The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: Should I work out with my fractured ankle?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 33.33%
  • No

2 66.67%

working out with fractured ankle

Should I do it? 2 of 3 docs said upper body might be okay, the other said I have more important things right now, and I should give it a pass.

Anyway, I've got 5 weeks (I'm being positive, so in my mind, that's not that long) left in the cast. Do you think it's okay just to do upper body, say two days a week, using just machines? (I can't bear any weight, so loading up a bar is out of the question, and I don't want to depend on someone else to do that for me.)

Can I maintain with just machines?

Anyone think I'm out of mind and should just give it a pass for 5 weeks?

Would love to hear from medical professionals or anyone with personal related experience.

Any input welcome, though. It's lonely in the cast (and frightening on public transit in the cast).

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    I would go on and do as much as possible with the upper body... but some people will probably say I'm crazy.

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

I'd work my upper body even if I had two broken legs Lifting is like a drug and there is no way you can escape it!
    -=-* Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *-=-

No, I agree. The point is, do I let myself do what I want to do, or do I give it a pass for the time being? I don't want to risk more permanent-type injury, though I don't see how working my upper body might do that.

Obviously you could do seated and lying upper body exercises such as tri-extensions, military press, DB presses etc...

Anything standing and you will not have the skeletal rigidity to lift any significant amount for significant reps.

The key is to not go as heavy on your seated and lying exercises as you usually would to avoid over tensing and delaying your healing process which, ask your doctor, is actually possible.

Speaking from personal experience.

Back in the game
    tuttut tuttut
    Lordy,Lordy.
    Wont mind hanging out the back of that- Paddy.

There is a miracle supplement its called 110%
    Hardwork that is..........- Peter Parker

Your workouts are only limited cos of your imagination- Peter Parker

No movie makes me Question my own sexuality quite like this one - Gyno Rhino

you should let it heal, how long did they say it would take?
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

SoulOfKoRea--6 weeks total in the cast. I've got 5 weeks plus one day left in the cast (not that I'm counting down or anything ) and then whatever rehab after that. Why do you ask? I just imagine how out of shape I will be, though getting around is difficult enough. You're not allowed to lean on your crutches, you sort of prop yourself up on them, so it's like I'm doing the end of a dip everytime I use my crutches.

When I was a kid, I used to think it might be cool to break a bone. It so isn't.

I don't know. I trained regularly before, so I'm guessing even being 6 to 8 weeks away from training won't be *too* bad; all that muscle memory and stuff.... (this is where anyone can stick in encouraging words).