Thread: Napping??

Hybrid View

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

Napping??

Sometimes on my off days I'll take a two hour nap between 1:00pm-3:00 or so. Then I usually get up, eat again and go work out.

I usually get up about 10:00 am and eat.... So I've had a couple meals b4 napping. Here is my eating schedule:

9:30am - Oatmeal/2 cups skim milk

11:30 - Natty Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwich/16oz Bottled water

1:30 - MetRX Protein Plus Shake(23g Protein/3 Carbs)

2:30 - 1/2 Can of Tuna or 1 cup cottage cheese/16oz Bottled water or 12oz Diet Coke

3:30 - Go to Gym(workout, cardio)

6:00 - Post workout MetRX Protein Plus Shake(23g Protein/3 Carbs)

7:30 - 1 Can of Tuna on 2 slices bread or 1 serving Low Fat Chicken Salad(4 chicken breasts, low fat mayo, relish, onions) or Chicken Breasts or Boca Burger or some other low carb/high protein meal

10:00 - 1 cup cottage cheese

12:00 - 1 cup of milk and some small low cal snack

My question is does sleeping with all of that extra food on my belly put extra pounds on?? Is that not good to sleep during the day on a full stomach?

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Beware of Attack Ferrets
    My guess is it would, but looking at your profile it shouldn't be an issue for you. If you are napping obviously your body needs rest so I wouldn't stop doing it.

Probably not....

You may be eating all that food but you're still going to burn the cals when you go the gym.

A nap is very good for the body especially if you really need it.At your present weight don`t worry about it too much ,eat to get bigger.

I'm all about getting bigger.... but not if it means having a gut. My cut off point is 33 inches. I really need to lose inches on my waist. I'm a little over 32 with stomach extended and I need to be at 31 or less. I want abs and they are currently hiding under a thin layer of fat.

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

What's your metabolism like? Is it fast, average or slow?
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

I think it's horribly slow...

But in reality it is probably a little below normal. If I have a big cheat day I will feel very fat for a couple days but I do bounce back fairly quick.

But if I took a week off exercise and ate 1900 calories or so I would certainly have a lot of problems. I have to watch my weight big time or I will gain. I was fat from age 6-16, so I know what it's like...

I'm not on of these people who can sit on their ass and eat pizza and McDonalds and stay at 145. What kills me is that most of my friends are like that.

I got a buddy who smokes weed daily, eats terrible, never works out aside from some push-ups now and then, and he is still skinny and fairly cut. It pisses me off cuz I bust my ass to get cut.

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Originally posted by Mic Soloist
    I got a buddy who smokes weed daily, eats terrible, never works out aside from some push-ups now and then, and he is still skinny and fairly cut. It pisses me off cuz I bust my ass to get cut.
    Aren't most skinny people cut? Just not in a good way.

If you're staying active the naps + food shouldn't hurt you, even with a slow metabolism. Besides, if that's your diet, it sounds like your calories and fat grams are pretty low.

taking in a can and a half of tuna a day might be an issue.

This months issue of Health magazine (june) features a 6 page writeup on mercury in fish.... I was like you and used to eat 2-4 cans of tuna a day for maybe 2-3 years till I found out about how the potential side effects.

Not looking to get flamed here....
    I'll admit the data hasn't been collected yet concerning CANNED tuna, but they say one steak of fresh tuna will put you over the EPA's (environmental protection agency) limit for mercury in your body for an entire month!!!
    And a steak of bluefin tuna can contain more than 10 times the EPA max acceptable allowance

Food for thought, sorry its off topic

Originally posted by geoffgarcia
    taking in a can and a half of tuna a day might be an issue.

This months issue of Health magazine (june) features a 6 page writeup on mercury in fish.... I was like you and used to eat 2-4 cans of tuna a day for maybe 2-3 years till I found out about how the potential side effects.

Not looking to get flamed here....
    I'll admit the data hasn't been collected yet concerning CANNED tuna, but they say one steak of fresh tuna will put you over the EPA's (environmental protection agency) limit for mercury in your body for an entire month!!!
    And a steak of bluefin tuna can contain more than 10 times the EPA max acceptable allowance

Food for thought, sorry its off topic

yea that does worry me...

But I don't eat tuna everyday. I try to eat chicken salad and other forms of protein as well. I eat tuna probably 4 days out of the week.

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

if im correct, i read in mens health that you burn more cal's sleeping than you do sitting and watching tv. so youd be better off sleeping than watching tv. just a little tidbit of info.

I also saw on the news a report on Mercury being in Tuna and Swordfish. It's due to pollution. And out of the Tuna they tested, about 20% of the cans were twice the allowed amount. And cooking it won't change the Mercury levels.

The bottom line was that it was suggested to men that they take in no more that 2 cans per week. But hey, there's a lot of other fish in the sea...
    Last edited by Tim Nissen; 06-03-2003 at 09:57 PM.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

I guess I'll be dying soon.

What does mercury do to the human body?
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Hurts you

Try finding a peer reviewed article that shows toxic effects of mercury in humans (not from massive mercury poisoning, aka japan and iraq/iran)

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Mercury acts like a poison in the body.

I dont buy the tuna scare. Keep eating. Dave Draper ate TONS of tuna..maybe THAT is why he never built an impressive physique!

Anyways, you wont pack on fat by sleeping, thats a myth. Your metabolism doesnt all of a sudden completely stop when you sleep, it keeps working, just like if you were sitting at a desk working. If taking that nap keeps you in the gym at full intensity, then by all means, take the naps.

Its more of a get up at 9:30 and eat, chill for a few minutes and go back to bed for an hour or so that I do. I only do it on off days but I love doing it.

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

If you`re worried about your gut incorporate 3 days of cardio in your routine and do more ab work,or stop napping .

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    I wanted to tell ya that the tuna stuff is B.S. There are very faint levels of mercury in some kinds of canned tuna (such as albacore) but not enough to do a damn thing.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

makes you bald, makes your kids retarded, makes you lose your memory, makes you dizzy, premature aging...
    granted this is over time
    Having 10 tuna steaks in one day isn't going to do it.
    But having 2 a week for 6 years certainly will.

Read the article in Health magazine this month, it was excellent

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Midday naps are good. Most people have a natural dip in energy in the midafternoon anyways. In civilized countries they have siesta hour.

It's all backwards anyways. WHen you're a little kid, everyone tries to get you to nap and you don't want to. Then when you're an adult and are all for an afternoon nap, they don't let you.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

My boss lets me... he just doesn't know it!! lol
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

I have had jobs where I sleep my ass off. I'll just get lost somewhere and camp out for a few minutes. I worked in this factory last summer and I was a service man, which means I ran around doing whatever needed to be done. I would disappear for like an hour and nobody would know or care. I was catching ZZZZZZZ's. Sleeping for 11 bucks an hour is fine with me. But I busted my ass most of the day.

lol

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Wannabebig Member

Mercury

"Mercury threat to children rising," blared a front-page Wall Street Journal article this week.

"A report warning that emissions of mercury by coal-fired power plants and other industrial sources pose an increasing danger to young children has been delayed nine months, while the Bush administration struggles with how to handle an increasingly contentious environmental problem," the Journal reported.

Regardless of whatever "struggle" is occurring in the White House over the report from the Environmental Protection Agency, the facts about mercury aren't likely to support the scary story the EPA is apparently set to tell.

What's really going on is an effort by eco-activist staffers at the EPA to force backbreaking regulations on coal-fired electric power plants.

The EPA apparently will claim in the report, America's Children and the Environment, that there is mounting evidence that mercury is collecting in the blood of women of child-bearing age and that high doses of mercury can cause mental retardation and other neurological disorders in infants.

Mercury occurs naturally in the environment and it can be released into the air through industrial emissions. It can get into both fresh and salt water and then accumulate up the food chain through fish and birds.

There is no question mercury can cause toxic effects -- just like every substance including water, sugar and salt. It's a matter of dose, though.

Harm to the nervous systems of unborn children is the primary concern. Two episodes of mass mercury poisoning bear this out. A number of Japanese children living near Minamata Bay in the 1950s were mentally retarded and had other neurological problems after pregnant mothers ate fish contaminated with high levels of methyl mercury.

No one knows exactly how much mercury was consumed by the mothers. But mercury levels in samples of the mothers’ hair averaged 41 parts per million (ppm).

A second episode of mass mercury poisoning occurred in Iraq in the 1970s when seed grain treated with a mercury-containing fungicide was consumed. The effects on the Iraqi children mirrored those reported among the Japanese children. Although maternal hair levels of methyl mercury ranged from one to 674 ppm, many children of Iraqi mothers with hair concentrations exceeding 100 ppm had normal development.

Despite the association between mercury and the neurological problems among the Japanese and Iraqi children, these episodes are of little relevance to fish consumption in the U.S.

The average level of mercury in hair associated with seafood consumption in the U.S. is 0.12 ppm, according to a 1997 study. This level of mercury exposure is not associated with harm to children's nervous systems.

A July 2000 report from the National Academy of Sciences noted that a 66-month study of 711 children in the Seychelles Islands assessed the effects of prenatal mercury in tests of global intelligence and developmental milestones. No adverse effects were attributable to mercury. Maternal hair samples collected at birth contained mercury concentrations that ranged from 0.5 to 27 ppm.

A smaller study of Faroe Islands children reported only "subtle" (invisible?) effects at corresponding exposure levels.

The NAS concluded "the functional importance of the apparent effects is uncertain," and the studies "provide little evidence" that children are affected appreciably by low-dose prenatal exposure to mercury.

This body of evidence linking low-level mercury exposure with harm to children is so weak that U.S. regulations are based on extrapolation from the Iraqi poisoning data. The EPA's current "safe" level of mercury exposure is based on a maternal hair level of about 11 ppm -- way above U.S. exposures to mercury from fish consumption.

Even the intake of mercury among women of child-bearing age who consume the most fish is about three times below the level at which risks are thought to begin.

So what's all the fuss about?

Congress barred the EPA from regulating mercury emissions from electric power plants until the NAS reported on the matter, which it did in July 2000.

With the EPA unchained, coal-hating environmentalists clamor for stringent regulation of mercury emissions to make it more difficult for coal-fired power plants to operate.

Hoping to steal the environmentalists' thunder and pre-empt EPA over-regulation, the Bush administration has proposed the Clear Skies Act that, among other things, would require industries to reduce mercury emissions by 50 percent by 2010 and by 70 percent by 2018.

Caught between a rock and hard place, the electric power industry says that it can meet the 2018 goal, but that the 2010 goal is "unrealistic."

What's really unrealistic -- given our indisputably low-levels of mercury exposure -- is the notion that mercury poses an imminent public health threat and that burdensome regulation is needed.

Steven Milloy is the publisher of JunkScience.com, an adjunct scholar at the Cato Institute and the author of Junk Science Judo: Self-defense Against Health Scares and Scams (Cato Institute, 2001).

Respond to the Writer