The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

Two quick Shake Questions...

1. I read somewhere that drinking whey shakes in the morning is bad cuz the body will turn the whey into sugar.... true or false??

2. Instead of mixing whey with just water after workout, would it be good to mix it with powerade for high GI carbs??

If not, what are some other things to mix into shake. Water and whey just sounds nasty.... especially my 100% whey chocalate flavor.

Thanks

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: Two quick Shake Questions...

Originally posted by Mic Soloist
    1. I read somewhere that drinking whey shakes in the morning is bad cuz the body will turn the whey into sugar.... true or false??
    That is true but only if you take the whey by itself. If you have some carbs or fat along with the whey shake then it will not be converted to glucose.

2. Instead of mixing whey with just water after workout, would it be good to mix it with powerade for high GI carbs??

If not, what are some other things to mix into shake. Water and whey just sounds nasty.... especially my 100% whey chocalate flavor.
    I would mix it with some dextrose which would be cheaper than buying a Powerade in the long run, or you could buy some powdered Gatorade or smarties candy

You can usually find dextrose at any store that sells home brewing supplies and it is relatively inexpensive.

So if I have

Oatmeal w/ 1 cup milk

MetRx Protein Plus Shake(not 100% whey) w/ 1.5 cups milk

I will be cool for breakfast

And 100% whey + Dextrose + H20 = perfect post workout shake???

If so how much of each in the shake. My whey is 20g per scoop.

-peace-
    Last edited by Mic Soloist; 06-05-2003 at 03:42 AM.
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

And 100% whey + Dextrose + H20 = perfect post workout shake???

If so how much of each in the shake. My whey is 20g per scoop.

-peace-
    the breakfast looks fine IMO.

in my shake i put in 1 scoop (22g of protein) of whey and ~60g of dextrose

Immediately after working out, I drink whey (34g) mixed with water, and eat an orange. I know this isn't enough carbs, so am I wasting the whey? I don't like sweet things (fruit's ok), so what should I do? I eat a meal like 40min-1hour later.

Originally posted by manowar669
    Immediately after working out, I drink whey (34g) mixed with water, and eat an orange. I know this isn't enough carbs, so am I wasting the whey? I don't like sweet things (fruit's ok), so what should I do? I eat a meal like 40min-1hour later.
    If you don't like sweet foods then you could eat some type of high GI whole food like white rice or white bread. A liquid carb source would be better IMO, but the whole food would be better than no carbs at all. I mean just mix up the whey and dextrose in a little water and gun it down. I know it is really sweet but it only takes a few minutes to drink a shake down.

You are not really wasting the whey but you are not really using it for the purpose you intended either. Your body is just converting the whey to glucose. The body is very effecient and that is what it needs at that point in time.

So, is there a real food alternative to dextrose (or maltodextrin)? Something commonly available at grocery stores, and a liquid. I read that the sugar in grapes is mostly glucose, instead of fructose. So would no-sugar-added grape juice be ok?

Originally posted by manowar669
    So, is there a real food alternative to dextrose (or maltodextrin)? Something commonly available at grocery stores, and a liquid. I read that the sugar in grapes is mostly glucose, instead of fructose. So would no-sugar-added grape juice be ok?
    The grape juice is roughly half fructose and half glucose. To my knowledge there are no foods that are going to have a high amount of dextrose/maltodextrin without something else added in. Grape juice is probably going to be your best bet as far as a natural source of dextrose. A little fructose is beneficial postworkout, but I think you would be better off going with some white rice or white bread if you are going to go with whole foods as a carb source.

Like I mentioned earlier you could use smarties or some other type of candy (check the ingredients) for your postworkout carb source.

I tryed my new 100% whey today after my workout and I mixed it with water. It was HORRIBLE!!!!! I almost threw up.... it tasted so terrible there is no way I can drink it like that again. It's supposed to have a chocalate flavor but it just tasted like fizzed sh-t water.

Is there any other way to drink your post-workout shake without just whey and water. What about mixing it with juice or milk, or anything other than water.

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Is there any other way to drink your post-workout shake without just whey and water. What about mixing it with juice or milk, or anything other than water.
    I would recommend taking in some form of high GI carb postworkout so that should help the flavor. If you add some dextrose to the mix it will make it a lot sweeter which will help the taste, or you could mix it with some powdered Gatorade which should help improve the flavor.

chocalate mixed with Gaterade??

hmmm, well anything is better than the sh-t I tried to drink yesterday.

Would mixing it with milk really make it that much less effective?

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

I just got some chocolate whey. It tastes great w/ milk! But maybe it varies by brand. I love mine though.
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

chocalate mixed with Gaterade??
    I agree it doesn't sound to glamorous does it? Although I have seen people mix vanilla flavored protein with orange Gatorade.

Would mixing it with milk really make it that much less effective?
    I would make it less effective, but by how much I am not sure. When mixing it with milk you are also not providing enough carbs to refill muscle glycogen. If the only way you can drink your postworkout shake is by mixing it with milk then that is better than nothing but I would try and get more carbs than the 1 or 2 cups of milk provides.

What about mixing it with milk and having half a bagal, or a piece of white or wheat bread....

Also... I buy 100% whey and the MetRx Protein Plus blend. So could I have a MetRx shake and add in a scoop of 100% whey post workout(that would be 43 grams of protein) instead of just having 100% whey. Or would the whey(and a high GI carb) alone be more effective.

Or does it not matter?

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

What about mixing it with milk and having half a bagal, or a piece of white or wheat bread....
    Yeah that would work. I would go with the white bread.

Also... I buy 100% whey and the MetRx Protein Plus blend. So could I have a MetRx shake and add in a scoop of 100% whey post workout(that would be 43 grams of protein) instead of just having 100% whey. Or would the whey(and a high GI carb) alone be more effective.

Or does it not matter?
    I would stick with the 100% whey and high GI carbs. You will already be getting in some caisen from the milk that you mix the 100% whey in. You can save the protein blend for other times during the day.
    Last edited by bradley; 06-06-2003 at 09:11 AM.

Ok, last one

About how much protein do you think I should be getting post workout

Is 20 grams enough or should I get more?

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Hold your nose and down it as fast as possible. You won't taste it until it's all down, and then you can avoid gagging by chasing it with something better. It'll make you a better person.

I think 20g is fine and probably about 50-60g of carbs.

thats how much i use. 22g of protein, just under 60g of dextrose