The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Banned

My fricken sternum hurts so bad .. sharp pain

I have to believe it's from benching.

but it's like... on the sternum.. the midline of my chest. there's a sharp pain right there. It hurts when i take in a breath.. and it hurts when i stretch out my chest. It's been just about a week since i last benched.. and it still hurts.

it's not a sore type of feeling... it's more of like a sharp feeling in the chest.

i looked it up online... and i found some stuff that said that i tore some connective tissue connecting the pectorals to the sternum... or something like that.

does anybody have any experience with this pain? I'm supposed to bench tomorrow, but i'm afraid to now, because i haven't completely healed.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

how old are you?
    I've been getting that same pain on and off since I was about 17 I think, I'm 27 now. I think I know exactly what your talking about. I think its common but it really sucks when you get it especially the first time!!!!

I usually get it for about 30 minutes once every 4-7 months.
    The worst is when you know its there and your just waiting for it to "crack" hahaha that SUCKS!!! *hahahah*

good luck and dont worry to much about it, I dont....

Banned
    yea i can hear it cracking as i rotate my arms about the shoulder, as i stretch my chest out.

it's more of a dull pain after resting for about a week... does the pain go away?

Are these high in protein? AlexBBbegginer's Avatar
    see a physio or dr, its probably a good idea to stretch that area everyday and thoroughly before you lift too.

Spose i should put a chest stretch into my warm up, could save me a nasty shock...
    One the road to 180lbs...

7.5lbs gained in 3 weeks!

Banned
    i usually stretch very thoroughly .. ESPECIALLY on chest day

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    if you stretch before that could have caused the injury...

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Do you do dips?
    5-9 170

Banned
    Originally posted by ryan1117
    Do you do dips?
    i remember doing dips in the past, and i had a similar type of pain when performing them. but never any pain from normal benching.

i have since stopped doing them.. but yes, you must know wut i'm talking about, because doing the dips made my sternum hurt as well. But usually that pain was only during the exercise, and went away the next day.

this pain is still present after 1 week of rest.

I had pain in that area turned out to be from the preacher curl bench. Just a thought. Hope it get's better man, pain is so annoying!
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

Banned
    Originally posted by SquareHead
    I had pain in that area turned out to be from the preacher curl bench. Just a thought. Hope it get's better man, pain is so annoying!
    i'm assuming i shouldn't heavy bench until it feels pretty solid.. yes?

Well I would think that benching could irritate the sternum but as long as you don't bounce I should think you would be ok. Always best to give the area some rest. Wow that was the best rhyme ever. When I had mine I just didn't use the preacher curl bench for a while then after made sure I placed the seat part higher so that my chest didn't press so much on the pad. If yours is from benching you should try to figure out why. Like is it bouncing the bar is it bad form are you lifting too heavy are you benching too often. All of these could be a factor. But rest is best. hehe I love that now.
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

Banned
    Originally posted by SquareHead
    Well I would think that benching could irritate the sternum but as long as you don't bounce I should think you would be ok. Always best to give the area some rest. Wow that was the best rhyme ever. When I had mine I just didn't use the preacher curl bench for a while then after made sure I placed the seat part higher so that my chest didn't press so much on the pad. If yours is from benching you should try to figure out why. Like is it bouncing the bar is it bad form are you lifting too heavy are you benching too often. All of these could be a factor. But rest is best. hehe I love that now.
    hmm.. i bench 1x a week

i never bounce the bar on my chest, because i only bring it to about 1-2 inches off my chest to prevent shoulder problems.

i use slow and controlled reps in the 6-8 rep range.

i DID go for a personal best of 250 lbs for 6 reps the last time i benched, with the pain occuring the following day after that workout.

i'm gona try to give it some rest, but i don't like the idea of wasting away while i rest... because before the previous workout.. i took a 2 week break off from weights... looks like it'll be another 2-3 weeks off.