Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Insert Spam Here

Insert Spam Here

I've come up with a workout system that's been working well for me over the last four months. I'm about to start the fourth cycle of it, with some further modifications thrown in.

I tried HST a few times but I could never complete a macrocycle because my joints and tendons couldn't hold up to three full-body workouts a week. About three or four weeks into each cycle I'd get tendonitis or joint pain that would take several weeks to months to go away completely. I recognized that I could lift every third day, or two days on and one day off, if I didn't go to failure and watched what I was doing.

My current workout is a lower/upper split. I try to do lower-upper-off-lower-upper-off if my job and family requirements allow. At the start of each cycle I would pick a weight for each exercise where I could do 12-15 reps. I would then add 5-10 pounds each workout until the reps got down into the 4-6 rep range. As each exercise got to this point, I would go back to the initial weight plus maybe 10 pounds and start over. Not all the exercises would start over on the same day, but most would within a week of each other.

I've made some good strength gains in several of the "major" lifts doing it this way. My best example is the seated overhead press. I had been doing a double-progression approach until I started this current system. Here 's a graph that shows how much better it's been since I've abandoned the double-progression system. At the left of the graph you can see the slow progress I was making at first. Look at the three cycles after that and notice the marked increase in weight I've been able to lift. Among the three cycles there have been some weights where I didn't do as many reps as I had done the previous cycle, but overall I've ended each cycle being able to lift at least 10 more pounds for reps, than the previous cycle.

In the next few posts I'll get into the specifics of my workout and some baseline information on me.
    Last edited by Delphi; 12-15-2002 at 09:41 AM.

I look forward to readin' ya journal Delphi!
    'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.'
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

For my workouts I'll do either 1 or 2 sets of each exercise, depending on how well the first set went. If I'm nearing the end of a cycle and I only get 5-7 reps on the first set, I'll drop the weight some and do a second set. Some days I would do two sets on almost everything if I was well-rested and full of energy. Some evenings I was doing good to do one set of each. Some days I was so lacking in energy and motivation that I would wait until the next day to lift.

So here's the split I've been using:

Lower
    Squats- 1 or 2 sets
    Seated calf raise- usually 2 sets
    Standing calf raise- usually 2 sets
    Hyperextensions (45 degree)- never 2 sets
    Weighted crunches- 1 set

Squats are done with feet just wider than shoulder width. I've made a box that's 14.5" high. If I squat down until I just feel my butt contacting the box, I'm clearly below parallel. I don't rest on the box and I try to make minimal contact with it. I've noticed lately that on every other workout my squat performance has been poor- only 4-6 reps when I could do 10-12 reps the previous workout with 5 pounds less weight. I'm now alternating squats with box squats, as my lower back is not recovering when I do heavy back squats every third day.

Upper
    (Weighted dips- on hold)
    Wide-grip pullups
    Seated OH press
    Seated cable row
    Inclined DB shrug
    DB inclined press
    Hammer curl
    Inclined fly
    Triceps pressdown (in lieu of dips for now)

Weighted dips are currently on hold, as my left wrist has not recovered from my ill-fated attempts at doing wide-grip bench presses. I had been doing flat BB presses and flat flyes for the first three cycles, but I'm going to do inclined DB presses and flyes for a change of pace. We'll see if the pec minors look any different after a cycle or two.

The lifts I'm most interested in right now are squats and seated OH presses. Seated rows to a lesser degree, too. Pullups make my lats show better, but I have a real problem with my forearms and wrists on a chronic basis. I first noticed this last spring when I was doing Hammer curls and wrist rollers three times a week while doing HST. I'm seriously thinking about using wrist straps for pullups and using my Ivanko SuperGripper at the end of the workout to work on the forearms a little more.
    Last edited by Delphi; 12-15-2002 at 09:42 AM.

Yea, Miss Rezza is the foist person to spam my new joinal!

Rockin' the midlife crisis xraygirl's Avatar

Texas rules!
    that is all...

Shweet!

Stats:
    age- 43, 44 in March
    height- 6'3"
    weight- 228, up from 187 in July 2001

Lift Benchmarks
    squat- 11/260
    seated calf raise- 8/295
    standing calf raise- 9/365

hyperextension- 12/80. These scare me.
    seated cable row- 8/195
    inclined DB shrug- 7/300 (I add DB weights together so it's easier to compare them to BB weights)
    chinup- 7.5/BW+25

seated OH press- 3/185, 6/180 the workout before that. Up from 120's in July.
    weighted dips- 4/BW+105. On hold due to wrist pain.
    DB inclined press- 11/130. I've only done them 3 times, so I'm nowhere near my working weight on them yet.
    flat wide-grip bench press- 4/195. May never do them again due to wrist pain.
    tricep pressdown- 7.5/95

I keep track of my workouts using the program I have been writing over the last couple of years. The workouts are formatted for the data files used by the program. My last two workouts:

[12]
    Group=Upper
    01=Lats- Wide Grip Pullup, 10/0
    02=Delts- Overhead Press, 3/185, 9/145
    03=Traps- Seated Row, 8/195, 9/170, 8/150
    04=Traps- Inclined Shrug, 4/300, 9/220
    05=Pecs- DB Inclined Press, 11/130
    06=Biceps- Hammer Curl, 7/85, 10/70
    07=Pecs- Inclined Fly, 11/90
    08=Triceps- Triceps Pressdown, 7.5/95, 8/75

[14]
    Group=Lower
    01=Quads- Squat, 11/260, 6/225
    02=Calf- Seated Calf Raise, 7/275, 10/225
    03=Calf- Standing Calf Raise, 10/325, 12/325
    04=Erectors- Hyperextension, 12/80
    05=Abs- Crunch, 12/40
    06=Abs- Leg Raise, 9

For those of you who haven't seen the program, you might look at some screen shots of it here. Currently running version 3.7.

Sweet man, glad to hear you've started the journo, i didnt realise you were 43

I like the program, i think i may use it, checking it out at the mo, hopefully it will fit my routine and ill be happy as larry
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

[15]
    Group=Upper
    01=Lats- Wide Grip Pullup, 9/0, 5.5/0
    02=Delts- Wide Grip Overhead Press, 15/125
    03=Traps- Seated Row, 4/195, 9/170
    04=Traps- Inclined Shrug, 12/260
    05=Pecs- DB Inclined Press, 11/135
    06=Biceps- Hammer Curl, 8/90, 10/70
    07=Pecs- Inclined Fly, 9/95
    08=Triceps- Triceps Pressdown, 8/95, 10/75
    09=Forearms- Ivanko Grip, 10/1.10, 15/1.8

Pullup- used straps for the first time. Didn't have that crampy-type pain I usually do when releasing the bar. Did a second set.

Wide grip OH Press- first time to do them with a wide grip (hands outside the uprights on the rack). Last workout I finished a cycle of regular grip OH presses. Did 3/185 last workout, and 6/180 before that.

Seated row- will start over at 160 next time.

DB inclined press- 4th time to do press with DBs. Getting DBs in and out of position by myself sure is a pain.

Ivanko grip- started doing them today since I used straps on pullups. 1.10 means the springs are in the 1 and 10 slots. May start using my Titan key thingy again next workout. I really have to be careful with my forearms because once I get tendonitis it's hard to recover since I am constantly using them at work.
    Last edited by Delphi; 12-15-2002 at 05:16 PM.

You aksed for it

Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I like it... I like it a lot...

I saw a show on Spam on the Discovery channel. Spiced ham. Lovely stuff.

I'd say it's SMOOOOOOKIN!
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Where the hell is your spam can ectx? You have to put one up. It's the rules!
    "I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." -Lily Tomlin

Originally posted by galileo
    ?

!
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

lol at all the

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Originally posted by xraygirl
    Where the hell is your spam can ectx? You have to put one up. It's the rules!
    It's there. You just can't see it 'cuz it's smoooookin. Here, a cold one.

ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Originally posted by Delphi
    Stats:
    age- 43, 44 in March
    height- 6'3"
    weight- 228, up from 187 in July 2001
    Nicely done. So it IS possible at our age to gain 41 quality pounds.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 12-15-2002 at 11:53 PM.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Okay. That's better.
    "I always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific." -Lily Tomlin

[17]
    Group=Lower
    01=Quads- Box Squat, 7/165 (in doubles)
    02=Quads- Leg Extension, 14/280, 14/240
    03=Hams- Leg Curl, 12.5/140
    04=Abs- Crunch, 13/40

This was my light lower day. I'm only going to do back squats every other lower workout. Look at the graph here and you can see where I've gotten to the point that every other workout sucks if I do back squats every third day.

Here's how my lower workouts will be:

Heavy Day
    Quads- Squat 2 sets
    Calf- Seated Calf Raise 2 sets
    Calf- Standing Calf Raise 2 sets
    Erectors- Hyperextension 1 set
    Abs- some kind of workout. Rumor has it I'm getting "Bullet-Proof Abs" by Pavel Tsatsouline from Santa.

Light Day
    Quads- Box Squat up to 6 doubles
    Quads- Leg Extension 2 sets
    Hams- Leg Curl 1 set
    Abs- something here too

[19]
    Group=Upper
    01=Lats- Wide Grip Pullup, 10/0, 5.5/0
    02=Delts- Wide Grip Overhead Press, 15/130
    03=Traps- Inclined Shrug, 12/265
    04=Traps- Seated Row, 11/150, 6/150
    05=Pecs- DB Inclined Press, 11/140
    06=Biceps- Hammer Curl, 6/95, 11/70
    07=Pecs- Inclined Fly, 10/95
    08=Triceps- Triceps Pressdown, 9/95, 9/75
    09=Forearms- Ivanko Grip, 12/1.10, 15/1.8
    10=Forearms- Titan Key, 10/10, 10/10

+ =
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Senior of Kinesiology
    X =
    Meet PR: 290lb bench press, 505lb dead lift @ 190lbs

Current Training: Yoga and Weightlifting

5'11'', Male, 175lbs, age 22

Shazbot! Forgot to my own joinal