The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

ankle injury and recovery time needed...

Hey all, I twisted/bruised my ankle four weeks from this Saturday. The ankle is still a little tender and I'm a little hesitate to start training my calves/hams until the soreness is completely gone. I just don't want to be set back anymore than I have already have been. Any suggestions? I figured to start training fairly lightly on the calves, but not to push it until the soreness is completely gone.

I've also heard from a few friends of mine that they had ankle injuries like the one I have now, but they are now effected by this for good. Did they not rehabilitate their ankle correctly the first time around or is this something I have to look forward to now also?

Thanks all in advance...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You should wait untill you're healed before you resume training. If you don't you might really set yourself back. The ankle almost always has some weight on it when except when you're laying down so full recovery may be slow.
    Last edited by captnjosh; 05-22-2003 at 09:00 AM.

I've waited or just lazy to return back to the weights, after about 3 weeks. The ankle feels a little more stable and there isn't much tenderness anymore. I'm doing all upper body again, but have been skipping the leg routines for now. I'm starting to substitute a bike ride a few times during the week, just to get my legs moving again. Just when I started to get a little progress in my leg workout, this freaking ankle injury...grrrr!

Thanks captnjosh.

Do you think my second paragraph (ongoing injury) holds any weight or just plain silly.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    I suggest when doing your leg workouts, don't start with high weights. Start with little, and then increase to what you were regularly doing before the injury.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

if its been 4 weeks you ankle should be alright. did you see a doctor? were you in a cast? i have a pretty nasty history with ankles! ive broken both of mine and sprained/strained/bruised then both at least 100 times each(no kidding). i am now to a point that the tendons are so screwy that when i do twist an ankle it pops out of joint and it dosent even hurt, then i popit back and its usually fine after a day. ive even twisted an ankle on somthing small as a marble. its pretty pathetic!

after 4 weeks you should be fine, the tenderness is probably still around because you have been favoring it for four weeks. its weak because it hasnt been used much at all. try to work out, but use very low weights with high reps. if it still hurts now after 4 weeks maybe you shoudl see a doctor?

Wannabebig Member
    It really depends what kind of injury you have. The most common ankle sprain is to the ATFL (anterior talofibular ligament) and the PTFL, both of which are on the lateral side of the ankle. Sounds like you must have messed it up pretty bad for it still to be sore. There is also a "high ankle sprain" in which you stretch or tear the tibiofibular (sp?) ligament that connects the tibia and the fibula. These usually take much longer to heal. I think you should go to an ortho.

I went to the doctor and he sent me for xrays and nothing showed up, so no cast or anything.

There is also a "high ankle sprain" in which you stretch or tear the tibiofibular (sp?) ligament that connects the tibia and the fibula.
    The more I read in to this injury the more it sounds like what Jim Rob suggested.

I'll just take it easy for a little while longer, and start with very light weight.