Thread: CKD pre/post workout shake

Wannabebig Member

CKD pre/post workout shake

I know the importance of post workout feedings, but I am not sure what I should be having while on a CKD diet.

Right now I am eating about 8oz of ground beef with cheese 2 hours before my workout and then i have 25 grams protein powder(mix of whey isolate, whey concentrate, caesin) mixed with 1 tbsp p-nut butter imediatly after the workout.

Is this good, bad, or ugly?

I really want to hang onto as much muscle as possible, so I know the importance of these meals!

Btw, I usually eat about 5 scrambled eggs and maybe a couple sausage patties about an hour and a half after my post workout shake if that helps with the info.

Brian

unfortunately- i don't think you can win with the OPTIMUM pre/post workout meals on a CKD. optimum requires protein and easily digestible carbs with no fat. in this case, i would stick with the protein only, save the pb for later. additionally - you should only be training 2x during the keto phase, cuz right after your depletion workout, you carb binge.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

Wannabebig Member
    you should replace the pb with carbs like dextrose/maltodextrin or oats

The Nothing
    If you are going to be on CKD, and you want carbs POST workout, add 20g of dextrose to your shake, but you have to be VERY careful not to have any other carbs other than that. It will kick you off ketosis.

then it is NOT a ckd if there are carbs involved.
    a TKD allows for carbs before and after training - not a CKD.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

Wannabebig Member
    I'm with Raniali on this one, no carbs after workout while on CKD.

I wanted to know which protein would be best, such as Isolate, caesin, a combination or ??? And if i should add fat to it like a scoop of peanut butter. Thinking about it, i should go just protein with no fat until my next feeding.

Brian

Wannabebig Member
    well lots of people at the forums on c-k-d.com have dextrose after a workout and they still dont get bumped out of ketosis

Wannabebig Member
    Pinoy- I can see what your saying. If I went 0-10 grams carbs all day and then added about 20 grams dextrose to my shake, I would probably be ok for the day and stay in ketosis... or would i with that many simple carbs ingested all at once?

BUT, would 20 grams dextrose even be that beneficial. I always thought that a typical post workout shake should be fairly high in simple carbs, like 40+. Interesting.

Brian

Like Raniali said if you are going to take in carbs postworkout, then that would be considered a TKD. Even if you did decide to perform a TKD, I would recommend taking carbs pre-workout rather than postwokout. The pre-workout carbs are less likely to disrupt ketosis compared to postworkout carbs. Go with 25-50g of carbs preworkout if you decide to perform a TKD. If you want to take in more than 50g of carbs around training then you should split the carbs and take half preworkout and half postworkout.

As far as the original question I would mix in some type of fat like olive oil in your postworkout shake. This would prevent the protein from being converted to glucose but at the same time not slowing digestion, which would happen if you use pb.

Originally posted by FattyBri
    BUT, would 20 grams dextrose even be that beneficial. I always thought that a typical post workout shake should be fairly high in simple carbs, like 40+. Interesting.
    The whole idea behind the CKD is to store up enough glycogen for the two workouts that follow the carb load. For example, if your carb load ends on Sunday you would more than likely train on Monday and Tuesday since you just topped off your glycogen stores. You then perform a depletion workout at the end of the week before the carb up and start the whole process over again. With a TKD you don't carb up every weekend because you are refilling glycogen stores by ingesting preworkout carbs. I really don't see the point in combing the two.

Although I would recommend a periodic refeed while performing a TKD if you are <15%bf, which would help keep leptin levels in check. This is a built in plus when performing the CKD.
    Last edited by bradley; 05-28-2003 at 02:18 PM.

ive heard of people taking 20-30g of dextrose while on a CKD, and not get kicked out of keto, becuase the carbs get sent to the muscles so rapidly. they even post about this @ www.c-k-d.com .
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    ive heard of people taking 20-30g of dextrose while on a CKD, and not get kicked out of keto, becuase the carbs get sent to the muscles so rapidly. they even post about this @ www.c-k-d.com .
    That would be called a TKD though would it not? I think this was said above as well.

I never said that it was not possible to consume postworkout carbs and not disrupt ketosis. Although I still think that you are less likely to disrupt ketosis by ingesting preworkout carbs. The reason I say this is that exercises generally causes insulin levels to decrease, which is what you want when performing a ketogenic diet (low insulin levels). Although blood glucose could become elevated after training, but most individuals will not have any problem with this. If this were to occur then I would recommend decreasing carb intake preworkout.

If you were to consume carbs postworkout the probability that blood glucose will become elevated is much greater than if you were taking in preworkout carbs. I never said that it was not possible to consume preworkout carbs and remain in ketosis, but it is less likely.