Thread: I can bench more than I squat, this isn't right

I can bench more than I squat, this isn't right

At the moment I can bench 270lbs. I can shoulder press 200lb but I can only squat 220lb.
    This is due to the fact that I neglect legs right throughout the soccer season which is from August to May(no recovery time, I will this year though) and haven't squatted that much in comparison with upperbody.

Im 6ft, 200lbs, 10-12% bf, what do people think I should be squatting. I know there are a lot of variables etc but If i give it the intensity it deserves what should be within my grasp.

So what's the deal? Nobody can tell you what you "should" squat. We really can't tell. Some big guys can't squat to save their lives but got huge legs. Some scrawny kids squat 400. However, if you want to improve on that, there's just one option.
    "And if that doesnt work, bend her over, tear off the stretchpants, and go wild on the little slut. When you're done, drop her like a missed rep. When she's regained her senses, complain that she was making too much noise. She will then realize the error of her ways, and give you her number." - Budiak

"I have a girl that i have ride around with me everywhere, just cuz she's a ditz and amuses me. its great." - Ace Dogg

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Apparantly, your arms are stronger than your legs.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

its not like you need strong legs for soccer anyway, so I should be ok

................wait a minute

There is no way to answer that question accurately. If you don't squat often then there are too many untrained muscles. Also, the form on squats has practically an infinite level of depths. If you do a half squat like most gym toughguys do, then you'd probably be able to do quite a bit of weight as you are mainly just using your quads. If you go down to near parallel it could cut that total in half. On squats even an inch difference in depth could mean the difference between 30 or 40 lbs on your lift.

Go to the gym and find out, this isn't guesshowmuchIcansquat.com. There's only one way for you to know for sure. First time you will probably not lift much, but you will improve quickly as you get used to the lift.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I am squatting at the moment. I am squatting 220lbs and going to parralel. But becuase my legs are lagging behind my upper body, i wanted to know what somebody with similar lifts in bench and shoulder press as me are squatting. Take that I dedicate equal amount of effort to each body part as most people here do from now on.

There is definitley an average correlation in lifts i.e most people that lift seriously and intensely will have similar ratios between different types of lifts

If most people who train each bodypart to the max divide their squat by their bench, I bet most people will have similar answers except people like me who have trained bodyparts in different proportions

I know its a very grey area, Im talking ball park figures here. I reckon that by the end of summer I should get up to 330Lbs

Of the driver ilk
    Well, if you ever talked with Louie Simmons, or Dave Tate, they would tell you that you could be squatting almost 700lbs. That does not mean that you should be there now, just that you have potential to squat that amount of weight. Don't worry about where you are, worry about where your going.
    "42"

Although I am far smaller than you, only 5'7 160-170, I have had the same problem for a while until recently, i got of my ass and started training legs more and better. For a good year or so i benched far more than i sqautted, but my legs were strong, i was always trying to work on technique before going heavy, so IMO weight doesn't matter, i went from 135x8, to 285x1 so...just give it time and keep working hard, I think i am built more for benching if anything but i still sqaut and do other stuff that i don't like such as cardio! but that is a whole different story and i might lose control of myself if i start talking about cardio.
    My Stats:
    5'6" 148
    BF: maybe 8%

Personal bests:

Flat BB Bench: 305x1 Shirt/Chalk
    Squat: 395x1 Suit/Belt/Chalk
    Deadlift: 405x1 Belt/Chalk
    Dips: Bw+3platesx3
    OH Press: 75's
    Decline Bench: 315x3
    DB Bench:95'sx6
    Pushups: 70 in 55 seconds
    Situps: 53 in 49 seconds

Originally posted by ftotti10
    But becuase my legs are lagging behind my upper body, i wanted to know what somebody with similar lifts in bench and shoulder press as me are squatting.
    My bench is close to yours. I bench 285 and squat 370