The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Deadlift form

Deadlift form

Hey guys lookin for some advice.

Wanting to incorporate deads into my routine. I do SLDL. I screwed around with some deads on Friday.

My questions is where does your ass go in relation to your knees. Do you keep your ass below your knees and start the pull with your shoulders and finish with your legs. I tried this and 135 flew uoffa the floor.

My main concern is good form. I started going to the gym in Oct 2002 due to some serious back problems, (disc herniations and nerve damage) Started the gym to try and stay away from the neurosurgeon. Worked great so far . Absolutely no leg or back pain anymore and I am hooked. My max on SLDL is about 225 so back trouble begone.
    Here we go again!

"I've seen yer mug. Eeeeeeesh gotta feed ya with teh slingshot!"....Mik in reference to clvmike19

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

easier to explain it as a squat form without weights on your shoulders
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

I don't agree that you must keep your hips low like they say (especially if you are doing sumos). I believe Dave Tate wrote an article saying a common mistake can be having the hips too low. I feel it is better to do what feels most comfortable to YOUR body.
    5-9 170

"Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Is that guy wearing house slippers and white socks ghetto? LOL wtf man.
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

Are these high in protein? AlexBBbegginer's Avatar
    when i deadlift i have my trainer tongues against the bar grip just over shoulder width looking straight ahead and back straight.

And then simply erect (my bodytuttut ) upwards, the bar travels straight up and my knees come in (not because i make them) just missing the bar.

By this time my legs are about straight and the bar is groin level

The rest of the lift is done by my lower back which is still straight.

At the top of the movement i stand as straight and tall as possible with my shoulders comfortably back.

I hold breifly, and then lower using my knees and back @ the same time so the bar travels directly downwards towards the floor (not clipping my knees)

I try to focus the beginning of the lift on my calfs and hips and then put the rest of it into my lower back. Your shoulders and forearms should be tense but not doing any work.
    If you find your grip failing i find it ok to simply regrip quickly between reps when u touch the weight on the floor.

I dont know what other ppl think about resting the weight between sets, its the least documented part of the exercise. i always rest it before lifting back up again. any views????

anyway as with all major exercises u can practice the movement in front of a mirror with an unloaded bar until u get the correct form.

Rofl @ that video, that guys head is purple!!
    One the road to 180lbs...

7.5lbs gained in 3 weeks!

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Are you looking to do deads for maximum muscular development or to set records? The technique is slightly different.

For a PL style anything, the movement is tailored to move in the shortest ROM possible, and it may involve fewer total muscles or involve certain muscles less than others.

a PL style dead is done with the thighs only as far down as they need to be to grab the bar. At the top of the movement, the arms and shoulders are 'slumped' forward, instead of shrugged backward, because its not necessary, you only need to stand straight up to complete a dead, not shrug it. Though I noticed that when I performed deads as AlexBB just described I never had to do shrugs, ever.

Just keep the knees out (to the sides) so they dont buckle inwards, you need your knees out to give you stability. Keep your back arched and extremely tight. Start with teh shoulders BEHIND the bar, or you will begin the lift by pulling the bar forward, then back. Dont do that. Start with the shoulders behind the bar and pull the bar up and back towards you. Always lift explosively, dont ease it up. Every time you easy a dead, a baby in Tibet cries. Bling bling.

IMO, if you're doing multiple reps in a set, dont regrip. I find it far easier to rep if I just set it on the ground and rip once more. Try it both ways. Get some chalk and use a well knurled bar. Dont worry about your hands. What are you, a jewelry model?

The best shoes for deading is anything with a flat sole. Wrestling shoes, Chuck Taylors, etc. Using heavier weights I sometimes found myself tipping forward or using the balls of my feet to push while wearing regular crosstrainers with a heel. Beh. Air cushioning is a fad anyways.

yer my traps always feel worked after i dead, i had a feeling deads hit there, my foreams and grip have got sooo much better thnx to deads and dips.
    they have to be the best forearm trainers, my hands just dont want to work for about 10 mins after tho