Thread: powerlifting routine - feedback

powerlifting routine - feedback

i'm curious how many people currently follow a powerlifting routine, as i've flirted with the idea of attempting to focus on bringing up the strength of the 'big three' (though probably shrug bar deadlifts over the standard straight bar variety) for a while.

westside etc...feedback, perhaps, on these regimens.

I do westside. It has really helped me build the three lifts. Westise is great. You can customize it many different ways to train your weaknesses. I also like the amount of ME lifts that you can choose from. This is my favorite type of "routine" I've ever done. I've never done any powerlifting before I started it just bodybuilding.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

Originally posted by dkliewer
    I do westside. It has really helped me build the three lifts. Westise is great. You can customize it many different ways to train your weaknesses. I also like the amount of ME lifts that you can choose from. This is my favorite type of "routine" I've ever done. I've never done any powerlifting before I started it just bodybuilding.
    well gimme more specifics...what would a typical week for you look like. how do you mark progression...how often do you actually TRAIN your PR's for the big three?

well gimme more specifics

Check out my journal. Paul Stagg, NateDogg, and Budiak are all doing westside too.
    www.elitefts.com This is the home of westside. Read and learn.

what would a typical week for you look like

Sunday: Max Effort Squat/Deadlift, Tuesday: Max Effort Bench, Thursday: Dynamic Effort Squat/Deadlift, Friday: Dynamic Effort Bench. On the max effort days you pick a movement and work up to a 1RM. On the dynamic effort days you do explosive movements. For Squat/Deadlift day you do box squats, and for the bench day you would do speed benches.

how do you mark progression

I mark progression on ME Day. I try to hit a 5 pound PR. If I can do more then I raise the weight.

how often do you actually TRAIN your PR's for the big three?

I only train the squat, bench, and dead about once every eight weeks.

I'd really encourage you to go to elitefts.com and read some of the articles. There is a sample routine too if you want to look at that. It would show you a little better how a nine week training program is laid out.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

Hey Blow, what are your current strength levels and what are your goals?

Originally posted by chris mason
    Hey Blow, what are your current strength levels and what are your goals?
    my strength levels on the 'big three' aren't overly impressive

my max bench is probably ~260
    my max deadlift is probably ~350
    my max squat is probably in the 275-290 range

strangely, my chins/dips are way more impressive. i've done 8 'alright' form reps with 85 pounds around my waist in the chin, and 8 reps in good form with 125 lbs around my waist in dips. the past few years i've devoted a lot of attention to dips/chins for upper body...i should have spent more time on deads i have worked on squats, but i have very poor levers or something for squat, because i've always kind of sucked in that exercise. still, i do try my hardest to bring it up...

i would like to bench 300, squat 400, and deadlift 500 within, say, 5 years.

edit:

also, i lack some of the equipment necessary for westside style training. i am interested in pursuing more strength-specific work in the 'big three' because i'm annoyed at my lack of strength in these exercises. however, i do not have access to or own: a reverse hyper, a glute-ham raise, or proper boxes for box squats. i could probably go so far as to buy/construct the boxes, but the former two are really expensive, and i don't even think any local gyms have either of these. i prefer the home gym i've built myself anyways, though...
    Last edited by blowdpanis; 06-08-2003 at 04:40 PM.

I use a swiss-ball for GHR's (works great, check out the description in my journal, it's on the 10th or 11th page. I use a Reebok step that just happens to be hanging around the gym for box squats (5 block things per side gets me to right around parallel).
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Originally posted by NateDogg
    I use a swiss-ball for GHR's (works great, check out the description in my journal, it's on the 10th or 11th page. I use a Reebok step that just happens to be hanging around the gym for box squats (5 block things per side gets me to right around parallel).
    sorry for my confusion, but GHR = ?

glute ham raise
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

I wouldn't worry about Westside not working if you don't have the special equipment. The main thing to do is follow the loading principles they outline, ie the speed day and maximal day.

My routine uses a lot of the same core concepts, but I apply them differently so that what I do resembles more of a "normal" powerlifting split, with a squat day, a deadlift day, and two upper body days.

I really do recommend using percentages to train somebody that's not at a pretty high level of strength, because I've found from experience that I lose my groove real fast on the main lifts if I don't do them consistently.

I don't do a straight linear method though, which is where I differ from both "standard" approaches and Westside; I work a lot in the 75-85% range, as well as using more frequent speed and less frequent maximal workouts.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Hey, you and Powerman are chinning freaks!

btw, this might make me stupid, but where are the journals people are referring to on elitefts.com? eg natedogg, whoever...i'd be curious to read these
    Last edited by blowdpanis; 06-08-2003 at 09:54 PM.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Go to the Q and A section. On the left side you can click on their training journals.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL