The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

People say they are on a low carb diet....

but at what point does your diet become low carb? Kind of a silly question but I figured I would ask...

Is low carb below 100grams? 200? 300? Or is this different for everyone....
    Last edited by MonkeyBoy; 05-30-2003 at 09:04 PM.
    Homer Jay Simpson: Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer.
    Homer's Brain: It's a deal!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    it depends what diet. keto is below 20 grams a day. atkins is also very low carb. or people just lower their total intake of carbs, it's different.

I don't think keto is always 20g a day. Not for ckd or tkd. I am not talking refeeds either.

From a technical focus, a low carb diet is anything less than 50% total energy from carbs. A keto diet is basically <100g carbs/day (as ketones will rise from this)

Most people stay in keto at around 20g. From what I understand, some people are able to manage up to 50g per day and stay in keto; no one I know was able to do this. Some also slip in a few carbs before working out and stay in keto, as well.

I think a reasonable definition of a low-carb diet would be sub-100g per day, although the number itself isn't that meaningful.

IMO low-carb is 200g or lower, it depends on your size and RMR,

what i cant understand is why everyone is jumping on the keto-bandwagon, its no better than any other diet. Look at bodybuilding up until the late 90's. Keto was never considered and they still got incredibly lean while maintaining size, alright they used AAS but the principle is still the same.

I tend to like moderation, im in this game for health benefits not to put them at risk and high fat, virtually no carbs just aint right.

Just my opinion and im sure others will argue keto's case. but i think its just a gimmick for a few guys to make a fortune.
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Originally posted by Big-Ron
    Just my opinion and im sure others will argue keto's case. but i think its just a gimmick for a few guys to make a fortune.
    Well actually ketogenic diets were first used to treat epilepsy in children.

Originally posted by Big-Ron
    IMO low-carb is 200g or lower, it depends on your size and RMR,

what i cant understand is why everyone is jumping on the keto-bandwagon, its no better than any other diet. Look at bodybuilding up until the late 90's. Keto was never considered and they still got incredibly lean while maintaining size, alright they used AAS but the principle is still the same.

I tend to like moderation, im in this game for health benefits not to put them at risk and high fat, virtually no carbs just aint right.

That is my deal, I am not one to cut/bulk/cut/bulk/cut throughout the year. I want to have a healthy diet and still be able to build lean muscle thoughout the year while staying in good shape/lean. I am trying to figure out if my carb intake right now is considered "low" carb which I think it is....I am in that 150-200 gram range..

I think maintaining a "low" carb diet year round is extremely difficult especially if you want to enjoy yourself....

I am not looking to get huge, I am in relatively good shape now so I would like to maintain that.... I have been lifting for 4 years now and havent had the gains I think I should of had and I believe it is because I fell into the "low" carb trap to stay lean...

sorry if I am rambling...
    Homer Jay Simpson: Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer.

Originally posted by MonkeyBoy
    That is my deal, I am not one to cut/bulk/cut/bulk/cut throughout the year. I want to have a healthy diet and still be able to build lean muscle thoughout the year while staying in good shape/lean. I am trying to figure out if my carb intake right now is considered "low" carb which I think it is....I am in that 150-200 gram range..

I think maintaining a "low" carb diet year round is extremely difficult especially if you want to enjoy yourself....

I am not looking to get huge, I am in relatively good shape now so I would like to maintain that.... I have been lifting for 4 years now and havent had the gains I think I should of had and I believe it is because I fell into the "low" carb trap to stay lean...
    The amount of carbs in your diet is really not that big of an issue. The most important thing is to make sure you are getting adequate amounts of protein and EFA's in your diet. Both of these macronutrients are essential to the body and carbs are not.

There is nothing that says you have to do the traditional bulk/cut cycles. Many people just concentrate on adding a small amount of muscle by eating close to maintenance calories.

Just eat enough protein and EFA's and then fill in the rest of your daily calories with carbs. It is easy to get caught up in the whole "carbs are evil" way of thinking with all the stories about low carb diets and such that you see on TV and read about in magazines.

Wannabebig Member golfbobbyhill's Avatar
    Atkins is 20g the first 2 weeks, then add 5g per week until the weight loss stops. Once weight loss stops, drop down 5g and it should pick back up.

There are other variables, such as activity and his "lifetime maintanence phase" but thats the basics.

From the main site.

In TKD, small amounts of carbs are used before, during and/or after exercise to provide muscle glycogen. You consume 25-50 grams of carbs about 30-60 minutes before, or immediately after training.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by MonkeyBoy

sorry if I am rambling...
    i think carbs are important if you want to make lean gains. the important thing is that these carbs need to be clean and low-gi

Originally posted by bradley

The amount of carbs in your diet is really not that big of an issue. The most important thing is to make sure you are getting adequate amounts of protein and EFA's in your diet. Both of these macronutrients are essential to the body and carbs are not.

There is nothing that says you have to do the traditional bulk/cut cycles. Many people just concentrate on adding a small amount of muscle by eating close to maintenance calories.

Just eat enough protein and EFA's and then fill in the rest of your daily calories with carbs.
    Bump on that point.

Hey thanks for all the replies, they were very helpful. I think I am going to actually track what I eat this work and add everything up, I havent done that in the 3+ years I have been lifting...

I will post my results just in case anyone is interested...
    Last edited by MonkeyBoy; 06-01-2003 at 09:03 AM.