The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member
    Hey bros, I nedd some serious upper back help, I have got a space between my shoulder blades that is empty. My lats are proportionate to the rest of my body but, traps and rhomboids are non existant. Right now in my workout I do chins, bent over rows, and cornor row. I have no access to a low pulley, or tbar row so thee are out. I would like to do deads, but I am afraid my low back wouldn't recover enough to due squats. Heard powercleans are good, but don't know how to perform them. I am just coming off a nasty shoulder injury that I think was a result of this muscle imbalance in my back. Please give some advice.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Dead Sexy Member
    Try upright rows

Slowly Getting larger
    i use lat pull downs ,bent over rows and shrugs behind my body aswell as infront so everything balances out it seems to be working
    Many things in life will catch your eye,few will catch your heart...Pursue those

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Work the deads into your routine. I do deads once evry nine or so days. I do squats about 4-5 days after deads. Good balance for me and they hit my whole back hard!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

If you have access to a barbell and a corner, you have a Tbar row ...
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

http://www.testosterone.net/html/body_85back.html
    this is a good article. this is the second time i posted it in the last couple of days
    LESS IS MORE

For traps IMO the deadlift is the number one exercise..

I didnlt have particulary good traps before I started these and from them they grew loads..

Not sure if my traps were going to be a good point and traps just brought them out but heavy deadlifts did the job for sure..

So what do behind the body shrugs do that normal shrugs don't?...
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Slowly Getting larger
    i feel that they build the traps from a different angle ,i may be wrong but i use front and back anyways and i feel my traps are growing evenly
    Many things in life will catch your eye,few will catch your heart...Pursue those

I would be careful with deads if you are looking to bring up the rhomboids and middle.

They are responsible for retracting your shoulder blades back during the deadlift,if they are lagging then most likely you will develope a improper firing pattern in those muscles.

Try doing bent rows with a pronated grip with the elbows flared.
    Seated cable rows just retracting the shoulder blades bvack with the arms straight.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    Mac, just curious, why would the deads help devlop an improper firing pattern in the rhomboids? I wish I still had access to a low cable, or seated row, but I do not any more. The reason I am so worried about this area is that the muscles are so weak/streched, that my shoulder round forward allowing for nasty shoulder impingement. Also this is making my chest lag because my pecs are not involve in my bench as much in my delts. Plus, who doesn't want a nice thick mid/upper back. I was thinking of hang cleans or power cleans, but I have nobody in my gym to show my proper form, or critique mine. I do Love to deadlift, but won't put it back in my routine if it is gonna make things worse.

Wannabebig Member
    bump, anyone?

Sorry for the delay,You probally are suffering from either Sway Back Posture or Kyphosis Lordosis Posture.

Sway back includes:Forward head due to weak neck flexors
    Neck slightly extended:tight neck extensors
    Thoracic spine: Long or weak Thoracic spine extensors
    Lumbar Spine flexed:Tight upper ectus abdominus
    Pelvisosterior tilt
    etc.... theres more

Same with the Kyphosis Lordosis.The point is,is that simply doing deads,tbar rows or cable rows won't do the job because they are only addressing part of the problem.If your posture is out in one area,chances are it's out in another area.

First thing you want to do is go to a Physiotherapist who can do a postural analysis and then prescribe the corrective exercises.They will usally start with whats called static posture,it's basically the position your body takes during rest,then they will work on your dynamic posture, that is how your body is positioned during movment whatever it may be.

Stretching will help.They usally give certain ones to do.

As far as a improper firing pattern,when a muscles is in a weakened ( in your case it is long and weak) position it will not respond properly,usally the body compensates by using different muscles to initiate the movement or stabilize during the movement ,it has more to do with working on making sure you have a proper scapular humeral rythm.(I hope I said that right)

I would suggest working on the shoulder and your imbalances which one is obviously the rhomboids and probally other muscle as well,some may need to be simply strengthened other will need to be strecthed.

I like the saying of Paul Chek...."isolate then integrate"
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Wannabebig Member
    Mac, I don't quite know which posture problem I have, but I know I have very tight hams, which make my lower back "slouched more". Also, I do alot of computer work, so that is one of the main reasons for the forward shoulders. I just bought a book called "Posture:Get it straight". Supposedly a very good book for my condition. I was just wondering if there were any exercise that would help my acheive a nice upper/mid back. I mean, not much is more powerfull looking than a thick upperback. I will say this though, since squeezeing my shoulders down and back during flat bench I had to drop my bench weight a bit, but my pecs have grown an astonishing amount. back to my question though, what would you recommend to hit the rhomboids, or the area I am concerned with.

First I would start stretching your tight areas at least twice a day once in the morning and once before bed,in a month you'll see a notice able difference.Do gentle static stretches,if you had someone who was knowledagble you could do some PNF streching but that needs to be done by someone who knows his or her stuff.

For the rhomboids I would suggest floor flattners and ,bent rows with a light weight,making sure to keep the elbows out in a 90 degree angle with a pronated grip,this is a tough exercise if done properly,usally the lower back will tire first.Also doing what is called a handcuff strecth which actually is a isometric exercise will help also,you can do it at work sitting in your chair lean back slightly and place your hands interlocked behind your head and try to imagine touching your elbows together which is impossible.Keep the neck retracted and this will be a toughy as well.Make sure to take periodic breaks throughout the day to stretch.As for reps and sets I would start with doing these exercises 2-3 x's a week for 2-3 sets each doing 8-15 reps.Oh ya another exercise one that you can do as much as you like is called neck retraction,it looks funny but it works,place your finger on your chin and retract your neck back while looking straight ahead the n protract the neck back to it's original starting place,be carful not to exaggerate the movement.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Wannabebig New Member
    POWER CLEANS can't beat em
    "of course it's heavy that's why they call it weight"