Thread: increase punch

Wannabebig Member

increase punch

I just wanted to know what workouts to do to increase my punch . im thinkin abot gettin into boxing and my punch isnt that powerful. Any tips would be good. thank you
    bill fagan

Any upper body compound movements would probably be good, i.e. bench press, military press, etc. Working on a heavy bag is probably a good idea too.
    "If we're all God's children....what's so special about Jesus?" - Jimmy Carr

"The only difference between a dead skunk lying in the road and a dead lawyer lying in the road is that there are skid marks around the skunk."
    Patrick Murray.

Don't mistake kindness for weakness.

Wannabebig Member
    yea thats what i was thinkin too, probably chest , shoulders , alot of forearms, back and triceps. I was maybe thinkin grabbing a fifteen pound dumbell and throwing light punches, nice and slow. I have a heavy bag and a speed bad they should help a little.
    bill fagan

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    dont forget without heavy leg training you wont be able to withstand a good punch. They are there to stablize you.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

Wannabebig Member
    lol yea thats true too, i guess i ahev to work out the whole body for my punch to go up. but know another question should i work out for strenght or size i would figure strenght. or maybe even a little strenght a little cut so i can be faster and stronger.
    bill fagan

Get into boxing and learn how to punch first.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Originally posted by ElPietro
    I agree, I boxed for a few weeks years ago but I couldn't hack it cause I smoked. Anyways they teach you how to throw a punch. You will be able to punch alot harder than any of your non-boxing friends, even most of the bigger ones. If you really feel you need to get ready for boxing, do some forearm/wrist strengthening stuff. The main problem with boxing is hand/wrist pain, so strengthen those muscles to prevent injury. For punches, one of the main muscles involved is the lats also. Goodluck, just remember it's ok to get your beat up in the gym, everyone does, boxing is a sport

A punch is thrown from the back and legs.....not the chest and shoulders.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Originally posted by rippedfool
    but know another question should i work out for strenght or size i would figure strenght. or maybe even a little strenght a little cut so i can be faster and stronger.
    If your main goal is to be a good boxer lift for strength. Try a powerlifting type program like Westside. The speed days they incorperate translate well for boxing.

There is another powerlifting program I want to recomend, but all I can remember about it is something about the "cable bar" guy. Can someone help me out here?

A punch is thrown from the back and legs.....not the chest and shoulders.
    Absolutely correct. As well, your hips play big role a power punch. Training your arms is important, besides strength, it helps keep your hands up, and make em lighter as the fight goes on.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Wannabebig Member
    A heavybag will do you more good than any specific strength training exercise.

Originally posted by ElPietro
    yup. All the training related advice is some good supplementary work but you're not gonna be a good puncher without a lot of practice.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Wannabebig Member
    thanks guys
    bill fagan

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    remember technique first, speed second, power third. Although they should all come in together really, but technique is ALWAYS important.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Banned
    A study by Verkoshansky revealed that the majority of a knock-out punch's power comes from the hip. I'll dig it up, Pavel cites it in one of his books.

edit-did I actually type "sites"?
    Last edited by silles; 08-11-2003 at 10:28 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    yup, i just found that out i went to a gym that was pretty much set up for boxing and most of the people there said it was mostly in the legs and the hips and back,
    bill fagan

You want to punch hard? Better have a strong core. Punching is a rotational thing with the body, and a linear thing with the arm.

Hard hitters are those that can rotate their hips hard and fast and efficiently translate that power generated in the body's core through their arm, into their fist and through the opponent's jaw.

B.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks fo the tips guys. I bought a book and it has pretty good information on it. Actually itr has all the things you guys told me but in detail. I guess you guys know what your talkin about.
    bill fagan