The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Big

How many sets for each body part do some of you do? Do I do too many?

For the past year, I have done 12-15 sets for chest(4 exercises) and 9 for most everything else(Triceps, Biceps, Shoulders) etc. Am I doing too many?

Also, how many sets and what exercises do some of you do for shoulders? I do only dumbell shoulderp press and shoulder flies.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    How many reps?
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Big
    Back/Bi/Tri/Shoulder 3 sets 8 reps......Chest(Incline DB 3*8, Decline 3*8, Flies 3*8, and chest 5 sets 8 6 4 3 and 2 reps

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Is it working or do you often find yourself overtrained? If it is working, I wouldnt tell you to change.

3-5 sets for back, then
    1-2 for bis

3-4 for chest,
    3-4 for delts, then
    1-2 for tris

2 triple-drops for calves,
    1 double-drop for hams + 1 for each individually
    2-4 for the rest.
    "And if that doesnt work, bend her over, tear off the stretchpants, and go wild on the little slut. When you're done, drop her like a missed rep. When she's regained her senses, complain that she was making too much noise. She will then realize the error of her ways, and give you her number." - Budiak

"I have a girl that i have ride around with me everywhere, just cuz she's a ditz and amuses me. its great." - Ace Dogg

And Swole, how long have you been lifting? And are you tired frequently?

I would be. Sometimes I feel like am overtraining at this low volume.
    "And if that doesnt work, bend her over, tear off the stretchpants, and go wild on the little slut. When you're done, drop her like a missed rep. When she's regained her senses, complain that she was making too much noise. She will then realize the error of her ways, and give you her number." - Budiak

"I have a girl that i have ride around with me everywhere, just cuz she's a ditz and amuses me. its great." - Ace Dogg

I'm around 9-12 each for chest and back and around 6-9 each for bi's, tri's, shoulders, quads, hammimes and calves.

Reps for upper body are around 5-8 and lower body are 6-10.
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    if your still progressing with that routine, then stick with it IMO. That is similar to what I did my first year BB where I did 8,6,4,2,2,2 for compound movements and 3-4 sets of 8 for the rest of my workout. I also ate a LOT of food.

If you are not progressing then even a small change as in cutting the number of sets for compound exercises down to 4 and only doing 2-3 sets for your other exercises can get you progressing again. Changes in routines dont have to be extreme to get results.
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Big
    I'm progressing, but I feel like I could be more and that I might have hit a plateau. Weird because I haven't hit one in a long time, ever since I was at the 225 days. I've bene lifting for about 3 years now.

Well, sounds like you're not overtraining. I would stick with your routine then

Tir na nOc Pursuer Borgod Maxximus's Avatar
    ask, is that per workout and/or per week?

thats a much lower set load than I do per week.

me...
    chest - total 4 warmupsets, 9 intense sets (all to failure)

tris - 1 warmup set, 3 intense sets (all to failure)

shoulders - 4 warmup sets, 8 intense sets (only shoulder presses to failure)

back - 4 warmup sets, 11 intense sets (not to failure)

bis - 3 warmup sets, 9 intense sets (to failure)

etc

thats my general routine during the week... usual push/pull/shoulder split

I do lots of warmups because of my shoulders
    All those exercises are with dumbells and an Ezcurl bar

Thoughts?
    "In the pool of dreams, the water darkens for the soul thats tired of search"

Varg Vikernes

Borgod, I divided it into three days, because I train 3 days a week, so that back-bi is all I do on day 1. I know it looks ridiculous, but I didn't include any of the warm-up sets. And you have to remember that I do drop-sets, forced reps, negatives and forced negatives etc., so once I've completed a heavy, intense set of bb rows there's no way I'm lifting the bar again - time to move on to the next excersise. So basically, if i feel like I can hit another set, use more weight, do less reps - that's what I'm gonna do! And I also employ a lot of supersets and all that fun stuff. My workouts are super brief, and I don't give bodyparts like bis and tris as much as I used to.

Oh, and when I ease up a bit (like every 3rd week) I employ more set and less intensity.

Man, why do you do as much as 9 sets for biceps but only 3 for triceps, the bigger muscles? Of course, if you train your tris after completing shoulder and pec work - but wouldn't that logic apply to back-bi section, too?

Tir na nOc Pursuer Borgod Maxximus's Avatar
    Yeah you're right, I guess I do do too much back, but I may be overcompensating with rows, since I can do chins or latpulldowns anymore (home gym restrictions)
    Last week I did those 11 sets for my back, then hit the bicepts and couldnt lift anything. This week Im gonna do bicepts before back.

I wasnt thinking of the logic as you pointed out (or lack of)

I know which back exercise Im gonna drop already.
    "In the pool of dreams, the water darkens for the soul thats tired of search"

Varg Vikernes