The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Couple of BP form powerlifter questions

I've done some reading to try and determine the proper form that powerlifters use on max bench. Couple questions for you guys in the know:

1) What is and how does one find the "groove" ...I assume this is where the lifter gets max power/strength and mechanical advantage for the lift.

2) I hear people saying arch your back and squeeze your shoulder blades together. Is this literal? as in lay on the bench with an arch in your back? <seems maybe dangerous>. Do I need to actually squeeze my back in an attempt to touch my blades together when I lie back on the bench?

3) Drive your heels into the ground. As in lift myself up on the bench? That seems to run contrary to everything I've ever heard about proper bench technique.

Bear in mind this question is regards to a max effort lift. Thanks for any info you might have.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar

Re: Couple of BP form powerlifter questions

Originally posted by Fenbay
    I've done some reading to try and determine the proper form that powerlifters use on max bench. Couple questions for you guys in the know:

1) What is and how does one find the "groove"
    In my PL days, we referred to the groove as the place where the bottom of your pecs meet the top of your abs.

2) I hear people saying arch your back and squeeze your shoulder blades together.
    IMO, this is a bit of a cheat. You have some natural arch to your back when you bench, but to bring your butt off the bench is cheating. In a PL comp, the lift won't count.

Squeezing shoulder blades? Can't say I've ever heard that before. Might work, though.

3) Drive your heels into the ground.
    Perhaps more like keeping your feet well planted on the ground.

You try to get your feet up under your butt as you can, but then you need to keep them squarely planted on the ground.

Just my interpretations...
    Last edited by W8_4_Me; 06-02-2003 at 12:55 PM.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

there is a thread on page 2 which has a link to my last bench competition, go watch it.

Also, you have to pinch your shoulder blades together as much as you can, and arching is smart too, as it reduces the length of your stroke. But you cannot bring your butt off the bench, as this will give you a red light.

B.

Thanks for reminding me about that BM. I wanted to watch it when that thread first got started, but my happy little proxy filter decided I can't at work. I'm going to check it out from how in a few.