The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Oly Lifting

Oly Lifting

As many of you will know ive switched from bodybuilding to work on my soccer, the staple of my routine is centred around sprinting (being a striker).

Today was my first day of fully incorporating olympic lifts, with the clean and jerk i could only operate between 55kg and 65kg being powerful, if i tried to go heavier i was slow and it was more like a bodybuilding movement.

Shortly after i looked up the tables for oly lifts and a very poor lift was 0.90% of body weight, and i was using 0.7!!!! what can i do, is it becuase im just starting?

Any help would be appreciated.

B-R
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

take your time and get stronger
    Age 23 Height 5'10 weight 210 2 years complete of serious lifting.
    At 5'10" last Jan/02 I was 280 Lbs with a 44 waist.
    Now as of Dec/02 I am 210 with a 34-36 waist. A year complete 70 pounds lost now lets get big .
    Goal Deadlift 500 by summer now..
    02/10/03 405X3 425X1
    02/17/03 435X1
    02/24/03 445X1
    03/03/03 455X1
    03/10/03 455X3 "rack pull" 500X1 "rack pull MISS"
    03/17/03 405X6, "Rack Pulls 505X3, 525X1.... 555X1 Miss"
    04/14/03 465X1 verry difficult
    05/12/03 475X1 Easy!!! 500X1 Miss"real close"
    05/19/03 435X5
    06/16/03 Rack pulls 555X2, 600Xmiss
    07/14/03 500X1 GOAL ACHIEVED!!!!
    10/06/03 500X4 555X1 Miss
    10/13/03 535X1
    11/10/03 Rack pull 500X7
    GOAL for 2004 get back to a low fat% and keep it 8 -10% would be great.
    06/29 rack pull 700X3
    07/6/04 600x1 at 216
    09/6/04 600X1 at 208 Rack pull 720X3
    NEW GOAL BENCH 400 BY FEB 2005 "not sure about this one"

Technique, my friend.

The C & J tends to work really well in the 75-85% range. Don't do more than triples unless its a warmup set, but you can do a lot more working sets with them.

Work on technique for awhile using weight in that range, then occasionally start sneaking in heavier doubles and singles.

When you hit a heavy enough working weight, the bar is going to slow down. THere's no way around that. But as long as the technique is good and the weight's going where you want it, its not a problem.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Sweet cheers,

I'll spend my time plugging away on technique for the first 4-6 weeks. It probably makes sense to put a solid foundation in place.

Im going to try training twice a week, with 2 core exercises and 1/2 supplementry e.g.

Clean & Jerk: 3-5 sets / 3-5 reps

Deads: 3-5/ 3-5

BB-Rows: 2-3 / 6-8

On the other day i will use squats and snatch's + Dips and pull-ups.

Plus my sprinting which will be done once a week on track, twice a week on grass.

On another day there will be one day of lactic training as i call it where i work on more the endurance side of training to increase my anaerobic capacity.

My intensity will not be too high becuase im too heavy at the moment to perform 100% and its only early doors. How does this shape up?

Looks pretty good IMO.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Are you doing any other movements other then the clean and jerk? Power snatch, split snatch, hang snatch, hang clean, jerks, split jerks, push press?

Kc

Nope, i was hoping you would drop in FI. Im totally uneducated in weights for sprinting.

What would you advise?

Well know that olympic lifts arnt going to be a miracle movement but they will help to an extent. Some other olifts id suggest are power snatch, hang clean and powerclean Id also like to mention the slip movements which are great for athletes.

As for performing the movements dont worry about weight, focus on form and bar speed. You can use up to as little as 30% on the bar and still gain power from it. Once your begin to progress better you can start working on triples, doubles and singles.. but dont over do them.

What else are you doing for your specific sport conditioning? Any drills? Foot work training? Ractive training?

Kc
    Last edited by FortifiedIron; 06-09-2003 at 03:46 PM.

At the moment im doing 1 ball work session per week, Im naturally gifted with skills/ control and footwork and 2.5 months out from the season, my fitness components are of primary concern.

When not sprint training, im doing 300m split shuttles x 2 e.g. 10m, 20m, 30m, 40m, 50m rest 2 mins then repeat.

TBH in the past all i used to do for training was a weekly team session which involved ball work and game situation + 4 x 6km runs. Even as a striker! now if i can get the training right i could really tear things up.

The grey areas if so to speak are everything other than the sprinting/ball work, e.g. weights and other fitness areas.