Thread: routine change?

routine change?

I'm thinking of changning my routine...I've been doing alot more volume than usual. When I was fairly new to lifting I made my best gains using push/pull/leg routines. I was doing only big exercies, very little isolation stuff. I still do primarily big exercises, and am now up to a 4 day split. My lifts have been making tremendous gains, best in my life, but I think I am burning myself out. My shoulders and lower back seem to be taking a beating. I am thinking of going back to a more "hardgainer" type routine. A two or three day split, and cutting back on numbers of sets. Part of me thinks if it ain't broke, don't fix it, especially since I am making good strength gains. Another thought is to keep my current split, and increase to the 6-8 rep range(I've been going 3-4 on my heavy sets). I would appreciate some thoughts. You can learn everything you want to know about my workouts in my journal. Thanks everyone.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

ive heard good things about 3-day splits. its all about personal preference IMO. give it a try for a few eeks, and see what happens
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

I'm not so sure I'd do that, if what you are doing is working.

If you feel 'beat up' back off your intensity a bit or take some time off. Reducing your volume but continuing to lift hard will probably not solve your problem.

How long have you been going without a break?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

You might want to try and rotate some of your lifts. If your lower back is taking a beating, take a week or 2 off from deadlifting and squating. I try not to do both in the same week. Maybe even SLDL's on that same note.

For the shoulders you could back off a little on the incline press and dips and focus more towards flat bench and flyes for a short time period.

If I happen to be experiencing a few things that are bothering me I can normally work around them in a fashion that lets them recooperate pretty effectively.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Paul: whats a break? Seriously I don't know the last time I took a break. I guess I took a few days off when I went home for Christmas. Before then... I think going to higher reps will help with the back. I think doing singles and doubles on deads has beat it up. I'm planning on going up to the 6-8 range and I'll see if that helps.

HY: I'm thinking of a change to flat bench, well atleast flat DB. Giving up dips though...
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

If you haven't taken a break for more than 6 months I'd consider taking a week off to let you body recoupe. And if you've been doing the same routines for a few months I would change them up. You're body's probably adapting and cutting into your gains.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial