The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Girly Bench Problem

I cannot seem to gain any strength on Bench or Tri's. I have been lifting for 2 years. I used to do shoulders before bench day so I have tried to revise my split. This is what it looks like now.

Workouts normally fall Monday-Friday but the rest day varies.

Day1 - Back/Bis
    Day2 - Legs
    Day3 - Chest/Tri's
    Day4 - Shoulders

Chest goes like this.

Girly Bench - 155 3X8 Max out at 175 for 2-4 reps
    Incline Dumbbells
    Flat Dumbbell Press
    Another Incline. Sometimes Hammer Machine sometimes Incline Bench

My Specs:
    Weight 170 Height 5'11

I am not a big guy and I do not have unrealistic expectations, but I would like to be able to put two plates on at some point and get 2-4 reps. Any Advice???

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig New Member
    What's girly bench? Is that just barbell bench? Maybe you should post your diet as well.

Swap your back/bi's to back/tri's and chest/tri's to chest/bi's

Often times I've found that by training opposing muscle groups on the same day allows for better recovery. The split will also allow the complementary muscle groups a longer refractory period before the next workout.

Give that a shot and see what happens.

One more thing: positive thinking. There are no unrealistic expectations in this sport/hobby! There are setbacks and they are to be overcome.
    Last edited by Fenbay; 06-02-2003 at 02:14 PM.

First off, you can bench your bodyweight...that's not a bad thing so ease up on the girlie stuff....I know alot of people who can't bench their bodyweight. Don't worry, you'll get there.

Anyways, couple of suggestions....
    1) Instead of doing 155lbs for 3 sets, why not pyramid your sets (eg, 155lbs, 165lbs, 175lbs)...you might be blowing all your energy before you hit 175lbs. If you're worried about not being properly warmed up then do a few sets of LIGHT benching just to get a good groove and get some blood pumping.

2) Stop benching for awhile...sometimes it's good to step back and increase other lifts....chances are if you work on your inclines (for example) and make those your main chest exercise for a cycle, then you're going to improve your bench weight as incline and flats pretty much use the same muscles.

3) Dips...weighted dips if possible....this is one of the best chest/tricep exercises you can do.

4) Without knowing what the rest of your routine is, work on your tricep strength...those are the primary movers for benching. If you have strong triceps, you're going to have a strong bench....close grip benches, skull crushers and JM presses are some of the better exercises out there.

5) Increase your lat strength. When you bench, your lats act as stablizers and can help with balance during your benching. Lots of rowing exercises (during back day)

6) Micro load - If you can get 175lbs for 2-4 reps, chances are you can get 180lbs for 2 reps....Just increase your max weight by small amounts.

7) Don't max out all the time....If you are going to max out, then only do so for a very short minicycle (like 2-3 weeks), then cut back and work in a more moderate weight/rep range. Maxing out can be murder on your CNS and after 2-3 weeks, your CNS needs some resting too. If you can do 155lbs for 3 sets of 8, then work on doing 165lbs for 3 sets of 8.

As for your expectations, no they are not unrealistic. Let's use 225lbs as a long range goal....you're at 175lbs right now so you're 50lbs away....break it down into shorter attainable goals...185lbs for 2-4 reps (10lbs). Once you can get that, go for 195lbs for 2-4 reps etc etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Originally posted by Ja113
    First off, you can bench your bodyweight...that's not a bad thing so ease up on the girlie stuff....I know alot of people who can't bench their bodyweight. Don't worry, you'll get there.

Anyways, couple of suggestions....
    1) Instead of doing 155lbs for 3 sets, why not pyramid your sets (eg, 155lbs, 165lbs, 175lbs)...you might be blowing all your energy before you hit 175lbs. If you're worried about not being properly warmed up then do a few sets of LIGHT benching just to get a good groove and get some blood pumping.

2) Stop benching for awhile...sometimes it's good to step back and increase other lifts....chances are if you work on your inclines (for example) and make those your main chest exercise for a cycle, then you're going to improve your bench weight as incline and flats pretty much use the same muscles.

3) Dips...weighted dips if possible....this is one of the best chest/tricep exercises you can do.

4) Without knowing what the rest of your routine is, work on your tricep strength...those are the primary movers for benching. If you have strong triceps, you're going to have a strong bench....close grip benches, skull crushers and JM presses are some of the better exercises out there.

5) Increase your lat strength. When you bench, your lats act as stablizers and can help with balance during your benching. Lots of rowing exercises (during back day)

6) Micro load - If you can get 175lbs for 2-4 reps, chances are you can get 180lbs for 2 reps....Just increase your max weight by small amounts.

7) Don't max out all the time....If you are going to max out, then only do so for a very short minicycle (like 2-3 weeks), then cut back and work in a more moderate weight/rep range. Maxing out can be murder on your CNS and after 2-3 weeks, your CNS needs some resting too. If you can do 155lbs for 3 sets of 8, then work on doing 165lbs for 3 sets of 8.

As for your expectations, no they are not unrealistic. Let's use 225lbs as a long range goal....you're at 175lbs right now so you're 50lbs away....break it down into shorter attainable goals...185lbs for 2-4 reps (10lbs). Once you can get that, go for 195lbs for 2-4 reps etc etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Great advice.....and one more thing for us long limbed guys....WIDEN those hands get them out WIDE!!! (get used to this and you won't even have to ask why.....WIDER is BETTER)
    Try with a comfortable weight first and then once you have the form down.....go for more weight......

Ja113 is spot on - listen to him.

Nice to see you, Joe.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Are these high in protein? AlexBBbegginer's Avatar
    ok im 133lbs and i bench a staggering 80lbs 3x6 so now youre making me feel like a major wussie stick of a girl

you bench more than i do.

oh wait - i can get 6 reps at 80. on a good day.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

what do u weigh and how long have u trained?

M or F ? i cant tell by ure name...

i'm a female, and i'm jsut messing with ya.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Closer grip is safer though...

First, there's less shoulder rotation.

Second, how often do you hear of triceps tears?

People hurt their pecs more often.

That's why I suggest a closer grip, trying to put most of the load on the tris.

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    I'm kind of having the same problem as the thread author.

I have been stuck between 145-155 for a while now. I can max out at 165-170 2-4 reps but it takes a major effort so I really don't go for max much. I had a chest day today and did

2 sets 145x8

2 sets 130x8

3 sets Incline 105x6

I felt pretty good at first and my 145 sets were done with ease. I'm hoping next week I can get 150-155 x8 and go from there.

Is it better to start heavy and work down as I did today of start light and work up???

I think if I started at 130 and worked up I might actually tire quicker since the heavy weight brings me to failure quicker. However I am no expert so I could be wrong. My chest is looking nice these days but it has remained around the same size since my bench hasn't been improving much. That is frustrating to say the least, so I am trying to work through this.

Here is my current routine:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...threadid=31791

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Wannabebig Member

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for all the advice.

Wannabebig Member
    I weigh 155 lbs (5 ft 4 inches) and I bench 264 lbs. I found that close grip bench press increases your bench dramatically.
    Adios

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    damn son, you are pushing a lot of weight for your size. I feel like a hoe

How long have you been lifting?

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

yer but mic hes only 5'4'' and that would make his arms pretty shorter than mine, my tris are long and weak and i know thats my bench weekness, a close grip for me would work my tris out more but not help my lift, whereas a wide grip wouldnt work them but give my outer chest more of the benefit.
    One the road to 180lbs...

7.5lbs gained in 3 weeks!