Thread: Question about increasing reps/stength

Question about increasing reps/stength

I seem to be a bit confused. It seems like my first sets when I do bench go up every week, but my last sets with more weight and less reps haven't gone up recently. For example, 3 weeks ago my workout called for my first set 185 x5, which I did and the 5th rep was all I could do-after that another set of 185 x5. Next week 190 x 5 for 2 sets, again the 5th rep was all I could do. Today, a week later I did 195 x 5, but for all 3 weeks my second or third set called for 215 x 2(185 week), 215 x2 again(190 week) and today 215 x3. Each week I could only do 215 one time.

What I don't get is why wouldn't I be able to do 215 at least twice by now considering my stength has progressed in the last 3 weeks by 10lbs for my first set? Should my stength for heavier sets increase accordinly with my stength for lighter sets?
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Are you taking enough rest between sets? I take about 3-4 min between bench sets and that seems to help instead of rushing through them (1-2 min) like I used to.
    damn it

Originally posted by wolfpack
    Are you taking enough rest between sets? I take about 3-4 min between bench sets and that seems to help instead of rushing through them (1-2 min) like I used to.
    Yea, I rest about 4 minutes between sets on bench.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

The answer is in your statements. You are fatiguing yourself with the first two sets to failure. In doing so, it will take you longer to note an increase in the 2 rep set. In other words, you are stronger, but lifting more weight causes greater fatigue to the body, so your strength level is diminished by the 3rd heavy set to the point that you are only as strong as the previous session. You should guage your progress by your first heavy set (if you can get more reps with the same weight, or more weight for the same reps), the rest doesn't matter. If you wish to train with lower reps and more weight, then I suggest you don't take the first two sets to failure. For example, you could do 3 reps for the 1st set, then jump right to the 215 set and you would find yourself able to get more than one rep. In the end, no routine change is in order, just an expectation change.

Remember one more thing, your body is unique, your body will not accomofate itself to some pre-set rep scheme. Progress is the key, not what the paper says you should do.

also check your diet, I know that when I'm trying to really hit my full potential I have to have a ton of calories during the day. If I go to the gym on an empty stomach then i'm only gonna be able to do 90% of my potential.

Also your doing super low reps there...I personally wouldn't go under 5 reps per set as you'll really start taxing your joints and ligaments (if you do it for prolonger periods of time)