31x10.5

DIET

DIET
    Heres an example daily diet

Meal 1:
    Ĺ cup wheatgerm
    500ml milk
    banana

Meal 2:
    150g Ham, Turkey & Cheese in a sandwich

Meal 3:
    Normal Dinner (fish/chicken/beef, potatoes, vegetable)

Meal 4:
    On training days: 1 scoop whey protein isolate with 500ml water before and after workout
    Non training days: 2 scoops whey protein isolate with 500ml milk

Meal 5:
    140g tuna and 200g baked beans

Meal 6: (if I have the time)
    Half cup cottage cheese (still havenít figured the nicest way of eating this)

Am I getting enough protein, carbs, calories, (I think protein around 160)?
    Last edited by diego; 05-03-2003 at 08:25 AM.

light weights

the max i can put on the barbell at the mo' is 139lbs, need to get 2x50lbs plates but i've been quoted cheapest price at 100 euro ($110), which i think is robbery!
    also need to get a spinlock barbell, think they're about 35 euro($40) do they sound good prices?

diet-wise it sounds like you are on the right track. you might want to get your hands on some dextrose and/or maltodextrine for your post-workout shake on training days in place of just water. and maybe have some eggs for breakfast

as for ways to eat the cottage cheese, try taking a look in the recipes section. there is a really long thread in there with a lot of co-cheese ideas

good luck with the journal bro!
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Good luck Diego!!
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Re: DIET

Originally posted by diego
    Meal 4:
    On training days: 1 scoop whey protein isolate with 500ml water before and after workout
    Non training days: 2 scoops whey protein isolate with 500ml milk
    Your body burns a good amount of glycogen while working out. It is important to include carbs in your postworkout meal to replenish the glycogen reserves, facilitating repair and recovery. Many experts recommend a 3/1 carb/protein ratio in your postworkout meal. For similar reasons it can be beneficial to include carbs in your preworkout meal as well.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-03-2003 at 09:02 PM.

Re: Re: DIET

Originally posted by aka23

Your body burns a good amount of glycogen while working out. It is important to include carbs in your postworkout meal to replenish the glycogen reserves, facilitating repair and recovery. Many experts recommend a 3/1 carb/protein ratio in your postworkout meal. For similar reasons it can be beneficial to include carbs in your preworkout meal as well.
    in what food do i get glycogen?

Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    diet-wise it sounds like you are on the right track. you might want to get your hands on some dextrose and/or maltodextrine for your post-workout shake on training days in place of just water. and maybe have some eggs for breakfast

as for ways to eat the cottage cheese, try taking a look in the recipes section. there is a really long thread in there with a lot of co-cheese ideas

good luck with the journal bro!
    thanx, where can i get dextrose?

will try and get consuming those eggs in the morning, just don't like the effort.

you can get dextrose from a lot of online supplement stores. also, if there is a brewing company nearby, you could probably get some from them very cheap.

as for the eggs, there isnt much effort required. then again, it all depends onhow u like them cooked. but what i do is just boil some the night before and stick them in the fridge, then in the morning, all i do is take them out, peel off the shell, and eat
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Re: Re: Re: DIET

in what food do i get glycogen?
    Glycogen is primarily composed of glucose molecules. Your body stores glycogen in the liver, skeletal muscle, andmyocardium. This glycogen is a critical source of fuel in workouts with bursts of high intensity activity, like weightlifting.

Your body can create muscle glycogen from almost any carbohydrate with glucose or starch (grains, table sugar, dextrose, ..). It cannot use fructose. Your body can create liver glycogen from nearly any carbohydrate. Fructose is more effective at refilling liver glycogen reserves than glucose.

It is often recommended to consume high GI carbs after a workout. The high GI carbs will start refueling quickly and may promote an anabolic response. Lyle Mcdonald gives some good recommendations for pre and postworkout nutrition in the interview on this site at http://www.wannabebig.com/article.ph...id=93&pageid=4

diego, lemme try and simplify some of this...

postworkout, add protein to something like gatorade, or powerade, or a sports drink. or if you do get some dextrose, mix that in with your protein. the more you read on this site the more you will learnabout how the body works, and its need for this important postworkout drink. but keep it simple....dextrose or gatorade, and protein....@165 lbs, you should try for about 30 grams protein, and 70 grams carbs postworkout

as for the rest of your diet, the amount of protein looks good, but remember that protein alone is not going to do it, dont be afraid of fat, especially healthy fats from fish and nuts and such. if you are trying to gain weight then fat is your friend, lots of calories. make breakfast your biggest meal of the day, your body is just waking up after not eating for a long time, so pack in the nutrients. i would suggest a couple whole eggs, some egg whites, oatmeal, even a spoonful of natural peanut butter, and keep the milk in it.

at any rate, nobody will make fun of you here, its a pretty helpful site. best of luck with gettin some size, alot of people will help "coach" you along in your journal.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Re: Re: Re: Re: DIET

Glycogen is primarily composed of glucose molecules. Your body stores glycogen in the liver, skeletal muscle, andmyocardium. This glycogen is a critical source of fuel in workouts with bursts of high intensity activity, like weightlifting.

Your body can create muscle glycogen from almost any carbohydrate with glucose or starch (grains, table sugar, dextrose, ..). It cannot use fructose. Your body can create liver glycogen from nearly any carbohydrate. Fructose is more effective at refilling liver glycogen reserves than glucose.

It is often recommended to consume high GI carbs after a workout. The high GI carbs will start refueling quickly and may promote an anabolic response. Lyle Mcdonald gives some good recommendations for pre and postworkout nutrition in the interview on this site at http://www.wannabebig.com/article.ph...id=93&pageid=4

i've looked at that article but have a few questions, i don't really know that much about where i get the nutrients from each food:

Pre-workout: 20-30 grams glucose/12-15 grams whey protein

Post-workout: 45-80 grams carbs from glucose/maltodextrin and some fructose (10-20 grams) with 20-30 grams of protein

what are good sources for each of the respective
    glucose,
    fructose,

and how does one make a post workout shake containing protein without using whey?

thanx

you want to use whey postworkout, it is the most readily abosrbed protein.

and may i suggest gatorade for the carbs, or you can track down the dextrose supplement online or in the store.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Week 4: Day 1:

Not a good weekends eating very infrequent but right now Iím going to redo my whole diet and have a definite one to stick to, thanks for those articles aka, helped me a lot.

WEIGHTS
    felt ok for these, could have done with more energy though
    Day1: Chest & Back

Bench Press(not happy with this one, didnít improve and Iíd say it was due to bad eating and lack of mental determination)
    113x6, 109x4

Incline Bench Press
    85x8, 90x6

Weighted Dips(used a backpack with plates in it, worked well)
    +20x9, +20x10

Assisted Chin Ups (I still suck at these, someone please tell me why Iím so bad at this exercise particularly?)
    x7, x7

Deadlifts
    139x12, 139x9

Bent Over Rows (I had to drop the weight a lot and still couldnít get it to tip my upper waist, is there any alternatives to this, or does one have to raise it that high?)
    75x7, 75x5

Shrugs
    139x15
    Last edited by diego; 05-05-2003 at 05:05 PM.

Originally posted by MrWebb78
    you want to use whey postworkout, it is the most readily abosrbed protein.

and may i suggest gatorade for the carbs, or you can track down the dextrose supplement online or in the store.
    i'll get some gatorade tomorrow

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DIET

i've looked at that article but have a few questions, i don't really know that much about where i get the nutrients from each food:

Pre-workout: 20-30 grams glucose/12-15 grams whey protein

Post-workout: 45-80 grams carbs from glucose/maltodextrin and some fructose (10-20 grams) with 20-30 grams of protein

what are good sources for each of the respective
    glucose,
    fructose,

and how does one make a post workout shake containing protein without using whey?

thanx
    Glucose and fructose are simple sugars. Most foods that are high in carbohydrates are also good sources of glucose. After a workout you would ideally want higher GI (glycemic index) carbohydrates. This means that the carbohydrates will raise your blood sugar qucikly, and usually will help get nutrients to your body quickly. At other times, it is usually desireable to have lower GI carbohydrates. The table at http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_...emic_index.php lists the glycemic index of various foods.

Fructose is found naturally in fruits and to a lesser extent in vegetables, along with glucose and other types of sugar. It is present in more concentrated forms in fruit juices and some types of sugar. Table sugar (sucrose) is glucose and fructose combined into one unit.

After a workout, a lot of bodybuilders get their glucose, fructose, and protein from postworkout drinks. This protein is often whey because of its rapid absorbition rate. For similar reasons, malodextrin is a popular postworkout carb source. However, other types of proteins and carbs also get the job done. You could either have this type of drink or you could aim for eating foods with high GI carbs and some easily digestable protein. On most days, I have an unusual postworkout meal of cereal+fruit and fish.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-05-2003 at 05:39 PM.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DIET

Glucose and fructose are simple sugars. Most foods that are high in carbohydrates are also good sources of glucose. After a workout you would ideally want higher GI (glycemic index) carbohydrates. This means that the carbohydrates will raise your blood sugar qucikly, and usually will help get nutrients to your body quickly. At other times, it is usually desireable to have lower GI carbohydrates. The table at http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_...emic_index.php lists the glycemic index of various foods.

Fructose is found naturally in fruits and to a lesser extent in vegetables, along with glucose and other types of sugar. It is present in more concentrated forms in fruit juices and some types of sugar. Table sugar (sucrose) is glucose and fructose combined into one unit.

After a workout, a lot of bodybuilders get their glucose, fructose, and protein from postworkout drinks. This protein is often whey because of its rapid absorbition rate. For similar reasons, malodextrin is a popular postworkout carb source. However, other types of proteins and carbs also get the job done. You could either have this type of drink or you could aim for eating foods with high GI carbs and some easily digestable protein. On most days, I have an unusual postworkout meal of cereal+fruit and fish.
    so would this work:?

pre workout a shake with whey powder and gatorade

post workout a bowl of white rice (GI 88), chicken(is chicken an easily digestable protein?) and fruit
    Last edited by diego; 05-05-2003 at 06:16 PM.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: DIET

so would this work:?

pre workout a shake with whey powder and gatorade

post workout a bowl of white rice (GI 88), chicken(is chicken an easily digestable protein?) and fruit
    Drinking gatorade preworkout might not be ideal. It is only about 6% carb; so you may get waterlogged or have insufficient carbs, if you use it as a primary source of preworkout carbs. Gatorade is basically composed of water, sugar(sucrose, glucose, and fructose), and a bit of electrolytes (sodium+potassium). I think it works best as a fluid replacement drink. This might be a good think to sip on during a very long workout or perhaps after a workout is complete, but I do not think it is ideal for preworkout.

Protein powder gets into your bloodstream faster than whole food protein like chicken. If you are going to have protein powder, I think it would make more sense to have it after your workout when your body needs protein the fastest. The slower releasing protein would work better before the workout.

Note that the above changes would probably have little effect on overall muscle gains. The most important things are to have sufficient amounts of protein and carbs right after working out, as well as in your preworkout meal.

i had to look at the label, and gatorade is 8%, not trying to persuade your opinion aka. but wouldnt you agree that it is not a BAD thing to take postworkout?

besides, its not like the postworkout shake is going to be the determining factor of bodybuilding success, not to knock its importance, but it is an easy to find solution, fairly cheap, and tasty

6'2"
    273 lbs.

why not screw the pre-workout stuff, and try to get your hands on somthing like gatorade powder and mix it with the whey.

btw MrWebb, i think they were talking about having the gatorade and whey be pre-workout.

Originally posted by MrWebb78
    i had to look at the label, and gatorade is 8%, not trying to persuade your opinion aka. but wouldnt you agree that it is not a BAD thing to take postworkout?

besides, its not like the postworkout shake is going to be the determining factor of bodybuilding success, not to knock its importance, but it is an easy to find solution, fairly cheap, and tasty
    According to the Gatorade website at http://www.gatorade.com/products_per...h/compare.html , "Gatorade Thirst Quencher" is 6% carbohydrate. Perhaps some flavors have a bit extra carbohydrate.

I do not think gatorade is a bad thing to take postworkout. It will quickly supply carbs to the body, more quickly than most foods. Note that Diego suggested taking Gatorade preworkout, not postworkout.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-05-2003 at 08:03 PM.

oh, there i go assuming again!

heres the ultimate preworkout mixes

1. 2 apples, lotsa natty PB, and whey

2. 16 oz milk, scoop of whey, and oats(all blended togeher, this is my favorite)

6'2"
    273 lbs.

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    Hey diego!

Good luck with your goals, just stay focused and you'll get there. Most people suck at chins the first time they start doing them. They are just plain HARD to do LOL, but dont give up. I could only get a few myself and it took me almost 9 months to hit 3 sets of 10.

try mixing your cottage cheese with sliced strawberries. I cant stand it any other way.....and I really think cottage cheese is right up there with tuna for protein sources. And get lots of healthy fats and carbs, you need those too

How long have you been lifting?
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

good luck
    lifts dont look too bad just keep pounding away and you'll reach your goals!