The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    im sure everyone is tired of these, but here goes...tell me what you think. stats: 19yo, 133lb, 5'9. Id like to add on maybe 15lbs or so.

(Meal 1) 8:30am
    1cup lowfat cottage cheese
    1-1.5cups lowfat yogurt
    banana (if i have any)
    multi-vitamin
    (Meal 2) 12 or 1 (school)
    5 eggs, 2 yolks
    1.5cups oatmeal
    2pc whole wheat bread
    (Meal 3) 4:00pm
    Protein/carb shake
    35g Protein
    60g Carb
    1cup fat free milk
    (Meal 4) 6:00pm
    1can tuna w/ mustard
    steamed wild rice
    corn
    (Meal 5) 8:30pm
    1cup lowfat cottage cheese
    1-1.5cups lowfat yogurt
    (Meal 6) 10:30pm (Postworkout every other day)
    Protein/carb shake
    35g Protein
    60g Carb
    1cup fat free milk

I was also gonna pick up a box of MRP's to take the place of one of those shakes during the day. Thought Id get some Myoplex Mass. Any other good ones? or should I just avoid the MRP's for now?
    thanks to everyone...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

seems VERY low in fat..

In fact where is the fat ?

Throw in some fat sources for each of your meals.. Peanuts, flax oil etc...

thanks for replying Hulk...
    so im going to buy some Flaxseed Oil then, but how many
    times should i take it? i was thinking about throwing in
    2tbsp sometime in the morning...

Kaboom.. ??
    i Can't see any fat in your diet... Your diet looks like almost NO FAT..... 2 Tbsp of Flexseed oil won't do enough..
    i was 115lb like 3 1/2 months ago and now i'm 145.. I could have gone bigger if i had proper diet and stuff.. Just like you, i did not have much fat in my diet.. What i recommend you is try to have 25% of your calories from fat.. My diet ratio is 50/25/25 carb being 50%... I'm still trying to gain some weight..

Dabomber,

where do you get your sources of fat? I have some peanuts and was gonna get Flaxseed oil, any other ideas?

and about your ratio of 50/25/25, since your protein is 25%, exactly how much protein per grams do you try to take in each meal?

Dabomber, you need some fat in each meal..

raw peanuts are excellent.. A handfull gives you about 15 grams of fat and about 7 grams of protein.. (35 grams)

Also a teaspoon of flax gives you 5 grams of fat...

For me I was eating about 18 grams of fat per meal..

I am now on less at 10 grams, but still use the same sort of stuff but less..Use mayo with tuna, amd real cheese etc...

Kaboom.. ??
    Huh?? Hulk~~ what are you talking about?? i did not post this Thread.... haha.. i think you misread something here

ROFLMAO!! haha..

BTW LICK Here's how you calculate protein and such...

I used to weigh 145(now 150 so i have to up my cal)
    to get the gram of protein you get 1~1.5 g per pound .. i like taking little more excess protein so 1.5... multiply 145x1.5 then it comes out 217.5 i dont give a !@#$ for .5g of protein so it's 217 each g of protein has 4kcal so dat's 868kcal from protein... and about carb, i set up my ratio so i get half of kalories from carb .. so 3200/2=1600kcal and dat's about 400g of carb.. and 1600+868=2468 and there's 732kcal left which are gana be fat.. dat's about 82g of fat(little less but again.. 0.5g???)
    Total=
    1600kcal - Carb 50% -400g
    868kcal - Protein 27% -217g
    732kcal - Fat 23% -82g

it's little off but close enough...

Good Fat source?? i get most of my fat from natty peanutbutter and flexseed oil and some from my weight gainer.. Try to consume good amount of carb in the morning and gradually decrease for evening snack and dinner.... ex)i eat 90g of carb in morning, 110g postworkout(5pm) ,30g for dinner and 20g for evening snack..

Oh and about fat on each meal.. i dont think consistancy of fat amount is not necessary... some of my meal has as high as 15~20g fat and some has as low as 4g... i guess it's up to you how to plan it

[Edited by Dabomber on 02-04-2001 at 08:28 AM]

Why do all of you advice people to consume lots of fats?I have tried many diets and nothing is better than eating lots of complex and low gi carbs(50-60%),low fat(~15% from flaxseed and other healthy fats)and the rest from protein(25-35%).You may reply that:"fat doesn't make you fat",and that "only the amount of calories you don't burn can be stored as bodyfat" but I disagree,cause the process of complex carbs is much different.. Don't tell me about "carb sensitive individuals",Chris Mason gave the answer in a very interesting post.
    Peace out..

Blackalpha : 15% fat is one thing..

But from the diet Lick posted fat is virtually non existent..

Kaboom.. ??
    Fat plays an important roll in your metabolism... Sure Fat like in Ribs and butter etc can make you fat with GREAT COMBINATION WITH SIMPLE SUGAR!!!... hey but good fats like in peanuts, Cold processed vege oils(FLEXSEED oil) etc won't make you fat in moderation..omega6 or 3 fats are essential fats.. that's why they're called EFA.. Fat also elevates your hormonal level to some extent..

BTW Lick was eating about 20g of fat a day i guess... and dat's not even 15%....

oh and lick i just noticed that you were taking 2 protein/carb shake... (i assume dat's a weight gainer) try to take that after workout once.. and replace others into Real food... In weight gainer, there's lots of fast absorbing carbs such as maltodextrine which has high GI.. just eat some sandwich instead... just my $0.02

[Edited by Dabomber on 02-04-2001 at 12:14 PM]

alright guys, i think i have figured out a sort of caloric breakdown of what you have recommended.
    if i was going to have 1.5g protein per lb, then x that by 135, and ill get around 202.5 g protein a day. that should be 810 calories? if i wanted half my calories from carbs, and i was on a 3200 calorie diet like Dabomber, then thats 1600/4 = 400g carb a day. for fat, that should leave me 990 cals so divide that by four for the grams, and i get 247.5 grams of fat a day. Then i divided all of this by 6 (how many meals im gonna have a day) to get my grams per meal.
    this comes down to:
    34g protein per meal
    67g carbs per meal
    41g fat per meal

is that correct? if so, that seems like a lot of fat per meal. should i maybe lower it? maybe ive done some the the calculations wrong, ive never counted calories till now...

that fat has got to be half of what i came up with right?
    i just dont know what the hell im doing

It's 110gr. of fat,so 18gr. per meal.(btw,you must notice that in the postworkout you should have 0gr. of fat,so divide 110/5=22.You still are not supposed to eat the same amounts of fat per meal.Your breakfast has more calories than your dinner,so you must go with it)

Kaboom.. ??
    Lick your Calculation is wrong.. You gotta divide Fat kcal by 9.. since Fat has 9 kcal per gram.. =)..

okay, thanks guys. let me get this straight. protein has 4kcals per gram, as do carbs, while fat is 9kcal per gram right?
    what i need to do is include up to 20 grams per fat in five of my daily meals, excluding postworkout, or 6 on rest days, with preferably more in the morning than in the evening.

fat sources i plan to include will be unsalted peanuts, natty peanut butter, and flaxseed oil. does that sound about right?

again, thank you guys for your help...

Kaboom.. ??
    oh yeah you are on the right track...

Wannabebig Member
    Lick:

I have a few questions to ask you about your macronutrient plan.

1. Why do you think you need 1.5 grams of protein/lb of bodyweight? Are these recommendations from a book or study that you read?

2. Where do you get your vitamin A source?

3. Where do you get your vitamin C source?

4. Your diet should always have at least 15% of the calories from fat.

**supplements are designed to do exactly that....supplement your diet...not take place. Give these questions some thought and let me know your thoughts.