The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

workout partners

I think a good workout partner is really hard to find. I saw the topic Maxi brought up about friends which was interesting. But do most of you have really good training partners? I used to have one of the best guys to work out with until he moved away. We still keep in touch. Now he is a real friend.

Now a training partner is really hard to find. If I do link with someone, sooner than later the egos come in where he wants to appear to lead. So does anyone have an equal to train with or a good partner?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: workout partners

Originally posted by terryray
    I used to have one of the best guys to work out with until he moved away. We still keep in touch. Now he is a real friend.

same here
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

My training partner is from Turkey, but he scream Fur Deutchland and Wermacht when he Squats, kinda stupid, He gets it from Discovery Channel and is sure that German soldiers were supreme. I hate that stuff dough..
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Originally posted by Rock
    My training partner is from Turkey, but he scream Fur Deutchland and Wermacht when he Squats, kinda stupid, He gets it from Discovery Channel and is sure that German soldiers were supreme. I hate that stuff dough..
    huh?
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    dayÖonly then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

I have a very good partner whom i have trained with since day one.

I don't always train with him, but it is a pleasure when i do. We have the same ambitions and have a nack for reading whether we think the other wants just one more rep or just a little more help on a forced etc..

If i can't train with him i ask reliable spotters. This is where i believe talking in the gym can become useful. It is a personal belief of mine that if you know someone well they will put 100% into spotting you like it was their own life on the line.

If i asked a random person i don't kow or trust to spot me 9 times out of 10 i get a jackass who doesn't give a toss...
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

I don't have a training partner, and haven't for several years.

When i started out, I did have a training partner, I ended up his best man when he got married.

We worked together.

When he left the company, we weren't able to sync our schedules, so we only lifted together every once in a while... not long after, he stopped lifting (he plays soccer and runs now)

I've not been able to find anyone who trains similarly to me and who's schedule fits with mine.

No big deal... I can usually get a spot, which is all I need.

I'll train with you Pauly!
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Sounds like a problem I used to have:

My first partner would come stoned every once in a while. That didn't work out for the obvious reasons.

My second partner talked more than he worked out. His lips were growing more than his biceps.

Now I just workout by myself, occasionly my girlfriend helps me out. She weighs as much as an olympic size bar, but she tries her best.

Uh, the name is Maki not Maxi.
    That brings back memories of elementary school where I was called "maxi pads".

Anyways, I don't have one but I do know that I benefit from one.
    I usually pick one that is bigger and much stronger than me. One that can push me past my limits.

I had the luxury of one back several years ago.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Mystic Eric
    ya, i have 2 friends that are pretty dedicated that go to my gym. i sometimes train with them, but due to different scheduals and programs, most of the time i go solo and just get a spot.

it's hard to get a good spotter though. sometimes people just are like, "you got it man!!" but then end up doing the rep for you. or they don't know when to help.

i'd love to train with paul. maki was a good spotter as well.

hahaha maxi!

haha.. sup maxi pad?
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Great.....
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Yo Maxi pads! Werd up?

I lift alone now, but sometimes wish I had someone to lift with.

I have two buddies who lift together religiously and work very well together. They do things that make most people just stare in the gym, but they get results. I don't think anyone else would even want to train with them, LOL.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Originally posted by LATMAN
    Yo Maxi pads! Werd up?

*** Enough you!
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Right now I am training with someone 90% of the time...

I train with my mate when he comes back from university and inbetween that I know another coulpe of mates that go pretty regualry who i sometimes meet up with..

None of them train with the passion that I do and none have the same goals as me but I find that doesnlt really matter..

I have trained them to spot me EXACTLY how I wanna be spotted and thats what I care about most...

I also donlt mind training by myself, the only anoyying thing is when you get a spot, and even after taking the time to explain to someone exactly how you like to be spotted at the first sign of smoe faulire they yank the bar back up no the postitive grrr... Messes up my whole workout !

HEY ROCK!!!!!

I ain't from Turkey! I'm from Iran, a little difference there.. you shcmuck!

Besides it helps to have something to focus on when you're doing heavy lifts, it works for me... And anyway I don't scream like a girl when I'm lifting, like a person I know... hint hint

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    I've been lifting alone pretty much since I started, though occasionally I would work out with a buddy at their gym or mine. Most of the time it's either gym memberships or personal schedules that are obstacles.

...that and the fact that a lot of ppl I know go through a phase where they work out like mad, then lose interest.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

I'll work out with you, ice.

"Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

There is my Traning partner, Cenaturion....
    Hey Im sorry Hassan, but It can offend people...hehe
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

No problem, Rock...

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Thanks Belial...but the commute might get to be a problem

A friend of mine who wants to learn about lifting is going to start working out with me next week. She's a active, fit person, just never really done much weight training (and I've given her a complex about low weights/high reps on the machines!).

I'm planning on leading her through a "lite" version of my workout (with a few modifications) until she gets the form down and gets past that sore-as-hell point. She wants someone to de-mystify that "other end of the gym" (where the free weights are) and I want someone to spot for me, so I figure we'll both get a boost.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

The training partner I have is never consistent or reliable but on those days he does get up we have great workouts. He is able to spot me exactly the way I need it.

... Uh.... huh.....

I'm so not saying anything.

lmao @ Yaz.

And Ice--- I thought in some cases the sacrifices were worth it.

Funny, though. I've never had a training partner, and I really can't say I truly want one. I love losing myself in my routine; I'd hate to have to break it up with chit-chat and spotting. Anybody else know what I mean?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Mouth o' the dirty south
    I hear ya, B. When I first started I worked out with some of my bros but they always talked too much and didn't work out very hard, although I was the same at the time. Now I have no need for socializing in the gym. Also, who needs a spotter when I've got a power rack?
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees. - some guy

This above all, to thine own self be true. - Polonius (ironic, eh?)