Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High calorie foods/shakes? (for bulking)

High calorie foods/shakes? (for bulking)

Can someone list off some high calorie foods for me that would be good as a weight gainer susbstitute - stuff that is high in calories but not too "big".

I'm currently eating a lot of pizza, fries and pasta. I need some extra calories I can't handle eating much more and weight gainer is too expensive.

Thanks
    Last edited by rich; 05-25-2003 at 01:06 PM.

try this:

2 Cups Oats
    2 Scoops Whey
    2 TBSP PB
    2.5 Cups Water

put it all in a blender and blend on high for about 15 seconds.

roughly 1000 calories

much healthier then pizza and all that other junk
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Awesome! Thanks man

Actually the whey would still work out pretty expensive, not much cheaper than gainer. Would it matter if I dropped it from the mix?

Originally posted by rich
    Actually the whey would still work out pretty expensive, not much cheaper than gainer. Would it matter if I dropped it from the mix?
    If you are bulking you could use milk

You could also add in some type of nuts in your diet, or start making up some natty pb sandwiches on ww bread. Both of those would be cheap options and both are calorie dense.

remember the key to bulking is to gain MUSCLE mass, but a couple of pounds of fat come naturally from the extra Cals...

body can't build muscle from pizza or fries.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Well, are there any place in your areas that make smoothies? Well, if there is, ask for a large cup, and tell them to add alot of fruit in. A crapload of carbs and sugar, so you might gain weight quite easily
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Wannabebig New Member

GhettoSmurf...

Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    try this:

2 Cups Oats
    2 Scoops Whey
    2 TBSP PB
    2.5 Cups Water

put it all in a blender and blend on high for about 15 seconds.

roughly 1000 calories

much healthier then pizza and all that other junk
    Are the oats just regular oats? Don't they have to be cooked first?

Nah, raw oats are fine to eat.

nope, raws oats are quite fine.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Milk is great. When bulking I just drink more milk and throw in some pasta. That does it for me.
    Also when you do the math whey isn't that expensive. Optimum 5lbs is about 33 with charges online or 35 at gnc. Thats 72 servings of 22g of protein. You can't get 22 chicken breast for that price.

Milk is great. When bulking I just drink more milk and throw in some pasta. That does it for me.
    Also when you do the math whey isn't that expensive. Optimum 5lbs is about 33 with charges online or 35 at gnc. Thats 72 servings of 22g of protein. You can't get 7 chicken breast for that price.

Originally posted by rich
    hmmmmm, if you wanted to, you could buy some EggBeaters and pour that into the drink. dont know how tasty it would be, but just add a packet or 2 of splenda and maybe it wont be too bad

For protein, lots of eggs (whole) all this egg white crap is for pussies Chicken breast (although rather expensive, you can find the perservative filled frozen chicken breasts that come by the box full are well priced) Extra lean beef, it's actually quite cheap, I've found lots of specials. Canned tuna, very cheap, same goes with milk.

Carbs - Yams/Sweet potatoes (lots of cals, and they are cheap) Brown rice and oats are cheap if you buy them in bulk.

Fats - Natty pb (Cheap when bought in bulk) Incidental fat from the the whole eggs, Olive oil. You can also invest in a good Fish or Flax oil as well.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Originally posted by Manveet
    For protein, lots of eggs (whole) all this egg white crap is for pussies .
    Heh heh, that could lead to clogged arteries than more muscle mass

Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
    body can't build muscle from pizza or fries.
    I would have to disagree with this. You might add a lot of fat but the body would have no problem using the nutrients provided by pizza and fries to build muscle. It might not be the healthiest or best way to go about bulking but you can build muscle.

Originally posted by Ironman8

Heh heh, that could lead to clogged arteries than more muscle mass
    Why is that? Are you saying this because of the amount of cholesterol that whole eggs contain? If so, dietary cholesterol has little effect on blood cholesterol levels.

Originally posted by Manveet
    For protein, lots of eggs (whole) Chicken breast (although rather expensive, you can find the perservative filled frozen chicken breasts that come by the box full are well priced) Extra lean beef, it's actually quite cheap, I've found lots of specials. Canned tuna, very cheap, same goes with milk.

Carbs - Yams/Sweet potatoes (lots of cals, and they are cheap) Brown rice and oats are cheap if you buy them in bulk.

Fats - Natty pb (Cheap when bought in bulk) Incidental fat from the the whole eggs, Olive oil. You can also invest in a good Fish or Flax oil as well.
    Good suggestions and I just wanted to add that you can usually buy the whole chicken a lot cheaper than chicken breasts. It is a little less convenient but will save money nevertheless.

Originally posted by bradley

Why is that? Are you saying this because of the amount of cholesterol that whole eggs contain? If so, dietary cholesterol has little effect on blood cholesterol levels.
    No. I know that dietary cholesterol has little effect on your LDL, and some are good for you, like Omega-3s and Omega 6s.

I was saying eating a CRAPLOAD of eggs might effect your LDL. Due to the saturated fat.

Grounbd beef is good cheap protein. Drain some of the fat off.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Originally posted by bradley

I would have to disagree with this. You might add a lot of fat but the body would have no problem using the nutrients provided by pizza and fries to build muscle. It might not be the healthiest or best way to go about bulking but you can build muscle.
    I agree... I am living proof of that. I have a hard time eatting enough clean foods to meet my calorie req. So I boost it up with "unhealthy" foods like pizza and burgers and fries. I am an ectomorph though so I can kind of get away with it. I have minimal bf at 160lb (year ago i was 125lb).
    w00t

I was saying eating a CRAPLOAD of eggs might effect your LDL. Due to the saturated fat.
    Well I've been eating a crap load of whole eggs for quite some time, no problems thus far
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Eggs only contain 1.5g of saturated fat per large egg which is not much IMO.

by my calcs the whey would work out at about 7/week.. a little over my budget for just an extra few hundred cals/day but there's some awesome suggestions here, thanks
    Last edited by rich; 05-27-2003 at 03:48 PM.