The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Squats with weak knees

Hi guys and gurls. I am new to this forum and I appreciate any and all help.

I am 27, 215lbs, about 25% and I am getting into BB to shape up (been a month since starting). The problem is I can't do squats without experiencing pain in my knees. This occurs only towards the last bit of the lowering phase and the initial push-off. I haven't tried squatting in a while now so I couldn't tell you how heavy I could go. I do the leg press on the "angled-sled leg press" instead 360lbsx8, 360lbsx8 and 410lbsx8.

I want to do squats so bad. Is there anyway I could safely start doing squats at heavier weights? Would it help to wrap the knees? My knees are odd in that my shins seem to flare out at the knees. That is, when I fully extend my legs with my knees together, my feet are about 4" apart. Does this have anything to do with it? Anybody with similar problems?

To repeat myself, thanks for your help.
    Last edited by RedBetta; 05-28-2003 at 09:02 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    do you have any history of knee problems (joint issues, etc?)

are you saying that you can't put your knees and your ankles together at the same time?

do you have access to an experienced squatter/trainer/friend? there is no substitute for someone physically watching/spotting you

Hey Callahan.

Nope. No history of knee problems except for weird bent thing.

Yes. If I am sitting in a chair and I straighten out my legs to lock with my knees together, my feet are apart by about 4".

Nope. Not an experienced squatter/trainer/fiend. That's another reason I don't do squats. But I WON"T go heavy without a spotter in any excercise.

The pain came when I was doing just 200lbs approx.

Thanks Callahan.
    You are only as strong as your weakest link...

Wannabebig Member
    I have bad knees too. The doctor told me to stop doing squats, but I won't. I wrap mine. I have some wraps that are flexable (similar to ACE bandage), not the powerlifting style. I wrap them only tight enough to keep the pain down, but not enough that they are assisting me in my lift. They aren't so tight that I can't wear them the whole time I'm squatting as opposed to removing them and re-wrapping each time I squat.
    I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong

Of the driver ilk
    Are your knees going past your toes when you are in the bottom position? And is your stance wide?
    "42"

Backdraft: I'll try wrapping like you mentioned. But isn't it bad to ignore knee pain? Does wrapping counter that?

Xg74: The last time I tried, I did a wide stance. That was less painfull, almost bearable. But still... I just tried a weight-free squat. My knees extend about an inch past my toes. That's not too bad is it?

Fellas, thanks for your advice. I really do appreciate it.

Red

Under Construction
    I think your form may be off. When squatting, use a wide stance, keep your back straight, and pretend as if you are sitting on a chair or stool, do not let you knees go past your toes. Doing that puts a lot of stress on the knees. That may help.
    Just one guy's opinion.

mpi: I'll try to check my form. Thanks.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Learn to squat right and then worry about poundages. I compete in powerlifting and squat close to 3x my bodyweight. Even with that on my back in the hole I can keep my shins straight up and down. You have to learn to squat wider and push your knees out so they don't come in and move forward.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Latman: That's it.

Guys, it WAS my form after all! I feel stoopid. But thanks for the help and advice. This morning was legs and I started off with 185lbs with a wide stance and concentrated on keeping my knees apart. That was it. The pain was barely noticeable to nonexistant. So I think I will use wraps next time. Thanks again.

Red