Thread: Close Grip Bench Press on Smith Machine

Banned

Close Grip Bench Press on Smith Machine

wut do u think?

It's not as important to work the stabilizer muscles as it is in Normal flat bench pressing and chest development...

so what do you guys think of close grip bench pressing on smith machine?

i think it might allow you to isolate the triceps a little more than free bar and that's okay since it's a small muscle... and it's safer without a spot as well.

Is there any advantage to doing close grips on the free bar as opposed to doing them on a smith machine?

i did them on a smith machine a few days ago just because there wasn't a free bar around in the gym i was at (small apartment complex gym).

Well if you're going to use a smith for bench, it'd be better to use it for your close grip as opposed to regular grip.

That being said, if you want to Isolate the Tri's, I'd say you're better off doing Skullcrushers or cable press-downs.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

i just try to stay away from the smith for most exercises becuase the set ROM of the smith can sometimes be hell on my shoulders but if it works for you, and feeels comfortable, then give it a try for a sessio and see how it feels
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Is there any advantage of doing them on a Smith machine?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    You don't have to worry about balance in a SM... But I still don't like them cuz it feels unatural to me in a SM.
    w00t

i agree, it is an advantage not to have to worry about balance, but IMO you end up cheating yourself when you take your stabilizer muscles out of the game.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Banned
    Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    i agree, it is an advantage not to have to worry about balance, but IMO you end up cheating yourself when you take your stabilizer muscles out of the game.
    but will stabilizers make that much of a difference in a small muscle group like triceps?

i mean for back, chest, shoulders.. i can understand that stabilization is very important...

but how important is it for small groups like arms?

The Tuna Tempter
    Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    Is there any advantage of doing them on a Smith machine?
    :withstupi

Personally I do them with a normal barbell. But that's probably because I'm biased towards free weights. I see no advantage doing any movement in a machine, except for calve raises where you don't have to worry about balance in a machine.
    Life's too short to be small

i just personally dont like them. and i still havent found an exercise that i can comfortably do in them (other then calf raises and shrugs)

How is not worrying about balance a benefit?

(And if balance is an issue on a CGBP, you have some pretty severe weaknesses that need to be addressed. Avoiding the problem by working around it isn't going ot help)
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.