The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Nothing

Refeeds/Carb ups

For all of those who have or are cutting:

Do you go all out on refeeds or do you count the amounts of carbs and calories you take in on refeeds? I'm asking this because I'm an endomorph, and i'm afraid if i go all out and just eat whatever on a refeed day i will f*ck up my progress instead of gaining the benefits.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Basically my refeeds are like this. I eat my normal amount of protein, I stray away from most all fat I can avoid. And I allow myself to most any carb I want. I don't go all crazy and eat myself until my stomache hurts. I just eat as if I weren't a bodybuilder, casually like a normal 16 year old kid.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Re: Refeeds/Carb ups

Originally posted by bryancore

Do you go all out on refeeds or do you count the amounts of carbs and calories you take in on refeeds? I'm asking this because I'm an endomorph, and i'm afraid if i go all out and just eat whatever on a refeed day i will f*ck up my progress instead of gaining the benefits.
    I think you should plan your refeeds just as you would your diet. Hence the reason that they are called refeeds and not cheat days. I don't think you need to count every calorie or carb that you eat but just don't pick up a bag of cookies and a half a gallon of ice cream for the sake of a refeed.

When overfeeding on both carbs and fat which is usually the case when someone is going "all out" your body will be using the carbs as energy/glycogen and the fat will be stored as fat.

I do think it is okay to have cheat foods if you have the craving for them but just eating them all day is not the ideal way to go about refeeding IMO.

Just stick to high carb foods that have minimal fat, and you will be fine. This can still be fun. Just pick up some kid cereal that you usually wouldn't get to have, etc. Be a little creative
    Last edited by bradley; 05-26-2003 at 02:05 PM.

IMO i wouldnt "go all out" i mean, i know if i were cutting or doing a CKD and was going to have a planned carb up, i'd look through the kid cereal section

IMO i'd try to stick with high carb foods, and try to avoid high amounts of fat.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

The Nothing
    Pretty much the opposite of a CKD?

Regular Days: Low Carbs, High Fats
    Refeeds: High Carbs, Low fats

right?

exactly. i've heard quite a few people on the www.c-k-d.com board basically say that on the carb refeed days, they keep protein the same, but switch the fat and carb ratios.

so like if you are eating 30/10/60 p/c/f (**just a ratio im using as an example**) on your normal days, then you would try to have 30/60(or more)/10(or less) on your refeed.

but yes you are exactly correct
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Here is an article that might be of help:

http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/...genic-diet.htm

hmmm, I just found out that many cereals contain partially hydrogenated oils.... that oreo case should be against cereals since most children and adults eat cereal for breakfast
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

what cereals contain partially hydrogenated oils? i thought MOST kids cereals were very low in fat, and therefor unlikely to have the oils? can you tell me some of those cereals that have the oils?

Hulking bulking bruiser Minotaur's Avatar
    I eat whatever I want on my refeed days. I don't eat a lot, I don't make a pig of myself, I just eat what I want. And it's working.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    what cereals contain partially hydrogenated oils?
    Doesn't some granola have some added partially hrydrogented fats?
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

yes granola. but im talking about kids cereal (lucky charms, frosted flakes, cookie crisp, etc.)

Oh.

Is Honey Nut Clusters considered a kids cereal? I think that has partially hydrogented fat in it.

well note the "nut" part of the title. there's your answer...

I'd say most "kid" cereals are just high sugar concentrated cereals, like cinnamon toast crunch, lucky charms, etc.

Wannabebig Member

Re: Refeeds/Carb ups

Originally posted by bryancore

I have been using 6 hour, more or less uncontrolled refeeds done twice a week. I can usually eat between 700-800 grams carbs before I start feeling sick. I try to limit fat to some extent but that is about it. I just have fun with the rest of it. So far it has been working.

If you have a huge appetite like me and still don't want to count kcals, you might try the shorter refeeds first. Daylong refeeds can be a problem done like that sometimes.

yes, but is 6 hours long enough to refil muscle glycogen(sp?) that you lose while on keto?

yes, but is 6 hours long enough to refil muscle glycogen(sp?) that you lose while on keto?
    I wouldn't think so assuming that the individual is fully depleted. The enzymes that are involved in storing the glycogen will be what limits the amount of glycogen replenishment. Just cramming in the required amount of carbs over a 6 hour time period is not going to cause glycogen levels to be topped off.

From what I have read you should be able to refill muscle glycogen completely with a 24 hour carb up assuming that you performed a depletion workout before beginning the carb up and a sufficient amount of carbs were consumed during the carb up.

Although the first 6 hours after the depletion workout will be the time when the greatest amount of carbs can be used to refill muscle glycogen.

And wasn't there a theory that you should start your carb up before you go to sleep, and then continue the next day?

Originally posted by Ironman8
    And wasn't there a theory that you should start your carb up before you go to sleep, and then continue the next day?
    You are thinking about the NHE style carbs ups which is where the individual only carbs up over the last one or two meals of the day. Faigin recommends carbing up before going to sleep to avoid the swings in blood sugar that can cause hunger. What he refers to has "hormonal hunger."

This would not really be relevant in what is discussed above, seeing as how you would be carbing up for just one day total.

well the three cereals that I have in my pantry(Cinnamon toast crunch, LOW FAT granola cereal thingy from Kelloggs, and the Oreo cereal<~~die die die!) contain either Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil and/or Cottonseed Oil
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

from what i have read from lyle (and my own personal experience), an improper refeed may make or break your results. it is my opinion that refeeding the "right" way is just as important as keeping carbs low for a proper keto diet. too much/too long of a refeed means all the extra goes right back into fat storage.

however - for all those who continue to make progress doing what they want, then more power to you. i just don't think that a keto newbie should start off with such flexibility.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

Originally posted by Ironman8
    actually, with a CKD diet, people do carb up for 36 hours sometimes. right when they are done with there depleation session, and then continuing the next day.

so i dont think that only applies to a NHE diet.

actually, with a CKD diet, people do carb up for 36 hours sometimes. right when they are done with there depleation session, and then continuing the next day.

so i dont think that only applies to a NHE diet.
    Yes I am aware of that, but I was referring to a 24 hour carb up(see the post above Ironman8's). Obviously if you are carbing up for more 24 hours you will have to sleep sometime, unless you plan to stay awake for the duration of your carb load.

on my carb up...i wake up on saturday morning and i eat whatever the hell i want all day through sunday night. 36 hours. i am at about 14 percent bodyfat and i am having great results. not anything unusual, the fat is coming off slowly but surely. i also have been doing this on and off for about 2 years. so i think my body is adjusted to it. i would not advise a newbie to do what i do. take time to do it right, then after you get comfortable adjust to what works for you!