The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A very impressive natural bodybuilder

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

A bit more info ?
    If the guy is from the pre-steroid era then he is a freak.
    If he is from the steroid era I would say he is a good lyier, but that's only because he is bigger than me.
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

Pre-steroid era. Leroy Colbert. FREAK!

Of the driver ilk
    Truly impressive. his lats are just scary!
    "42"

leroy colbert, first man to have 21 inch arms! (or so advertised)
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

Strongman
    Errr...

Comments
    1. Did Steroids (Unless something is really deceiving proportionally in the picture)
    2. Doesn't have 21" Arms (Cold)

Discuss.
    Four-Time World's Strongest Man

Mystic Eric
    http://www.classicbodybuilders.com/b...oycolbert5.jpg

you have to copy and paste the link into your brower.
    Last edited by Mystic Eric; 06-08-2003 at 10:14 PM.

21s? naw...19s, but keeps 'em clean....
    "Don't take life too serious, you'll never get out alive."-Van Wilder

Doesn't look like steroids to me. Looks impressive. I'd say easy 18s.

How can you tell he is natural??

Those are not 21's or 20's.
    Stats
    5'10,185-190lbs, 12-16%bf

Banned
    I am amazed at the confidence with which people can assert "that is not 21" " with no easy means or perspective to gauge size.

nice link, chris

sure is impressive, but Dianabol came in the early 1940s.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

But does he use a shirt when he benches? That is all that is important, apparently.

LOL@galileo!!
    "Don't take life too serious, you'll never get out alive."-Van Wilder

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by Callahan
    I am amazed at the confidence with which people can assert "that is not 21" " with no easy means or perspective to gauge size.

head and arms. Unless he has a big head, those are NOT 21 inch arms. Olivia was one person who actually had 20 inch arms, and his arms were bigger than his head was tall (from crown to chin). As for the steroids angle, there is no one who can build a 21 inch muscular arm without using steroids. Come on people! That is bigger than some pros and they have super genetics AND use steroids. Common sense is all it takes.

Ok, a few things, when d-bol was synthesized and when bodybuilders actually began using it are 2 different things. It is generally accepted by virtually everyone that "knows" bodybuilding that steroid use did not become prevalent until the mid to late 60s. I 100% believe Colbert was clean. Now, I don't think his arms were 21" either, actually he was billed as the first guy with 20" arms. Now, I am not sure I believe they were 20" cold either, but I DO believe they are in excess of 19". I have a very good friend who is clean and his arms are close to 20" cold (not ripped, but in good shape) when he trains. Sergio's arm was over 20", but you have to remember he is in the 5'9"-10" range and that was probably at a weight of ~240 lbs. Bone structure has a lot to do with it. It is not hard for me to believe that the guys who are 270+ in the off-season these days have 20+" arms.

Do that voodoo that he do
    Originally posted by chris mason
    Ok, a few things, when d-bol was synthesized and when bodybuilders actually began using it are 2 different things. It is generally accepted by virtually everyone that "knows" bodybuilding that steroid use did not become prevalent until the mid to late 60s. I 100% believe Colbert was clean. Now, I don't think his arms were 21" either, actually he was billed as the first guy with 20" arms. Now, I am not sure I believe they were 20" cold either, but I DO believe they are in excess of 19". I have a very good friend who is clean and his arms are close to 20" cold (not ripped, but in good shape) when he trains. Sergio's arm was over 20", but you have to remember he is in the 5'9"-10" range and that was probably at a weight of ~240 lbs. Bone structure has a lot to do with it. It is not hard for me to believe that the guys who are 270+ in the off-season these days have 20+" arms.
    All true.

Do you happen to know Colbert's measurements? If he were quite tall (6'4", 6'5", etc) then it would be quite easy for him to tape out with arms in that range and not look as massive as Olivia did in the 5'9" range.

I don't, it is so hard to tell anyone's true arm measurement when you haven't actually measured it yourself.

Wannabebig Member
    Extremeanabolic; There are people who can build 21 inch arms whilst holding reasonable bodyfat. It depends a lot on the size of your frame. I'm one of them by the way.
    If in doubt spit it out.

Cookie or medal?

Give him the medal. I want the cookie.

Its not always how tall the muscle looks since you are measuring the circumference of it. I would definitely say those are over 19" if not over 20".
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by booze hound
    Extremeanabolic; There are people who can build 21 inch arms whilst holding reasonable bodyfat. It depends a lot on the size of your frame. I'm one of them by the way.

Never said there weren't. Please go back and READ the post. Do this BEFORE responding.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 06-11-2003 at 09:13 AM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by chris mason

Not that different Chris. Robert Kennedy was around in those days and met (according to him) a large number of the "greats". He claimed that about 95% of the "old-timers" (men like Grimek, Reeves. Park and Pearl) were on gear.
    As far as Colbert being clean, I don't have personal knowledge (obviously). But if he was, then with all the advances that have been made in science, supplementation and diet since then, why are there so very few "natural" bodybuilders that look like that?
    We have some fine natural bodybuilders on this board, but I don't think anyone here natural or not could compare to Colbert in his prime.
    As for arm size, well when Sergio was measured (by Jones) his arm was just over 20 inches. I agree bone structure has a lot to do with it. IF Colbert was well over the six foot mark, then it is possible though judging from the photograph his arms don't look (in comparision with his head) like 20 inches. Then again he could have a really big head...or long arms.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 06-11-2003 at 09:27 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    I forgot to say natrually. Please can you make some more sweeping genralisations now.
    If in doubt spit it out.

Booze, post a picture.

Extreme, I have never seen the qoute from Kennedy you are speaking of. You have to be careful, for example, Bill Pearl took steroids (self-admittedly) but not until late in his career. Not until the late 60s to early 70s (when he won the Universe at 41).

Grimek is also reported to have experimented with them, but again, not until long after his competitive career was over. They just were not available to these guys back in the 40s, 50s, and very early 60s.