The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: need advice

need advice

Lately I've been having a hard time with my progression-there doesn't seem to be much as far as muscle mass. I started lifting regularly about a year and a half ago. Initially I was 5'9 and weighed 142-really skinny. I followed the site and instruction from other members and am now up to 168. However, it seems to me that much of my gains came from my eating regiment which before the program was very low (obviously).

Lately I've noticed problems areas. And although I know that it might be b/c I am now more aware of my body, I can't help but feel that I am not gaining muscle the way other guys in the gym seem to.

I have changed my routine several times to mix it up and keep my muscles from getting used to it. I am always working to increase my load everyday in the gym and I am currently intaking about 2850-3000 cal a day. I tried creatine but found little change so I stopped. I started 1t juice and humanovar but they made me sick so stopped. I'm trying to take regular protein drinks after every workout now. In particular my arms are skinny and don't seem to change much. I'd like to bulk them up, but I also know this is hard when you have skinny wrists, which I do.

Recently I switched to Maki's "rountine 3" style with 2 sets of 6 and 10 reps. Anyway I'd like to list my routine I am currently using and hope someone could shed some light on my problems. (at least in the gym ha ha)

Day 1
    chest
    dumbell decline press 65lbs 6 reps/ 60lbs 8 reps
    seated cable fly 65lbs 9reps/ 60lbs 8 reps
    seated weighted dips 140lbs 6 reps/ 135lbs 8 reps

Back
    Underhand pull up 10reps/ 10 reps
    dumbell bent over rows 60 lbs 10 reps/ 55lbs 12 reps
    Barbell Shrug 170lbs 6 reps/ 160lbs 10 reps

Day 2 OFF

Day 3
    Legs
    Decline Press 370lbs 10 reps/ 360lbs 10 reps
    Squat 300lbs 8 reps/ 290lbs 10 reps
    Leg extensions 145lbs 9 reps/ 135lbs 9 reps
    Calve Raises 120lbs 11 reps/ 110lbs 13 reps
    Tibia raises 100lbs 8 reps 90lbs 10reps

Day 4 OFF

Day 5
    SHoulders

Dumbell Front Raises 40lbs 8 reps/ 35lbs 10reps
    Dumbell upright Row 45lbs 8 reps/ 40lbs 10 reps

Triceps
    One arm cable press 75lbs 9 reps/ 65lbs 11 reps
    DB Overhead Tricep extension 70;bs 10 reps/ 65lbs 10 reps

Biceps
    One arm cable curl 65lbs 7 reps/ 55lbs 11 reps
    DB concentration curl 35lbs 6 reps/ 30lbs 9 reps

I get about 7-9 hours of sleep a night. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    of your total calories, what is the macronutrient breakdown?
    can you give an example of a typical day's eating?

5 meals a day and yes a bit too much fat probably but here is an example

meal 1
    cup of oatmeal
    a shake made from;
    -banana
    -1 small peach
    -1 cup of fruit yogurt
    -2 whole eggs

meal 2
    1/2 subway BMT sandwich
    3 types of meat
    Cup of Milk

Meal 3
    2nd half Subway sandwich
    Cup of milk

Meal 4
    Hungry man chicken dinner
    w/ chicken breast, potatoes,corn, dessert

meal 5
    Chicken sandwich on whole wheat
    cup of juice or milk.

PLUS on training days add Designer protein shake about 160 cals. each

I try to aim for close to 600 cals a meal

Banned
    plug all that into fitday.com and you'll see the macro breakdown

I'd suspect you're probably a bit low on protein and highish on carbs from a glance

there's also not really any sources of EFAs in that diet

I'll give that a try. could that be hindering my arm growth though? Did you think the routine I posted seemed substantial enough?

Also, EFA's? What the hell is that? lol

How long have you been doing this routine? And what exactly are your goals? You've gained 26lbs in a year and a half...that is awesome BUT, gains aren't linear...the bigger you get, the harder it is to gain mass.

Having said that, if you're diet is good (although, I think you could add a few more cals to that), and you're getting 7-9 hours of sleep, then it comes down to your workout. Try adding 5-10lbs to all your lifts and still go for those same rep ranges....maybe you just need a kick in the intensity....OR, maybe this is your body telling you to back up and take a break for a week or something.

Good luck!

Originally posted by jock227
    Lately I've been having a hard time with my progression-there doesn't seem to be much as far as muscle mass. I started lifting regularly about a year and a half ago. Initially I was 5'9 and weighed 142-really skinny. I followed the site and instruction from other members and am now up to 168. However, it seems to me that much of my gains came from my eating regiment which before the program was very low (obviously).

*** Progression in the form of "muscle mass" developes over time. Don't expect some sort of miraculous growth spurt over night and then expect your growth to continue at a steady pace. Are you aware that a 26 pound increase in bodyweight is something that you should feel great about? These type of gains are hard to continue once you've passed the "newbie" stage so, don't beat yourself up trying to do something that is next to impossible to achieve. Remember, your goal is to add as much muscle on your body while minimizing the amount of fat gain you put on. Doing so, is a slow and steady process that takes 'years.' You've been at it for one year. My advice here woud be to get a body fat test done every 3 months. This will give you a better picture as to what your increase is and where it's are coming from (fat to muscle increase or vice versa).

Lately I've noticed problems areas. And although I know that it might be b/c I am now more aware of my body, I can't help but feel that I am not gaining muscle the way other guys in the gym seem to.

*** When you say problem areas, do you mean that certain bodyparts are not up to par with other parts of your body? If so, fix them. Make them a priority. Work them first in your session and first in the week. Work them using high volume for a period of time and then switch, and lower the volume and work them to postive failure. That is one simple method that's effective.

Don't get sucked into the mental trap that many people including myself get caught up in. That is, comparing yourself to others. By doing this you are only setting yourself to fail even more. Compare yourself with what YOU achieve in terms of results. Keep in mind that because of our individuality we should not compare ourselves with others.

I have changed my routine several times to mix it up and keep my muscles from getting used to it. I am always working to increase my load everyday in the gym and I am currently intaking about 2850-3000 cal a day. I tried creatine but found little change so I stopped. I started 1t juice and humanovar but they made me sick so stopped. I'm trying to take regular protein drinks after every workout now. In particular my arms are skinny and don't seem to change much. I'd like to bulk them up, but I also know this is hard when you have skinny wrists, which I do.

*** One mistake many people make, is trying to progress too quickly. Progressing in weight every workout is far too much to ask of yourself as your body adapts at different rates. Try to aim at progressing in one area every workout. If that means doing one more rep for your chest press or being able to get a shorter rest period in before your next set and still getting the same number of reps in, that would suffice.

Supplements can work, but stick to food for now. It's been said before, if your gains stall adjust your cals. As for your arms, I have piss poor arms, my wrists are skinny so you're definitely not alone. I would suggest giving Chris Mason's arm routine a go. He's very knowledgable and holds vast amount of experience.

Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

thanks to both of you, particularly Maki. I get embarassed about my arm often b/c they remind me I am still skinny which as I'm sure any guy who grew up skinny will agree, is a hard thing to swallow. I'll check into Chris's arm routine.

Glad to hear your comment on it taking "years" to get big b/c oftentimes on here no one mentions that. they say it takes "time" I have no problem with "years" of training b/c i genuinely like my time at the gym and do appreciate the weight I have gained and the strength I have gained. Anyway I'm rambling. Thanks again Maki. I'll check with Chris for his routine. is it posted?

Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Mason's routine should help your arms, but you should also try adding deadlifts to your back day and mabye clean&press to your shoulder day. They are great lifts for helping add overall body mass. That was one of your problems wasn't it?
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

thanks bruteman I'll give it a try as well. yeh I definately want more mass but specifically I feel my arms are too skinny. Not sure what the clean and press is but I'll look it up. thanks bro

As far as your diet, I would drop the hungry man ****. That stuff is garbage and so is the chicken in it. Get chicken breats instead and baked potatoes. Subway is still fast food, make your sandwhiches yourself and save a lot of money. I would eat more than what you are eating now and a lot cleaner.

I would be doing deadlifts as well as bb rows on your back day. If you wanna make your arms bigger make your ENTIRE body bigger.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock