Thread: Feeling like hell

Hybrid View

A Fortnight Dead

Feeling like hell

Something rather unpleasant has been happening over the last few days. It started, I believe, around Thursday, and has since become gradually worse.

I've noticed that I seem to have less energy; that I feel "flatter"; that my legs feel, well, rather dead; and that my weight has slightly increased. This last development is likely just water weight fluctation, so I'm not particularly concerned about it. What bothers me more is the fatigue. I haven't been making any effort to cut or bulk; I've averaged 2300-2400 calories (40/40/20 split, or thereabouts) daily, which is my approximate maintenance intake (stats: 5'8, 150lb, somewhere around 7-10 bf, I'd estimate).

I think there are three possible explanations:

1) I'm currently in college, and thus I have to do quite a bit of walking around (getting to class, etc...) The amount of time I spend walking each day varies, of course, but often it's as high as an hour or more. Slow walking, of course; but walking nonetheless. I also use a sort of HIIT one day each week; 50-60 yd sprints.

This is, of course, in addition to my 4 day (relatively lower volume) split.

This has never given me much trouble before, even when cutting. But last week I did reintegrate leg training into my routine (due to back/leg issues, I'd had to lay off it for a while). This extra demand, coupled with a unusually high amount of walking on fri/sat, perhaps explains my "flatness" and fatigue.

2) I've misjudged my maintenance caloric intake, and thus three or so weeks @ this level (with less carbs than I need, etc...) has resulted in feeling poorly and the general fatigue. This, of course, is also tied in with my activity level. But I thought I'd mention it anyway.

3)It's something completely unrelated to either of these. I don't feel like I'm getting sick, though.

In retrospect, I probably just need to eat more. Sorry for the long post. But I figured, hey, what the hell. Couldn't hurt to get some advice. Thanks, all.

EDIT: And yes, I know I've been incommunicado lately. Finals beckon. Sue me
    Last edited by _-_v_-_; 06-01-2003 at 02:41 PM.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

Here are some suggestions that might help. Take them for what they are worth

1) You said that it was finals week so that is a lot of added stress right there. I know that my energy levels will decrease if I get an overwhelming feeling due to school, personal problems, etc.

2) Make sure that you are staying properly hydrated.

3) If you are eating at maintenance calories then try playing around with your macro ratios and see if changing that up will help. You don' necessarily need to eat more if your weight is staying constant.

4) If you think you have been eating under maintenance and accidentally restricting your carb intake you might need to try throwing in a refeed one day. General fatigue can be a sign of needing to refeed, and plus the fact that you are at a relatively low bf.

Hope some of these suggestions might help a bit. Best of luck on the finals

rest, sleep, take a walk on the beach or whatever you can do to clear your head, relax!
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

How long have you been following your current diet/training regimen? Have you had any substantial breaks from lifting? I'm thinking this maybe related to overtraining.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Sounds similar to me

I have always had tons of energy but what sounds like EXACTLY the same thing happened to me last year around Thanksgiving. I got mono...I didn't 'feel' sick, until later when I got strep throat on top of the mono. But that is a whole other story. To me it sounds like you may have mono. I would go get a mono spot at a doctor they can tell you on the spot whether you have it or not. Also it doesn't matter if you have had it before, it is still possible to get it again. Good luck, and hope everything ends well.

I think you have low testosterone.

I think you should see a doctor as soon as finals are over.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

Hang out with friends, relax whenever you can, listen to chill-out music, drink lots of water.
    You might just be having a crap few days/week..it happens to all of us.
    And don't stress about college too much....it's not the do all/end all.
    I wish you well...please keep us posted.
    Never let the fear of striking out get in your way.
    George Herman "Babe" Ruth
    "You must have long term goals to keep you from being frustrated by short term failures."
    Charles C. Noble
    "Aim for the top. There is plenty of room there. There are so few at the top it is almost lonely there."
    Samuel Insull
    There is no shame in going down. The only shame is if you don't get back up.
    Muhammad Ali
    Remember, all we have is what we do in this life... if you're doing nothing, then you're just waiting to die.
    Machine

Note : This is an old thread. He did see a doctor and he does have low testosterone.