The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

hack squat problem

I've only done hack squats a few times and that was with a trainer and not a lot of weight. I have started to work the Wannabebig Routine #1, so I'm doing hack squats. This is my problem, on the way up the bar keeps getting hung up on my ham strings/ the backof my thighs and it can really throw me of balance. Also on the way down I keep hitting my calves which doesn't cause so much of a problem except the big red abrasion marks. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. This is how I learned to do them so you know what my form is:

Feet parallel, shoulder width apart, squat down with bb behind you right up on the ankles. Grip bb with palms facing back, butt out while arching your lower back and push straight up with your legs to full standing position always keeping your back arched. Reverse the process on the way down always arching your back.

Any help would be appreciatied.
    sometimes slowly

My stats:
    Age - 43
    ht - 5' - 7"
    wt - 152 lbs
    bf% - 10.5%
    pipe dream goal 175 lbs @ 10% bf
    making the switch to power lifting

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i only do these when the bar is racked, say 5" off ground, then i can get my feet under the bar, i like it this way better and don't have the problem your talking about

other than that it sound like you got it, but you can go palms forward, backward, opposite each other
    excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.

I don't like them. Hit my calves. I just squat.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    I like them, but squats are a bit better.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

They're not my favorite squat form either but in the Wbb routine 1 you do both reg and hack squats and I'm pretty commited to this program for the next 8 weeks and I hate not being able to figure a lift out. Maybe I'll try with the bar elevated of the ground a bit. And maybe the problem will go away in time.

Thanks all.
    sometimes slowly

My stats:
    Age - 43
    ht - 5' - 7"
    wt - 152 lbs
    bf% - 10.5%

I had the EXACT same problem during my first month or so of WBB 1, then I just switched to two more sets of regular squats and dropped the hacks completely.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

The hack squats aren't as hard on my knees, so for me, personally, they were a nice change...but yes, I have to rub against my hamstrings with my arms and the bar usually hits my calves. It doesn't bother me all that much, though.

its just a part of barbell hack squats i think, as long as u keep form down and do it right, its just an annoyance (if it is to u) that u'll just hav to endure
    Skillz

Bizatch and Skillz, experience tells me you're right. I'll either get used to my hams getting in the way or it will stop happening all together if I persevere.
    sometimes slowly

My stats:
    Age - 43
    ht - 5' - 7"
    wt - 152 lbs
    bf% - 10.5%

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...HackSquat.html

I guess that shows that you can possibly go without rubbing against your legs, but his form was perfect and he doesn't have very big legs.

Originally posted by Bizatch
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...HackSquat.html

I guess that shows that you can possibly go without rubbing against your legs, but his form was perfect and he doesn't have very big legs.
    And he's not lifting very much weight. I can do it like that with 90 lbs on the bar too. Thanks for the link though - at least I know my form is correct.
    sometimes slowly

My stats:
    Age - 43
    ht - 5' - 7"
    wt - 152 lbs
    bf% - 10.5%