The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Already Fat: should I bulk, or lose before bulking?

Hi everybody,

I have a few questions, and I'm going to post some pictures.

these pictures weretaken on Feb 10th.
    I weighed 345 Lbs. at 6'2". (Tight size 54 pants)
    I went on Atkins, and currently I weigh 290. (Tight size 46 or a loose 48)

Now I waited until I dropped below 300 lbs. to start lifting...I just didn't have time, means, or energy to do it.

So, now I'm walking 45 minutes a day (a little over 2 miles) on a treadmill 7 days a week. I quit smoking a month ago.

Now, here's where I get to my questions?

3 weeks ago I started lifting.

Should I try to lose as much weight as possible before trying to get big, or should I just go ahead and lift just like I'm trying to bulk, yet eat the LC diet?
    (I'm eating under 20 Carbs a day, except on the days I train, and on those days)

I'm doing basic compound lifts 2 nights per week (Monday & Thursday) Generally working on my Torso.... The time on the treadmill will help take care of my legs-and NO, I do not want my legs to get any bigger.

I've been fat my entire life, and I'm trying to break out of it....it kind of sucks because my family is onwe of those families that tends to hold you down (you know you're doing good when they say crap like "You know, that might not be good for you!" If you lose a little weight, they would rather see you get fat again, then have you lose the weight and make them look lazy.)

So anywa, I FEEL GREAT, and I'm using that as my "meter" to judge this by...I mean I feel GREAT!!!!!!!!!

So, now we come to question #2:

How long before I can start actually SEEING Results?

I'm just a big fat/soft guy....but considering I've never lifted I guess I am relatively strong (I can pick the front end of a Volkswagon Rabbit up enough so that the tires are over 6" off of the ground.)

Schweinhund
    (for my German friends, LOL! )
    Attached Images Attached Images

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Picture #2 from Februrary 10th,2003
    Profile/Side view.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I definately think you should bulk, if you've only been lifting three weeks and start cutting now, there wouldn't be as much muscle there after you've completed that phase. get huge/muscular wise, and then get ripped up and make your family jealous . take a look at the diet and nutrition forum to get some good ideas for a diet to abide by, good job with the weight loss already, now it's time to get you swole! Results shouldn't take long to see, for beginners they usually come within the first few months.

once again, welcome to our boards, good luck with everything, I'm glad to see one less American as a future statistic . these boards will become your new home
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

You're bulked champ!!!!

Just start lifting heavily and eating high in protein 5 small meals a day and you will see results. It would be beyond the realms of logic to increase your caloric intake at your weight. Not to mention you may get stronger but you will not "see" any results at all if you increase your caloric intake. I'd say train hard and operate in a mild caloric defecit and you will see some great results.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

I'd say cut down to sub 20% bodyfat and go from there, personally.
    Last edited by heathj; 05-31-2003 at 09:34 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by The_Brick
    You're bulked champ!!!!

Just start lifting heavily and eating high in protein 5 small meals a day and you will see results. It would be beyond the realms of logic to increase your caloric intake at your weight. Not to mention you may get stronger but you will not "see" any results at all if you increase your caloric intake. I'd say train hard and operate in a mild caloric defecit and you will see some great results.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

LOL! Hahaha, Thanks
    Well, just I didn't know if I should try to lose as much Fat as possible before trying to seriously put some muscle on. I just didn't know, so I had to ask. I mean, I see all these guys asking questions...and they are usually thin trying to add mass.

Exactly, I I don't need to increase my caloric intake...and my current diet is almost all Protein and Fat, except on the 2 nights that I'm lifting, - on those nights I eat 40 grams of Carbs.

I know that I am what they call a "Upper Paeleolithic Survivor", and I've seen a lot of the reasearch regarding what my "type" should eat...or what would be my "natural" diet.

Tim

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by heathj
    I'd say cut down to sub 20% bodyfat and go from there, personally.
    So, how do I find out my bodyfat %?

I'm figuring it's probably about 50% (I mean, let's face it, I've got a huge gut...not as big as it was (it doesn't stick out like it did in those pictures) but it' still big.

Thanks,

Tim

I would cut. Get to a point where your more comfortable then think about bulking. But I wouldn't bulk.
    If you bulk your gonna but more fat on, even if your strict.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    even on a reasonably low cal diet you could make significant gains

as was mentioned if the protein is there and you are lifting you will grow

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Originally posted by Schweinhund

So, how do I find out my bodyfat %?

I'm figuring it's probably about 50% (I mean, let's face it, I've got a huge gut...not as big as it was (it doesn't stick out like it did in those pictures) but it' still big.

Thanks,

Tim
    Buy some calipers for $15 and test it yourself. Or go to a gym or something, I'm sure they can test it there.

i gotta say what heath said, just drop till 20% body fat or sumthin, maybe a little less...then bulk from there

Skillz

Schweinhund = Pig Dog....

am I right? Been a while since I've used any german.

Die allied schweinhund!

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah!
    One of my friend's was in Germany, and after he got back he goes,"Dude - they only have two curse words!" And I thought that was the funniest thing, so that's what we always say...and they used to have it in old WWII movies, and I didn't know that was their "Mother of all curse words"....the worst thing you can be called in German.

Tim

Originally posted by Schweinhund
    Yeah!
    One of my friend's was in Germany, and after he got back he goes,"Dude - they only have two curse words!" And I thought that was the funniest thing, so that's what we always say...and they used to have it in old WWII movies, and I didn't know that was their "Mother of all curse words"....the worst thing you can be called in German.

Tim
    Hehe I remember the good old days of Wolfenstein 3-D on MS-Dos and having hitler yell at you "Die allied schweinhund" or "Tot Hund!" as he drained bullets outta his gatling gun on you. Anyways back on topic I recommend cutting. It's hard to do I myself am attempting to cut and dieting is VERY F'N DIFFICULT!

Lift Hard, Eat right, and focus on a better body. Are you happy with how you look. Bulking means eating an exces of calories, some does spillover to fat, if you are waring a 46, I don't think that you should be thinking about bulking, nor cutting.

Sorry for the blatentous but I used to be in your shoes as were other in this board. Continue with what is working and focus on Fat loss, and Lean Muscle Maintence, and the results should be more than satisfactory.

Wannabebig Member
    AJ_11,

Hell no I don't like how I look, That's why I asked!
    That's what I want! I need people to be blunt..I didn't think I needed to bulk....I want the fat off, and my thinking is that if I continue to lift, do my time on the treadmill, and continue with the High Protein/Low Carb diet I should be able to pack on some muscle and drop some fat.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Last edited by Schweinhund; 06-01-2003 at 07:51 AM.

Get on a basic lifting routine, get your diet in check and do lots of cardio. Cut until you feel too small.
    I am assuming you have SOME muscle now and if you drop off all that fat you can be in a good starting point.

Get back to the weight of 300 pounds, now only do it with 10% bf
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

I would cut. Right now, you could probably add on 20-30 pounds of muscle and not even notice, given your bf%. Your best bet would be to stick to a fairly high protein/low carb diet and get yourself down to the 240-250 range then re-evaluate (while lifting and doing some cardio)... you'll probably see fairly dramatic results, especially since you're still very new to lifting weights. You could probably add on a decent amount of muscle while dropping fat.

I know it will be frustrating to not gain as much muscle/strength as somebody who started out his lifting career on a bulk, but at the end of the day it will all even out. Imagine, at this point, how you'd look when you're 220/230.

I would do some legs. Fat can EASILY make your muscles seem larger than they are... both fat within the muscle itself and strategically placed on top can make what would be fairly middling sized muscles on a slim guy seem absolutely huge on a less slim guy. If nothing else, I'd at least do some deadlifts to give your legs SOME workout... those are some seriously huge fat-burning muscles down there you'll be ignoring otherwise.

(Plus, deadlifts are cool, and if you work at them, you'll probably be able to FLIP the car, rather than just pick it up a bit.)
    Last edited by Alex.V; 06-01-2003 at 08:25 AM.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Never Satisfied.
    Forget bulking and cutting. Diet to lose weight, and lift to gain muscle. Since you are new to lifting you will be able to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Losing fat/weight should be your #1 goal now, and you should only start thinking about bulking when you are much leaner. Again, since you are new to lifting, you will gain muscle. This way when you lose the weight you will have some nice muscle under there. This is when you should start bulking and cutting phases. Just my opinion...
    22 - 5'11 - not big enough yet

Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    give yourself time too

we all want to look fabulous but can burn out with lofty goals

the bottom line is you will constantly look and feel better every week

congrats on kicking the smoking too...

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

my advice is to find a training partner to help with the motivation

write down goals and create a reward system for yourself. it will aid you in reaching your goals

I'm not sure how old you are?
    and how long you've carried that amount of weight?

depending on those answers you may want to consider looking into lipo suction in a year or two

All I have to say in congrats. I have so much respect for anyone with the determination to say "I've had enough" and completely change themselves. Good luck and keep up the good work!

I would focus on the cardio but throw in weight training as well. Once the fat comes off, it will be easy to maintain once you get into weightlifting. This is what I did.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Wannabebig Member
    In the last six months I lost 45 lbs of fat and gained 12 lbs of muscle. It is not about bulking or cutting when you are just a big blob like I was - tits and all.

Follow a basic lifting routine in the 6-10 rep range with little rest between sets and do cardio three - five times a week so it doesnt interfere with your lift strength.

During the first three months all I did was cardio and and a 1500 calorie a day diet. I turned into a thinner "fat" person. So, I had my resting metabolic rate measured and it was a baseline of 2300 calories a day. I was starving myself and forcing my body to burn muscle tissue. I starting eating 2400 calories a day (40/30/30) and lifting and doing no cardio and the bodyfat drops every two weeks when I have it measured.

Actually, my metabolism is so rev'd I have up'd calories to 3200 (40/30/30) to try to add more muscle mass. That is hard to do when you still see yourself as a fat person and are terrified to get back to that old fat person in the mirror.

Remember: Lean muscle burns calories 24/7 whether you can see the muscle or not. Cardio only burns them while you do cardio.

i would go with what belial said.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?