Thread: OVT or this 4 day split for me?

Wannabebig New Member

OVT or this 4 day split for me?

Here's the routine, Optimized Volume Training from t-mag (OVT): http://www.testosterone.net/nation_articles/257ovt.jsp

Can I take the leg day, and take it OUT, swapping in my own leg routine for power + speed building (not size/hypertrophy). I don't really care about big bulky legs.

I would do OVT exactly the same, except on leg day I would do:

Squats: 5 x 12, 10, 8, 6, 6
    Lunges: 3 x 10-12
    Deadlift: 5 x 12, 10, 8, 6, 6
    Calf Raises: 3 x 12

Otherwise, I would keep all days the same. In order to fit OVT into my schedule, I would change the order of the days from this....

Day 1: Chest and back
    Day 2: Legs and abs
    Day 3: Off
    Day 4: Biceps and triceps
    Day 5: Off
    Day 6: Anterior/medial deltoid and rear deltoid
    Day 7: Off

to what someone else suggested, which was this...

Day 1: Chest and back
    Day 2: Legs and abs
    Day 3: Biceps and triceps
    Day 4: Off
    Day 5: Anterior/medial deltoid and rear deltoid
    Day 6: Off
    Day 7: Off

That way, it'd fit into a Monday-Friday schedule. Some weeks, I would skip day 7 entirely (basically take one day off between day 5 and day 1). One day difference in rest time wouldn't make a huge difference, do you think?

Tell me what you think of my modifications, and if it's a good idea. The biggest change will be the leg day, but I don't want to lose my explosiveness/speed training. If you guys think my leg routine sucks, I'd be more than happy to take suggestions, as well. I understand deadlifts and squats on the same day will be rough, any other suggestions totally welcome.

Tell me what you think. I've finally made up my stupid mind!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The other option is this 4-day split I found on bodybuilding.com's forums. This is it.

Monday
    Squats 4
    Leg Press 4
    Leg Extension 2
    Leg Curl 3
    Stiff-Leg Deadlifts 3

Tuesday
    Bench Press 4
    Incline DB Press 3
    Dips 2
    Close-grip Bench 3
    Skullcrushers 3

Thursday
    Deadlift 4
    BB Rows 3
    Pullups 3
    DB Rows 2
    Barbell Curls 3
    Incline DB Curls 3

Friday
    Seated DB Press 4
    Side Laterals 3
    Rear Laterals 3
    Shrugs 3
    Calf Raises 3

All the #s are the # of sets I'm going for. I'd aim for 6-8 reps per set.

Which would you guys suggest for me?

I'm 16yrs old, 5'8", 135lbs, and have been lifting for about 5 months. I also just started taking creatine this week, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the input.

IMO i'd go with the split from bodybuilding.com. the first 2 splits you mentioned have you working your legs the very next day after working your back, which wouldnt be ideal IMHO.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble