The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

teacher that doesnt give fractional grades?

has anyone ever had a teacher that would only give solid letter grades, say an A or a B. not an A+, A-, B+, B-, etc?

my damn physics teacher this semester is apparently this way. I thought i was going to get an A-, but apparently my grade fell due to one project, which put me at a B+. But when i checked my grades, I got a B. So I emailed the TA and sure enough, I had an 89 about, but since the teacher doesnt give any fractional grades, I get a B.

How fair is that? So the guy that has an 81 in the class gets the same grade as me although I have an 89?

Im just kind of bent since this is my lowest grade. I was so close to an A and when I found out I didnt even get the plus, I was annoyed.

had to rant..

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

should'nt 81 be a C?
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

Never heard of that before. I sure would be pissed off too.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

Originally posted by RG570
    should'nt 81 be a C?

LOL! Whats a D then? a 73?

I've never heard of teachers only giving out solid grades without correlating it with percentages. If your school calculates gpa by % then you really don't need to worry, if not, I'd suggest getting in contact with the department head to bitch and moan about the situation. Good luck buddy.
    Last edited by Rastaman; 05-23-2003 at 03:50 AM.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

i agree that does suck. my teachers give us fractional grades. like if i got an 89.5 she would round it up to a 90. but a 89.4 would be rounded down to an 89.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    It's usually up to the discretion of the instructor to decide how he/she will structure grades. Some institutions ONLY give whole letter grades and it could be that your instructor came from that system and is used to it. Either way, it's probably a good idea to find out in the beginning what the grading system will be and then aim for a little higher than what you need/want. That way even if you slip up on something, you've got a little cushion.
    Last edited by IceRgrrl; 05-23-2003 at 05:39 AM.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Shouldn't the actual possible grades you can get be standard in any given institution? If what above is true, that makes no sense. If you all have marks out of 100, and there is a generally accepted range on what each percentage means, how hard is it to simply put a damn plus beside a letter when it's been earned?

Sounds absolutely retarded to me, considering how easy it is to resolve this for everyone. It's not like it even requires the professor to think, or do additional work.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Originally posted by ElPietro
    Shouldn't the actual possible grades you can get be standard in any given institution? If what above is true, that makes no sense. If you all have marks out of 100, and there is a generally accepted range on what each percentage means, how hard is it to simply put a damn plus beside a letter when it's been earned?

Sounds absolutely retarded to me, considering how easy it is to resolve this for everyone. It's not like it even requires the professor to think, or do additional work.
    Yeah, Ive heard that some colleges dont give fractional grades, but its the whole institution, not just one class.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

So depending on what institution you go to, you need to make grade adjustments to compare results from school to school? Forgive me, but isn't this the "education" system? You'd expect educated people, to not have such stupid policy, but I guess using the term education here is somewhat ironic, given the circumstances. How hard is it to fricking grade with the same standard. Sure there are tough classes, or tough profs, but you'd figure they'd all have enough intellectual capacity to use the same grading structure. It's not like it's so f*cking hard.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Columbia law school doesnt even give grades, you pass or fail
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    My teacher does that. But, if I got a 91.5, it would drop to an 89.0. WTF?!
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    We should get rid of the + - crap.

A is excellent
    B is above avg
    C is avg
    D is below avg
    F is fail

Seems simple enough and accurate enough to me. Don't need any plus or minus crap.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
    A is excellent
    B is above avg
    C is avg
    D is below avg
    F is fail
    This is the way its always been for me. Grade school, high school and college. There never were any partial points. Its easy enough.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Originally posted by Y2A
    Columbia law school doesnt even give grades, you pass or fail
    Are you serious? How sweet is that... Want to go to law school, don't think I could get into Columbia's program though. I wish all I took was pass/fail classes.
    While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us. -- Ben Franklin

Originally posted by Fightin Irish

Are you serious? How sweet is that... Want to go to law school, don't think I could get into Columbia's program though. I wish all I took was pass/fail classes.
    Thats what my tax law teacher told me last night. You should go to UM law school... for the babes in this city

Personally, I prefer just knowing the percentage. Whether some fool says it's a B, or an A, or a B+, the exact percentage shows what I accomplished.

I just think it should be standard across the board, it's such a trivial matter to decide, yet you see such varied practices. Sure you can have people just pass or fail, or only full grades, but if you want people to excel, and be able to show they've improved, or been rewarded for their achievement, a more thorough grading system is required. Otherwise, most will only do what it takes to get their "pass" or settle for a B, since a B+ is not attainable, while an A is out of reach.

Current FFFA Enforcer

College I went to switched to AB, combining A- and B+. I think you should have some kind of spit. But in the end everybody is playing by the same rules and evens out. THough if you got just one teacher doing it could become unfair on your GPA. Also if you have an 89 at the end of the semester are you going to get a 3 or 3.5 thats what matters.

Originally posted by Y2A

Thats what my tax law teacher told me last night. You should go to UM law school... for the babes in this city
    My cousin went to Columbia's law school, but he was also valedictorian out of Carnegie Mellon. I don't quite have those credentials, but if UM's law school is more reasonable, definitely have to consider it. I heard they have a lot of latino's down there. I love my Latin women

Originally posted by ElPiertro

I just think it should be standard across the board, it's such a trivial matter to decide, yet you see such varied practices
    I concur with your thoughts about your theory of standard grading across the board, but unfortunatley the school system is a never ending battle. There are different universities with different standards, which immediately will change what an A that you earned from an average school may be a B or even a C in certain Ivy League schools. Since that is the way it is, I dont' believe its possible to have a standard grading system across the board, as appealling as the theory may be.
    While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us. -- Ben Franklin

Originally posted by Fightin Irish

My cousin went to Columbia's law school, but he was also valedictorian out of Carnegie Mellon. I don't quite have those credentials, but if UM's law school is more reasonable, definitely have to consider it. I heard they have a lot of latino's down there. I love my Latin women

Latin women EVERYWHERE. I love them too We can have a WBB latina hunt here

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Even if you decide to get rid of plus/minus or use percentages, that doesn't do anything to standardize the system. If I go to an ultra competitive program in an elite school, a 75% there msy be better than a 90% at a dumbass college. Then there's the whole grade inflation syndrome...where A's were rare 25 years ago, now every student expects A's and B's and more A's and B's are often given than C's.

Then there's the matter of curved vs. uncurved or straight scale grading. Does your grade only depend on the percentage of the total points possible that you received or does it depend on what percentage of the class you beat?

At the heart of the matter is the understanding that with any sort of grading system or method of measuring this esoteric thing we call learning, we are trying to quantify what is inherently unquantifiable. Learning is a qualitative process that encompasses a wide range of skills, connections, problem solving ability, common sense, and other intangibles that can never be accurately weighed and measured numerically, so we do the best we can with this grade system.

In any grading system though, the one thing that DOES work in general is that the better students will tend to rise to the top of the stack, no matter what measurement system is being used.
    Last edited by IceRgrrl; 05-23-2003 at 09:54 AM.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

IcR right. When it comes to degrees you need to look more at the school then the GPA the person had. Its tough cause multiplie teachers teach the same class some are better teachers, some just give better grades.
    When I was graduating I had job interviews were they told me they didn't care about my GPA if I graduated MTU it was good enough.

i agree with what you all are saying. its hard to quantify my learning experience in the class, but to get one teacher out of 100 that doesnt follow the same grading system is lame, imo.

i was just annoyed because i am really starting to take my grades and school serious, and this slight lowering of my semester gpa bugs me

im anal, what can i say

Thats the way my college is. Final averages are not fractional. But some professors give out B-- and A-- I have no idea what a B minus minus is suppose to be *shrug*

I like not having fractional grades. Many times, I can go into the final knowing my grade will only change with a 20% or 80% on the final. It takes away pressure.

I also wish schools would be required to curve the class to a C. I'm not saying they have to fail a certain percentage, but they should make certain percentages or standard deviations cutoffs for other grades away from a C. (for example, a new grade every x percent above or below the class average) (pretty much all of my classes do that) It is pretty frustrating hearing all these people from cupcake majors (that half the class gets an A and the other half gets a B) bragging about their GPA. But, once I get done with my major, I'm confident employers will realize that grading is not inflated and a student that merely graduates is probably better than many A students in other majors.
    5-9 170

Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
    We should get rid of the + - crap.

A is excellent
    B is above avg
    C is avg
    D is below avg
    F is fail

Seems simple enough and accurate enough to me. Don't need any plus or minus crap.
    this is the system adapted by the norwegian unis. it suxs. it doesnt weed out the idiots.