The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Losing fat while gaining muscle?

Greetings all.

I have a few questions. First, after a year and a half layoff from any type of training i'm getting back into the groove and things, but need to lose alot of excess bodyfat now. I would also like to be able to pack on some more muscle as well.

My first question is can I alternate? Such as, can I do something like 12 weeks of dieting, then 8-12 weeks of a muscle building program? Like say I drop 15lbs or so in that 12 week program, can I then do a gaining routine to replace it with muscle mass?

My 2nd question is, if I actually can and all, what could I add to the mass program supplement wise? Other then protein and creatine, could I or should I add 1-AD or 1-Test or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think you should still weight train heavy while you cut during those first 12 weeks, you'll probably be able to gain a lot of muscle during that time because you've taken a while off from weight training and your body's immune system will start adapting again pretty quickly. Then, after the cut, for 8-12 weeks you can just eat 500 cals over maintenance to bulk up and gain some more muscle mass(and a little fat). Supplement wise, I don't think you need either of those because you'll be gaining pretty well if your diet and training is in check. Food + water + protein + rest is about all you'll be needing, and creatine as well.
    Last edited by SoulOfKoRea; 06-02-2003 at 07:36 PM.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Re: Losing fat while gaining muscle?

Originally posted by VitalRemains
    My first question is can I alternate? Such as, can I do something like 12 weeks of dieting, then 8-12 weeks of a muscle building program? Like say I drop 15lbs or so in that 12 week program, can I then do a gaining routine to replace it with muscle mass?
    I think what you have outlined above will be fine. Generally people find that focusing on one goal at a time will give them the best results. Although I would not really recommend focusing on X amount of weight in Y amount of time, if that makes sense. When trying to lose/gain weight you should try and lose/gain a small amount each week. It would be quite possible to lose 15lbs. in 12 weeks, but I think gaining 15lbs. of LBM in 12 weeks is a little ambitious. Basically if you lose weight at a slow rate you will minimize the chance of LBM losses, and if you gain weight at a slow rate you will minimize the amount of fat that you gain.

Since you are new to training you quite possibly could gain a little muscle while losing fat.

My 2nd question is, if I actually can and all, what could I add to the mass program supplement wise? Other then protein and creatine, could I or should I add 1-AD or 1-Test or something?
    I think implementing a proper training and diet program will give you good results at this point in time. IMO I would wait on the pro-hormones/1-test because you will more than likely be seeing good gains since you are new to training.

Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
    you'll probably be able to gain a lot of muscle during that time because you've taken a while off from weight training and your body's immune system will start adapting again pretty quickly.
    I know this is off topic, but are you referring to the neural adaptations that that occur which can cause an increase in strength?
    Last edited by bradley; 06-03-2003 at 02:48 AM.

Yeah I know what you're saying. I didn't mean lose 15lbs then gain 15lbs back, what I was referring to as an example would be lose say 15lbs of fat, then add 5lbs of muscle afterwards, lose 10lbs, add 5lbs, lose 10, add 5, ect and so on. Or however much I actually can lose/gain. Mainly the thing is I don't want to have to diet for 9 months or whatever, end up small, then start the mass gaining. If I could i'd preferr to alternate that way when I do drop down to where I need to be in a year or so I will allready have a better foundation of muscle to build onto.