Thread: Starting Weight Training Again after 26 Years

Wannabebig Member

Starting Weight Training Again after 26 Years

Having been out of Bodybuilding since 1977, I have now began the quest again of getting back into shape and hopefully will get back to the size that I once was (close to Bill Goldberg's size) less a little weight...

Having read the forums here for a while and seeing some great info passed on to fellow Bodybuilders, I decided to post my Routine and my Nutritional regiment as I have now just began the quest to regain my original size from years ago. Yes, the BB Bug has bitten again...

As I was out of shape (pretty bad), I started trying to get my Nutrition back in order beginning on May 10, 2003 and have done quite well I must say...

I am 5'10" and on May 10, 2003, my Body Weight was 211 lbs with a %BF of 27%. This is bad. As of June 2, 2003, my Body Weight was down to 199 with a %BF of 26%. Weight doing better but %BF still bad...

I began weight training on June 2, 2003 and have started using some of the same Principle Methods of Weight Training I used in the 60's starting out. But a little history first...

I worked as a Critical Care Paramedic for many years and decided to get out of Paramedicine in 1999 due to having a Testicular Tumor removed in November of 1998. Non-malignant of course. In 1998, I learned that I was a Borderline Diabetic and have controlled my Diabetes through Diet and taking only Glucotrol XL 5mg once daily. My Diabetes is pretty well under control and through my Dr's advice, getting back into Bodybuilding may end my need for the Med overall. I hope so at least. I have not been that active over the years, but the weight training should help tremendously towards ending this diabetes...

In March of 2000, I suffered 2 Heart Attacks and had to have 2 stints placed. In May of 2000, I had a 3rd Heart Attack and due to one of the stints collapsing, I had a third stint inserted. I have been taking Furosimide 40mg (Lasix) since this procedure and I have pretty well watched what I have done since then and have had no problems whatsoever. But I have been inactive over the years and figured it would not hurt to get back into the shape I once was even though I am now 48 years old...

Having consulted with my Dr., he believes that this will be good for me if I start out slowly. He recommended that I first go through a Stress Test to see if my body will allow me to get back into bodybuilding, but I told him that I feel good and that I would be able to better tell if my body would allow with my first workout which I consider would be a better Stress Test than anything a Medical Stress Test would allow...

As I had used the Weider Priniciples for years, I decided to go back and begin with the Level One Training Program I had started with in the 60's...

I use the following Workout which I began on June 2, 2003 and have bagan working out 3 days per week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday):
    • Standing Calf Raises - 3 Sets of 15/10/8 Reps
    • Leg Press - 3 Sets of 15/10/8 Reps
    • Stiff-Legged Deadlift - 3 Sets of 15/10/8 Reps
    • Seated Cable Rows - 3 Sets of 15/10/8 Reps
    • Barbell Incline Bench Press (Med Grip) - 3 Sets of 15/10/8 Reps
    • Side Lateral Raises - 3 Sets of 15/10/8 Reps
    • Lat Pushdowns - 3 Sets of 15/10/8 Reps
    • Barbell Curls - 3 Sets of 15/10/8 Reps
    • Machine Ab Crunches with Weight - 2 Sets of 30/20 Reps
    • Machine Ab Crunches/Twist with Weight - 2 Sets of 30/20 Reps

On Tuesday's and Thursday's, I work only the Abs...

Please note that the 1st Sets of all exercises are Warm-ups with light weight...

I will be using the above routine for about 6 weeks getting back use to using weights and using the strictest forms in any movements. Then will be setting up for the Level 2 Training for about 6 weeks prior to going to a Split Routine...

At this time, I am taking the following Supplements:

CoEnzyme Q-10 50mg (Once Per Day)
    ALA 200 (Once After Workout)
    Whey Protein (Once of the Morning and After Workout)

My diet is consisting of approximately 2,000 Calories and I try to eat 5 to 6 Times Per day, but have been watching my Sodium and Carbs. I hope as my Training continues to get between 2500 and 3000 when I begin my second stage of Training...

I must say that after my workout (which took approximately 1 Hour and 15 Minutes), I felt great. Better than any Stress Test could prove. I did wake up sore this morning, but that is to be expected. If I were not sore, then I would have not done enough. Spoke with my Dr. this morning and he asked how the workout went and I told him great. No shortness of breath and with the workout I did above, I should have been...

I had made a post here on April 6, 2003 with a kind of introduction and being new to Wanna Be Big located at:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...threadid=29816

I have appreciated all the info that has been available here and will continue to read as much as possible...

I am always open to any suggestions and help in any areas that may need changed. I have used the Weider Priniciples for many years (way back) and have always had excellent results from them...

Thanks in advance for any help available...

For the second time in my life, I feel great...
    Last edited by Outlaw; 06-03-2003 at 09:54 AM.
    Outlaw

Congratulations Outlaw! I can relate to you. I'm 40 and getting back into it after 20 some odd years. I lifted for 3 years in high school very seriously. You'll find that your body still remembers what it's suppossed to do. Start nice and easy and you'll do fine.

I notice we're about the same height. But I can't get down as low a weight as you're at now. My lean mass is almost as much as you weigh now. I hope to be around 230-240 and ripped in 9 months to a year. Keep me posted on your progress. I know you'll make it!
    Vocalmaster

Welcome and best of luck Outlaw!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks vocalmaster...

I hope to be able to get back to 235 in the near future. But I am going about this very slowly to prevent any injuries...

As I am now at 199 lbs, what is bothering me is my %BF of 27%...

I am keeping my Carbs low right now just trying to get back into shape. Once I can get my %BF down somewhat, I will then go to the Bulking phase and try to get my weight back up to 235 (or around that vicinity)...

This 1st 6 weeks regiment should let me see how much my body will respond to the training before I go to Level 2...

As I was using low weight on this first day of training and probably will for the 1st 2 weeks, I did get a good feeling after working out...

I have one heck of a Weight Room with Racks, Benches, and about 1,000 lb of Freeweights as well as the Machines...

I figured if I was going after this full bore, I would need this. And as I have my goals burnt into my mind, I don't need to go to some fancy Gym to get my inspiration. My inspiration is Bill Goldberg right now. As I have spoken with him many times and discussed his training, I see what I need to do to get back to where I use to be...

Again, thank you vocalmaster and I am sure we will both succeed in the near future...
    Outlaw

As I was using low weight on this first day of training and probably will for the 1st 2 weeks, I did get a good feeling after working out...

Yes, that muscle memory works great! Sounds like you're on the right track. It'll just take a little time now! Best of luck and let's keep in touch.
    Vocalmaster

good luck outlaw. btw- how did you get your BF% tested? not all BF tests are very accurate.

if you needed some ideas for a bit of a beter workout, you could always look into trying one of the WBB routines as well.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Wannabebig Member
    I have a scale that usually gets pretty close to what it actually is. I am going next week to have an actual BF diagnostic done, so then I will have an accurate scale to work with...

I am also looking at purchasing the FUTREX®-1100 - THE PREMIER PERSONAL BODY FAT TESTER. At only $100.00 and a measurement of .12% Accurate, not a bad deal...
    Outlaw