The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Proper deadlift form

Hi everyone, I am new to these forums and I have a question. What is the proper lifting form for the conventional style deadlift? I use the conventional form of the deadlift, but my lower back seems to pull the weight up at the bottom portion of the lift. I do not really feel like I am driving my heels into the floor which many lifters say should happen . My back is ALWAYS straight thoughout the lift and NEVER rounded and I manage to keep my head up and my hips low. The bar does not touch my shins at the beginning of the lift as some people reccomend and my arms are outside the knees and touch the knees on the side. I personally find it MUCH harder to deadlift when the weight is touching my shins(half squat position) at the beginning so the weight is actually an inch or two away from the shins. My lower back muscles are providing a lot of the pull at the beginning and is this normal? I must have really weak legs if I do not feel my feet pushing into the floor and does this make my lower back prone to injury.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

thats the problem, keep the bar right next to your legs..the whole lift, i find sumo style i can keep the bar closer to me

i did the same thing you did but on a 405lb sldl and my lower back yelled at me for days
    excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.

Wannabebig Member
    My problem is that my legs are not strong enough to lift the weight off the floor and my back MUST provide most of the pull to move the weight up for the first two to three inches BEFORE the glutes, hips, and quads are recruited. For this reason, I must keep the weight at least two inches away from my shins at the beginning of the lift. Most of the weight is on the front part of my feet NOT the heels. I have NOT yet suffered any injuries with this form and I hope I do not bust a disc in my lower back.

Wannabebig Member
    At the beginning of the lift my shoulder are also right over the bar. I am short and maybe this is why the bar does not touch my shins at the biginning of the lift. I have short legs. My back is always straight and slightly arched with my head up looking forward. The hips are low with the thighs slightly above parralell to the floor.

I'd say don't take it heavy until your able to work your leg drive strong enough to start the motion. Get you butt on the floor with a barbell on your traps
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Behemoth
    I'd say don't take it heavy until your able to work your leg drive strong enough to start the motion. Get you butt on the floor with a barbell on your traps

Are you referring to the squat exercise? I do back squats and I use the manta ray squat device which helps to keep my back straight when squating. IS 400 Lbs too much on the deadlift if I do not have really strong leg drive on the deadlift? I must have a strong back because I may even be able to deadlift 500 lbs with my current form.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Originally posted by TRI
    IS 400 Lbs too much on the deadlift if I do not have really strong leg drive on the deadlift?
    Well, it depends how you feel when you're doing it.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Tiny and Mighty
    ass out, head up, feet shoulder length apart...dont bend over!
    Start with light weight to get your form correct. If you check on line, there is a video of how to do it properly. The guy explains it very well. I'll try to find it for you

btw, your height shouldnt affect the form that much unless you're really out of proportion. You just have bad form.
    Last edited by lilpenis; 05-23-2003 at 08:48 AM.

Tiny and Mighty
    This isnt it, but this is the only example I found http://www.ballyfitness.com/rapid_re...s/video.asp?27

See how her ass goes out? oops
    Last edited by lilpenis; 05-23-2003 at 08:45 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    After watching that video, i do not think my form is all that wrong. I probably drive more with my legs that I think I do because my back DOES NOT bend and is straight throughout the lift. My glutes, quads,hamstrings, and lower back all feel sore after deadlifting. My lower back feels a bit more sore than my glutes and quads though. I feel a lot better about my form after watching the video. The bar does touch my body, but NOT at the beginning of the lift. I try to keep my shoulders directly over the bar at the beginning and it is impossible to do with the bar touching the shins at the same time. The bar is close to the shins, but NOT touching.

your form seems alright, that's kind of like how I do mine....
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

the conventional deadlift hits the back(more), might wanna try straight legged deadlifts for legs/hams
    Last edited by SoulOfKoRea; 05-23-2003 at 10:35 AM.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

MACHINE
    Try sumo. Your body type should determine what style you use, not what someone else tells you to use. If you like it, problem solved, if you don't, take the advice given on standard deads.

that's all
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560