Thread: My first day at the gym...oooh I'm in pain!

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

My first day at the gym...oooh I'm in pain!

Alright, I'm finally posting again, sorry for the long delay, I had some personal problems to deal with before I could start my physical conditionment, but now I've solved those problems, and finally got to a gym.

Alright. Remember I am a begginer. So I went to the gym on Tuesday to test my strenght, ( find out my max) and surprisingly bench pressed 7.5 KG (On both sides)

After that I waited about 1 day after, because my chest was really in pain, and went back to do the WBB routine.
    Sadly, I could only accomplish the bench press and the incline, and I managed to do a set of peck deck flys. Oh yes, and I couldn't do the chest dips, my gym doesnt have a weighted bar)

I could'nt do my back that day, I was to pressed for time.

So I just have a few questions...

Is this bad? I know I'm only 16 and never really thought about weight lifting before this year, but I thought I'dd be able to handle more weight. Is this a good begginer weight?

And also, how long should I wait to change the poundage?

And would it affect the results of the WBB routine if I modified the WBB routine a little, like replace the chest dips with peck deck flys?

And one last thing, I know this seems like a biggie but can someone possibly post their diet for me to use as a skeleton?
    I've read a few articles about nutrition and know you need to eat lots of protein, carbs, and fat, but ?I don't have a flexible diet due to me being 16 and having a legal guardian and all...

Thanks, I'll be posting my results as well as my diet as my training intensifies!

Hey IWP!

Be patient with the poundage. You don't want to get hurt trying to lift what you thought you could vs. what you really can. Make sure that you do your routine in good form. The weight you start off at is just that: your start. Then you work your way up as you progress. That's what I got from reading all the good posts here.

Just my 2cents. Good lifting!
    You are only as strong as your weakest link...

Are these high in protein? AlexBBbegginer's Avatar
    Your poundages are not important, you are not competing against anyone but yourself so if u lift 40-50lbs it doesnt matter. you will get stronger.

What you need to do is have a goal, you are not stating anything other than the fact you want big pecs, this is not a goal or even a realistic target.

what weight are you?
    what weight is your target?
    how much body fat do you carry? (if u dont know dont even bother to rought guess)
    what is your daily diet?
    what exersises do you do?
    what is your weekly training routine?

this are points you need to post in order to get good feedback.

if u have no routine or diet, and are basically assuming that just by lifting you will get bigger..

YOU MUST STOP NOW

you need to educate yourself, the reason you are in pain is because you overtrained or overexerted that muscle.
    going for a 1rep max on your 1st visit to the gym was something you really shouldnt have done, personally ive never done a 1RM i simply progress through poundages as the weeks go by.

If u simply believe that targetting 1 muscle group such as your chest, or more famously ABS!! will make u look good.... you are in for a huge disappointment.

You are young and can make a very early start and even get a dream body before you hit 18, so why not slow down and read around the subject before u dive into all the routines and diets.
    I screwed up my 1st attempt and wasted 4 months (i ate too little protein per day), my 2nd attempt has now given me better gains in 3 weeks than my last gave me in 12!

My advice is basically make a plan..
    include-
    objective
    diet
    routine ie:- lifts sets + reps
    and contingency plan (what you will do if it all goes wrong 1 week)

Then simply post it all up on here so that the members can all let you know if its a good to go.

UNTIL THEN...

read and learn.

Best advice in the world for you is to try and find a work-out partner who has a little knowledge. Also, find guys who don't mind talking to you at the gym. Start learning as much as possible.

Also, be prepared for very weird "pain" ..the feeling you get from your first workouts or even from workouts after taking a long time away from the gym is a feeling you won't normally experience outside of lifting weights.

I personally feel a little pain afterwards is fine, especially for muscles that have never experienced this kind of direct stimulus. Now there is a fine line between being good sore and over-doing it. You will have to experiment with that. I can tell you from experience you do NOT want to overtrain to a ridiculous point when first starting up or you may find yourself barely able to move.

I'd keep any exercise you do down to 3 sets and 6-8 reps for now and not worry much at all about the poundage. That will come very quickly as you learn and continue to workout.

Good luck on your newfound journey. Weight-lifting is a great practice and will reward your mind, body, and soul.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Personally I think you should be doing a basic full body routine instead of wasting time with exercises like the peck deck.

Something like:

Squats
    SLDL
    Bench press or/and dips
    Rows or/and pull ups
    Standing military press
    Barbell curl
    Lying triceps extension
    Calf raises (donkey, on leg press, on smith,etc...)

2 or three sets each 3X times a week, start with higher reps, like 15 and drop one or two reps every week untill you hit 6-8. Add weight whenever possible. Eat a gram per pound of bodyweight of protein, 30 % fat and the rest carbs.

It's not that complicated.
    Last edited by restless; 05-30-2003 at 03:52 PM.

Originally posted by restless
    Personally I think you should be doing a basic full body routine instead of wasting time with exercises like the peck deck.

Something like:

Squats
    SLDL
    Bench press or/and dips
    Rows or/and pull ups
    Standing military press
    Barbell curl
    Lying triceps extension
    Calf raises (donkey, on leg press, on smith,etc...)

2 or three sets each 3X times a week, start with higher reps, like 15 and drop one or two reps every week untill you hit 6-8. Add weight whenever possible. Eat a gram per pound of bodyweight of protein, 30 % fat and the rest carbs.

It's not that complicated.
    Those are all great exersises. Add in deadlifts and chins and you have everything you need for a solid routine. I wouldnt bother starting out at 15 reps, though. For my compound lifts I just do 1 set of 10 as my warm up then go hard. Some people do 2 or 3 progessive sets before their work sets but I find this tires my body too much, just make sure you stretch.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Yeah for the first three months hit your whole body hard.
    You will make incredible gains if you train hard.

decease, RIP
    i pressed less then that when I was 20 so... good job on going to the gym, just stick with it.
    big.

Wannabebig Member
    Just to clarify a few things for future refference, the reason my username is so...well, poorly chosen was because when I first came here I knew nothing about weight lifting, and I though to continously work out day after day with the same muscle group and high poundage would get me to my goals. After reading several articles however, I realized that I was wrong about everything, I'm focusing on all the muscle groups, so not to worry.

And considering restless's post about those exercises, should I just start that routine? Because my main routine so far consisted of the WBB routine, but I've only gotten as far as day 1. I plan on going tommorow morning.

Anyways thanks for all your positive feedback, I'll try to post every often or so!

schedule atleast an hour to get to the gym, workout, and get back home for your protein shake(or whatever you have.)

you should be able to complete all routines within an hour, or atleast I do...and I even added a few extra exercises/sets(although I dropped a few exercises). if you don't think you'll gain on wbb #1, everyone can see the results I made when I post my new pics tomorrow night/or/monday morning. I've been on the thing since Mid-February and I've seen growth in places where I didn't know muscle existed...
    Last edited by SoulOfKoRea; 05-31-2003 at 07:32 PM.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Are these high in protein? AlexBBbegginer's Avatar
    IWP

as long as u have a decent routine thats realistic not too many lifts to finish in under 1hr
    and a good consistent diet plan that you can keep to, remember you have to eat once every 3 hours and that means protein every meal

then go for it!

get a training partner, some1 who knows what they are doing so that they can make sure u lift properly and safely. Dont go mad and work to fatigue on every lift, and make sure u get lots of water and rest.(3 litres per day , or 1 pint per meal which is how i accomplish it, youll need 8 hours sleep minimum as well per day)

TRAIN
    EAT
    REST
    REPEAT

GL
    One the road to 180lbs...

7.5lbs gained in 3 weeks!

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    This is the program I gained probably about 20 lbs in a summer from. This program is beautiful and I promise it will give you solid results. For the program to work you have to really work the intensity though.

Day 1
    Squats
    Bench
    Rows
    clean and Press
    skull crushers
    curls

Day 2
    Deads
    Dips
    chins
    OHP
    tri ext
    curls

Alternate days and put about 2-4 days of rest in between depending on recovery times...This routine helped me develop muscles I didnt even know I had. Eat a LOT constantly throughout the day, as much protein as you can stomach...maybe use a homemade weight gainer and you will see serious gains.
    Last edited by JustinASU; 06-01-2003 at 12:31 PM.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again