Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The gut....

The gut....

Ok guys its killin me...people keep tellin me dont loose any more weight dont loose anymore weight but i have to to see my 6 pack...My BF is 12.7% which is ok but i need to loose the gut....seems im loosing everythiung else first like i lost a couple chins.... n i can see my ribs for the first time since i dunno how long im really happy bout it but i got my belly its weird ive seen skinny guys wit guts too n i dun look like them....is it extra skin? If so how i loose that wil running help that tighten it up? i have instense ab work outs so i dont need help there.

Thanks
    FBG

Banned
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say that abs are not made in the kitched. I will say, though, that abs are made in the squat, deadlift, powerclean, and other big movements. If you want to display your abs to the best of your ability, sure you will need a low bodyfat percentage, but a low bodyfat percentage will not by definition unveil your abs to the world--to settle this debate once and for all, take a look at the ****ty, skinnyfat looking physique of a champion marathon runner--enough said. In an interview, Rob Fortney was joking with Ed Coan that he ought to diet down and go for the six pack, Coan, knowing it was a joke, but still somewhat put back, said "I already can see my abs." Coan is not exactly who I think of when I think of ripped--he has, however, probably the thickest abs in the world. The point is, if you want to have an impressive physique, you'll need both lbm, and low bodyfat, you cannot have one without both parts of the equation.

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

Re: The gut....

Originally posted by Footballguy
    Ok guys its killin me...people keep tellin me dont loose any more weight dont loose anymore weight but i have to to see my 6 pack...My BF is 12.7% which is ok but i need to loose the gut....seems im loosing everythiung else first like i lost a couple chins.... n i can see my ribs for the first time since i dunno how long im really happy bout it but i got my belly its weird ive seen skinny guys wit guts too n i dun look like them....is it extra skin? If so how i loose that wil running help that tighten it up? i have instense ab work outs so i dont need help there.

Thanks
    FBG
    I'm kinda going through the same thing. My BF is low but I cannot see the 6 pack. It is like there is just a little layer of skin that is blocking the abs. I do good ab workouts and I eat good as well. I am eating more than usual right now to add mass and weight and my stomach is actually growing a little. I don't really know what else to do though. I do cardio and I lift and I never miss more than a day or two of ethier and that is not often. I do have a few beers most weekends but I don't want to give up my entire life. For now I'm just sticking with what I am doing and hopefully the abs will begin to show.

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

do good ab workouts, do good lower back workouts, do trap workouts (make sure you have good posture)

and lose more weight
    everybody stores fat differently so just cuz one dude can see a perfect 6 pack at 15% doesn't mean you that you should see it at 8% even....so....
    my advice is keep losing weight, get down to 8% at least and then if you dont have abs you know for sure what your problem is!
    (you haven't been doing enough ab workouts!)

Gut's suck. DIE YOU FLAB OF FAT YOU!

::Yells at his stomach::
    Last edited by Calipso; 06-02-2003 at 02:14 AM.

The Truth
    What do you do for ab work?

I like crunches, standing side crunches, and lying leg raises. Make sure form is strict and do them slow.

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    Diet is the most important part of getting the good abs, but it is NOT the only part. You still have to build muscle.

Genetics play a role, too. Some folks have small calves, or small bi's, etc., naturally, so couldn't the same be said for abs?

To build muscle you gotta work that muscle! Abs are no different.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    I do abs three times a week

Day 1: I do Seated Gripless Lever Crunches

Day 2: I do 3 sets of 15 Hanging Leg Lifts

Day 3: I do 5 sets of 20 Medicine Ball Crunches

Is that good?
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Give me one good reason to work them 3 times a week
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Originally posted by Behemoth
    Give me one good reason to work them 3 times a week
    I figured you'd get the same results from 1 day a week unless someone can prove different with pics.

Jeeze, is that all you do? Man! I do abs 5 times a week.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

Am I detecting sarcasm w8?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

i dont consistently do the same ab workouts but i never work them less then 3 days a week....but im eating right n my bf is 12.7% i jusz need to get it bettween 6 & 8 b4 i complain i guess.

Some people do infact do crunches every day of the week. I'd just prefer stressing my ab's out.

Originally posted by Behemoth
    Am I detecting sarcasm w8?
    NO! I do something ab related M-F.

I am shocked that people only do abs once a week! That makes no sense to me! 3 times is reasonable.

I have to do abs a lot. I can build fat up there so fast, it's sick. I took some advice from here and tried to bring it down to 3 times a week... it didn't work for me. I was losing definition.

I take my cue from aerobics instructors. Most of them are SO RIPPED! I think it's becasue they do so much exercising. I mean, they may do 2 or 3 classes per DAY and they always have a good amount of ab work included.

So, I started do SOME ab work each day and it's really helped a lot. M-W-F, I hit it hard while T-Th gets more of a toned-down version...

It seems to work for me.

No, no sarcasm intended... just surprise. I don't understand how anyone can get anywhere by working ANY muscle group once a week.

I have to do abs a lot. I can build fat up there so fast, it's sick. I took some advice from here and tried to bring it down to 3 times a week... it didn't work for me. I was losing definition.
    This makes no sense to me, you cannot spot reduce fat. And no muscle group will suffer from muscular atrophy within one week of a good workout.

I guess if it works for you then why not do it. I just don't understand the craze with working abs so much. That's the kind of things they tell you to do on the pink VHS movies you pick up at wal-mart on the bargain rack for $2.99 that nobody ever gets results from.

Well, I tried it for a 6 week stretch. I'm not second guessing anyone, I'm just saying that it didn't work for ME. When I went back to abs everyday, I got right back on track.

Banned
    W8_4_Me indirectly brings up a good point

there is no one 'right' answer to getting abs

you must approach it like you do everything else in bodybuilding:
    1) try something
    2) evaluate it
    3) change it/modify it as needed
    4) go to step 2, or to step 1 if you add/change something else

Originally posted by W8_4_Me

To build muscle you gotta work that muscle! Abs are no different.
    But you do them 5 days a week?!

What does a normal ab routine look like for you?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I'm with W8_4_Me, abs 3-4 days a week has given me better results than in my workouts where I did them only 1-2 times a week

For me, 3-5x per week is probably ideal. That said, if I did abs only once a week they would still grow, but at a much slower rate.

Also, it's common for your stomach to be the last place for fat to leave.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 06-04-2003 at 04:46 PM.

Originally posted by HomeYield

But you do them 5 days a week?!

What does a normal ab routine look like for you?
    Let me start off by saying that I agree that diet is the most important part of getting that 6 pack. I understand completely that while working out, your abs get a TON of secondary work.

But...

Abs are muscle. Just as you train for your bi's or quads to get bigger, so must you train your abs. I mean, I NEVER hear anyone say, "Well, diet is 75% of my arm workout...".

And, guys who are thinner and leaner have a MUCH easier time than those of us who tend to stay on the heavier side. So, when a skinny dude tells me that he doesn't have to do all that much for his abs... well, I BELIEVE him! And I'm a bit jealous, because I have NEVER known a day like that.

For me, it's not anything overly elaborate... 20-30 minutes of various crunches, leg raises that target abs and obliques. Sometimes at double speed and sometimes regular. Sometimes I add weights to the mix and other times not... a good variance.

Coupling that with diet and the secondary work from weights... x 5...

Like I said, I read in here that I was possibly over-doing it, so I scaled back. Believe me, that was EASY to do. Cutting back on abs? WOO HOOO!

But it didn't do me any good. By the end of my 6 week cycle, I found I was losing definition. The workouts hadn't changed and my diet hadn't changed. Exercise level was the only thing that changed.

And the type of ab routine I prefer is more aerobically oriented so it helps with the fat and addresses strength.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    I train my abs with some good intensity and I couldn't train them more than twice a week, they'd be weak all the time...

And my abs are big, I mean I carry a good share of fat and still I can see the outlines of the first 2 rows, and I call feel them under the skin very easily, so I guess I could have a 6-pack without being with a very low bf.

I doubt you were losing definition. Was probably more like swelling. When you don't train your abs five times a week they don't look pumped all the time. It's like, my bis look a lot bigger and more defined when pumped, but I wouldn't train them five times a week, either.

Just my 2. Yes, abs need work, but they need rest too.
    "And if that doesnt work, bend her over, tear off the stretchpants, and go wild on the little slut. When you're done, drop her like a missed rep. When she's regained her senses, complain that she was making too much noise. She will then realize the error of her ways, and give you her number." - Budiak

"I have a girl that i have ride around with me everywhere, just cuz she's a ditz and amuses me. its great." - Ace Dogg

I naturally lean so I've had too much problem with my abs showing. It was getting them to look good that was tough. They have always sort of peaked through even when I was really lean but they've never come out like they do now.

I was wondering because you say you work them like any other muscle but do you do high reps and lots of sets? I work them like any other small muscle. Heavy weight to failure of 6-8 reps for maybe 6 sets. They've grown pretty big and sometimes I think they overpower my very weak chest but they've really come out.

That's why I was wondering. Have you thought about doing really heavy sets maybe just 2-3 times a week? Maybe that's what you were doing and I misread it. Either way, you know what works for you and if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.