Thread: People's experiences with HST

People's experiences with HST

I was just wondering what kind of results some of the BBers had using this routine. I'm definitely considering giving this a try. After reading this entire sites info on it, I'm surprised about them putting so much stress on supps. I mean, it just seems like its that big of a deal, with special pre and post workout proteins and everything. Just wondering if it is that important to the routine.
    While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us. -- Ben Franklin

screw the supps part.

the routine is actually very good, I enjoy it.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

that's the response I was hoping to get. I'm not trying to spend all the money I don't have on supps..

Thanks Manveet
    While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us. -- Ben Franklin

Banned
    do more research than reading that site before embarking on HST (there is a lot of good HST info scattered around here for instance)

but yeah, Manveet is correct... no need for special proteins or crap like that for HST to work

I experienced decent strength gains, but that may be attributed to better consistency in training.

I also experienced a lot of joint pain, which took quite some time to go away, due to the heavy frequent weight training sessions during the 5 rep max phase. I know a few others had the same issues, particularly with their wrists on pressing type movements.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Beware of Attack Ferrets
    I've had good results with it, actually I haven't heard anyone really knock it either. Like everyone said here, you dont need the supps.

FuriousFerret, elPietro just knocked it for joint problems, and I'm going to do the same

I have never experienced joint soreness or pain in the past, however I have never worked out with such heavy weights
    (maxing every two weeks! for 1 set per body part!!!!)

My form is good and I have a spotter but I have noticed joint problems in the following movements:
    Tricep rope push down
    DB OH press
    Squats
    T Bar row
    Incline press

At first I attributed the soreness/pain to the use of weights that were well over what I would normally be using.

Then I began thinking it could be the fact that I'm using db's for so many movements and swinging sets of 80-120 lb dumbells up onto yourself so often is awkward and rough on your wrists.

Now after elP's comments I'm wondering if its just the frequency of lifing this amount of weight that is putting such a tax on my joints, my training partner feels the same way (joint pain)

I have an excel spreasheet copy of the HST routine I'm + the weights I use in my journal which should be linked below

PS, on the pro side I have seen good strength gains and I'm doing more weight than ever on these movements

Re: People's experiences with HST

Originally posted by Fightin Irish
    I was just wondering what kind of results some of the BBers had using this routine. I'm definitely considering giving this a try. After reading this entire sites info on it, I'm surprised about them putting so much stress on supps. I mean, it just seems like its that big of a deal, with special pre and post workout proteins and everything. Just wondering if it is that important to the routine.
    my experiences with HST:

1) when i REALLY cranked up calories and slightly increased volume from the default routine, i grew phenomenally well. the key to growing on hst i think is to eat above and beyond the call of duty (full body routines DO carry a very high caloric expense, so i recommend a bit more eating than normal...though i realize this in itself makes it sound like a copout that you need to just eat more to make this a better routine. i don't think that).

2) it's almost always great for strength, even when dieting

3) i don't experience joint pain as i always include the 15s and really capitalize on these. like most people experience, they make me feel good/healthy in general (joints included).

I'm really surprised you guys said you made strength gains on this routine...Bryan admits that it is not at all aimed to increase strength, but rather to increase size (hence the name Hypertrophy Specific Training). For those of you that were making big strength gains, did you do negatives for the 4th "mini-cylce"?

I'm also amazed that your joints were giving you a lot of pain on HST...You're only going to your 5, 10 or 15 rep max once every 2 weeks, and so for the rest of the time you're not training all that close to failure.

The Tuna Tempter
    I had wrist problems when I did HST last year too. It's not HST's fault though. I think it's the fact I was using a straight bar to curl.

-Tank
    Life's too short to be small

Bizatch,
    depends on how much weight your throwing around, your not gonna get joint pain if your maxes are low.
    Also, with 5-10lb jumps in weight your close to your max the entire second week.

Originally posted by geoffgarcia
    Bizatch,
    depends on how much weight your throwing around, your not gonna get joint pain if your maxes are low.
    Also, with 5-10lb jumps in weight your close to your max the entire second week.
    Well, if you have really high maxes then it may be wise to make 20 lb jumps...though my reasoning was that if your maxes are low then 5-10 lbs less than your max is pretty easy, and if your maxes are high, chances are you've been working out a long time and are able to recover from higher volume.

There is an obligatory increase in weight (from 5-20 lbs.) each workout.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 06-04-2003 at 04:32 PM.

Originally posted by Tank23
    I had wrist problems when I did HST last year too. It's not HST's fault though. I think it's the fact I was using a straight bar to curl.

-Tank
    this is an underrated point. i think with more frequent training of any sort (HST included), exercises that have a tendency to 'bother' various joints tend to rear their ugly heads. i think exercise selection and proper form have a lot to do with this. i think many would be surprised to find that years of ****ty exercise choices and ****ty form have caught up with them

I feel that hst is a very well thought out program. As far as the supps I don't think that they push them on you. You can make you own versions drink protein w/ amino acids prework out, then fast digesting whey post workout. Nothing wrong with that. They have some nice science to back this up in the pre/post exercise nutrition article. If the guy trys to make a couple of bux by selling a supplement hey more power to him. But he offers a nice well laid out program with some good science to back it up. I like the program and use their supplement advice, not their supplements.
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

I know several people that have dropped the HST training in the middle of the program from a lack of interest. It tends to get very boring from what alot of people have said. I personally have never done it nor will i ever plan on it. (just not how I train)

Kc