The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

how often should you have a break?

Hello, i just wondered how often you people think you should give your body a week off from weights? I`ve been working out for 3 months now without a break, so do you think i`d benefit from giving the body a rest? Just wondered if i`d lose out anywhere, as it would work out to be 2 weeks between excercises. Thankyou for your help

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hey

Well this is just my opinion you donít have to go by it by any means. I donít think anyone should really take any breaks unless necessary. Thatís what your days off are for during the week. Say you workout 4 days a week, well you have the other 3 off. If it were going to be 2 weeks between exercises then I would say no. I am not saying it is a bad idea to take a break just stating that it is not always the best way to go. Especially if you have only been working out for 3 months. Stick with it a while longer before you take any good long breaks. (Remember though that is just my opinion.)

ive heard once every 8 weeks is a good time for a break. but i dont know how many people actually do that. i doubt i will
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Wannabebig Member
    save your break for when you get injured. i havent been lifting upper body for over a month since i got my wrist surgery. havent lost much yet, but diet becomes so much more important.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Well, if you been lifting without any breaks for a few months, 2 weeks sounds ideal.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

i usually take a one or 2week break any time that my work outs are kinda stayin the same, n i'm not progressin too great, n i've been wearin down alot....so its more of when its time to take a break, i take one...helps me get out of a slump too
    but u still stay active durin that break, just not weight liftin
    Skillz

If you really think you need a break you should probably take one. If you're wasted after just your first three months of training you may be overtraining.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Taking a week off is a very wise move and will help a lot with muscle gains. A two week break will be even better. It will allow your nervous system to recover from some of the accumulated fatigue that happens as a natural byproduct of weight training (it'spretty much unavoidable), and the muscle decondicioning effect will also allow you to grow from lighter loads so you on't be so dependant from strenth gains in order to achieve muscle gains.

I highly recommend it.

I think I need a break, it's always good to give the CNS some time to recoup without constantly trying to repair from workouts.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

A 2 week break? To me that sounds more harmful than beneficial. Your going to lose muscle mass not lifting for 2 straight weeks. That's why you have REST days in your weekly routine.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Originally posted by HahnB
    A 2 week break? To me that sounds more harmful than beneficial. Your going to lose muscle mass not lifting for 2 straight weeks. That's why you have REST days in your weekly routine.
    Well, you will lose some muscle if you take a break for 2 weeks, but you would lose more if you don't watch your diet.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

depends how u do on those 2 weeks...if u keep ur diet up, stay active inother stuff, maybe do a few light weights here n there.....u should at least maintain, if not go up in strength and size...i usually do when i take a 1-2 week break

Skillz

Tiny and Mighty
    ghettosmurf is right. once every 8 weeks is what I do. And take a rest from CARDIO too..not just the weights.
    Don't forget to switch up your routine too. Things are going good now at 3 months, but your body will get used to the same routine

2 weeks seems to long. ALso I don't think you need to every 8 weeks either. Maybe skip a day and have along weekend. I don't plant time off it usually happens here and there.
    Can't say for sure sure 2 weeks is to much or every 8 weeks is to often, since this not an exact science, just I wouldn't do it.

Beware of Attack Ferrets
    I think around 7-10 days every few weeks. Really I take a break when I feel like it, but usually around 3 months my body is telling me to take some time off

If you take 2 weeks off every 8 weeks 20% of your year is off. Like I said for me life usually gets in the way I take time off cause I am busy. I'd rather skip a work out then take a whole week off. But this is something hard to quantify and put numbers down.

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    I go 6 weeks on, 1 week off. I use a variance of Ahhhnold's workout from the Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding (revised). By the end of week 6, I am WAY ready for the break. I take that week off and then BOOM! when I come back to it, I am very motivated.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

I don't understand taking time off . The only time I have taken off this entire year was when I was in panama for spring break, and my lifts suffered when I came back. I dont see how someone can take a 2 week break, especially whoever said taking a 7 day break every 2 weeks lol- that's crazy to me. That would just contradict all your hard work.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Not really, it's usually around the three week mark that muscle atrophy begins. Muscle won't go away that easy if your calories stay around mantenance.

I suggest you do some reading at the HST site about startegic decondicioning. Even if you don't follow HST it is a beneficial principle to incorporate in your traning.
    Last edited by restless; 05-23-2003 at 12:00 PM.

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    I don't understand taking time off .
    You cannot be serious. You see no benefit from taking a little time off. Jeeze, I'd hate to be YOUR workout partner.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Originally posted by W8_4_Me

You cannot be serious. You see no benefit from taking a little time off. Jeeze, I'd hate to be YOUR workout partner.
    All I know is when I take time off my lifts suffer, maybe it's different for you. I go by what my body responds to, not what others think.

If your taking breaks during the week I don't see the need to take so many breaks. 1 week every 2 in my opinion is just lazy. If your bulking and joints are fine I think you need even less cause of cal surplus. When I am cutting I think more about breaks. I haven't had a whole week off since a year ago last April. Though I've taken plenty of shorter breaks, especially around holidays. I am going to moving soon I'll take some time off then.

taking the right amount of time off is like working out the right way...there is no "right" amount of time off, there is no working out the "right" way

different ppl, different circumstances

the best way to judge when u need time off, is if ur in a work out slump, or are stuck....n ur not overtrainin, eatin right etc...then it just means u need to take a lil break...for sum ppl, a few days is enough....for sum ppl a week or 2 is a good break...it depends on u, n how u feel.....if u feel 4 days break is good, do that....if u feel no break is good, do that....if u feel 2 weeks is good, do that

do whatever works, others' successes and failures can help u learn, but does not limit you to them

Skillz

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    For the record, I'm now taking a two week break every 10-12 weeks. Once a year a three week break.

:withstupi