Thread: rear delts?

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity

rear delts?

Something has been bothering me and it might prove to be a severe limiting factor to my strength and progress. I have a hunk of shoulder muscle on the side of my shoulders and I have a hunk on the front but I feel nothing on the back...isnt there supposed to be muscle there???? I think Im all messed up. How do I get muscle there?
    Last edited by JustinASU; 06-04-2003 at 10:16 PM.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

Yes there's supposed to be muscle there And there is, you just haven't hit it well enough. Delts are made up of three heads. To work your posterior (rear) delts, try bent over dumbell or cable raises or try standing cable raises. You just need to target the rear head better. In my experience it's the hardest of the three heads to work. Or maybe it's just the least fun
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    raises? are these like lateral raises?
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

in a chest fly type movement you bring your hands together in front of your chest...for rear delts it the opposite you want to pull your arms away from each other and back.... you can do this on a bench or sit backwards on a fly machine

traps are also very important for rear delt development.
    if you dont do traps you wont get as good results in rear delt development
    IMHO

Remember, your rear delt is a very small muscle, so if you do make the choice to add direct work to it, make sure the volume is low. I have seen more growth from it after I *stopped* doing direct work and focused on compounds that worked it indirectly, such as the bent-over-row (in various flavors).

I have 'em growing with one set a week, with one drop. But it's obvious sometimes rows get the job done, and I'll skip the excersise.
    "And if that doesnt work, bend her over, tear off the stretchpants, and go wild on the little slut. When you're done, drop her like a missed rep. When she's regained her senses, complain that she was making too much noise. She will then realize the error of her ways, and give you her number." - Budiak

"I have a girl that i have ride around with me everywhere, just cuz she's a ditz and amuses me. its great." - Ace Dogg

What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Some good rear delt exercises are Bentover DB Rows, Bentover Lateral Raises, and Reverse Flyes.

Yeah, don't know nothing as disturbing as nonexistent rear delts.
    "And if that doesnt work, bend her over, tear off the stretchpants, and go wild on the little slut. When you're done, drop her like a missed rep. When she's regained her senses, complain that she was making too much noise. She will then realize the error of her ways, and give you her number." - Budiak

"I have a girl that i have ride around with me everywhere, just cuz she's a ditz and amuses me. its great." - Ace Dogg

Reverse flyes and rows are great for the rear delt.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Reverse flyes ARE great for the rear delts, but like others mentioned, it's a small muscle in a small muscle group, so don't overdo it.

AND, check the ego and make sure you use the proper form, i.e. your arms and shoulders should be the only body parts in motion, which will mean using a small weight and not caring that you aren't impressing anyone with your poundages. Of course, you can always use the big dumbbells and get your lower back/whole body into it whilst grunting and looking around to see who's noticing you. But then that really won't do anything for the rear delts... If you sit backwards on an incline bench and keep your upper body pressed into the pad with your chin on the top of the pad, that helps to isolate the rear delts and keep you from cheating on the motion.

Incidentally, strong rear delts will help prevent shoulder injuries as well. The rear delt is the part of the shoulder most often overlooked (i.e., not part of the "mirror muscles" group), but having a discrepancy there can really wreak havoc later on down the line.

Good luck!
    Last edited by IceRgrrl; 06-06-2003 at 10:40 AM.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost