Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powerlifting meet results!!!

Hybrid View

Powerlifting meet results!!!

Hey guys, I had a meet this past weekend, I did bench only, weighed in at 247 lbs, 28 years of age, which put me in the Men's Open 275 lb Class.

Opened at 500, which was very easy, then went to 550 for my second attempt, which I got, ackwardly for a new state record, beating the old record by 10 lbs. I missed 575 on my 3rd attempt due to poor setup, and tweaking my elbow at the bottom of the attempt. Elbow is fine now.

I have a link to the video's of these 3 attempts. They are in post number 15 on the page the link takes you to. Numbers 5,6 and 7, I think are my 3 attempts.

http://boards.elitefitness.com/forum...4&pagenumber=2

There have been questions on this board in the past about what a competition bench press looks like vs. a regular bodybuilding bench press, also there have been numerous questions about bench shirts, etc. . . Hopefully these video clips will answer some of those questions, and maybe get more people fired up about powerlifting.

B.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Great job B! Do you think holding on to those few extra pounds and not staying down in the 242's helped a lot? My buddy is close to yourweight and we have a meet coming up. He was thinking of just eating and weighing like 250 insead of being careful and coming in at 241-242.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Out frigging standing bro!
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

Regarding the weight, I don't think it made a bit of difference. I could very easily have lifted at 242, but I have a training partner that lifted at 242, and could have broke the 242 bench record had he had a great day, so I lifted at 275 to give him a chance to set that record (which he did not). but he did squat 905, and totalled 2075, despite only getting one deadlift in.

Tell your freind to drop to 242 if he can. Best to be the biggest guy in your class. But I know everyone in the state that is a big bencher and it did not matter to me who showed up, I know there is only one guy in the state right now under 300 lbs that can out bench me.

B.

thats alot of weight....awesome job BM
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

DAMN! You're my hero. Excellent job bro. How long before you think you'll be hittin 600?

Nice work benchmonster!
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

awsome job bro! much better then i could ever do
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

As much as I'd like to see your videos I will not purchase a platnium membership.

Great job anyways!
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I downloaded it Maki...Good job BM..550 looked smooth.
    Last edited by heathj; 05-28-2003 at 09:31 PM.

lookin thick, amazing lift!
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Senior of Kinesiology
    Congrats on the record! Great lifts!
    Meet PR: 290lb bench press, 505lb dead lift @ 190lbs

Current Training: Yoga and Weightlifting

5'11'', Male, 175lbs, age 22

That's excellent man!!! You really know you've been training hard when 500 comes up "easily" I am very impressed and honoured to chat on the same board as you.

I haven't competed yet but I am currently training for the Australian National record @ 75kg bodyweight. The bench only record is 145kg in u-23 75kg class so I'm about 25kg out. I see myself as eventually being dominant in 75kg class or mediocre in 85kg class. Right now i'm finding it hard to get above 72kg bodyweight because of work and uni.

Benchmonster offer me some general advice and words of wisdom please, you are legend!!

Great job!

(I also won't give Spellwin my money, but I'm sure the vids are enlightening)

900+ squat at 242?!?!? That's awesome.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I saw the videos yesterday and didn't have to pay. Have they changed something?

Awesome job BM! That's a helluva bench. Damn impressive!

In competition do you have to hold it at the bottom for a second or 2 or is it just once it touches can you press up? Seems like on 550 they waited a pretty good time before telling you to press.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Could just be that I'm an idiot.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

LMAO!! I hardly doubt that.

Does it ask you to sign in or something? Maybe I'm just special.
    What is elite?

No. I just goofed and assumed.

You can't see pics posted there without paying, but the vids are hosted elsewhere, so that's no problem.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

HY, you are of course, special.
    Last edited by rookiebldr; 05-29-2003 at 07:43 AM.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

I am not a platinum member and I saw them all. I just clicked on them and watched. Thanks for the congrats everyone.

And Hercule, as for the 600, I talked with Sebastian Burns yesterday (725 bench at 265 bodyweight) who told me my setup was terrible, I had no arch, and I was plenty strong enough to be benching 600 right now if I would just get set on the bench properly. He invited me up to train with him to teach me how to get on the bench properly and assured me I would bench 600 before I went back home.

So definately by the end of the year 600 will go, and maybe much quicker if I can get my form down better.

As for general advice on the bench, read everything you can find by Louie Simmons, Dave Tate, Sebastian Burns or Bill Crawford. And whatever you do, you must buy Sebastian's tape. It is invaluable info, even tho I have as yet not brought it into practice.

www.elitefts.com and www.metalmilitia.net has all kinds of good stuff. Lots of 700+ benchers at both clubs.

B.

Oh, and Home Yeild,

Yes, you do have to hold the bar on your chest/belly till you recieve a "Press" command from the head judge. They are supposed to call Press as soon as the bar is steady on the chest and under control. This rule is to avoid the bouncers that like to drop the bar on their chest, let it spring off thier ribs and catch it halfway up to try and lock it.

B.

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    No. I just goofed and assumed.

You can't see pics posted there without paying, but the vids are hosted elsewhere, so that's no problem.
    Gotcha, I was thinking that hey had rehosted them and you couldn't get to them without paying.

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    HY, you are of course, special.
    And don't I know it!

Benchmonster, that makes sense for safety as well as keeping things level. I think I'd have a hard time dropping weight like that on my chest and trying to bounce it off. That could hurt just a little.
    Last edited by WillKuenzel; 05-29-2003 at 07:58 AM.
    What is elite?

I'd like to see the video. Will when I get home.

The proxy police here decided elitefitness.com is not appropriate for business content. Bah.

I'm thinking of starting to train towards powerlifting myself. I'm trying to get as much info as I can at this point.

Great lifts.

Just saw the vids B. What can I say but Holy ****! Great work man. Congrats on the record. Truly awesome.