The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Just to make a small point--

The levels of hGH you'll experience by avoiding insulin are so small that they won't make a difference. Circulating hGH doesn't have very much effect on the body except *possibly* during certain circumstances, such as right after a workout. As far as its fat burning effects on a daily basis, don't put too much faith in that.

You're better off eating more meals.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Ok I didnt even bother to read everything.

Frequent high protein meals 8 times a day for me(and anyone) is vastly superior in creating and mentaining muscle mass and keeping your metabolsim burning fast.

Originally posted by Blackalpha
    And I can sit back and laugh while seeing you spending your money on protein supps while I keep growing,not fattening.. :evillaugh :evillaugh
    ROFL.
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    dayÖonly then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

Originally posted by Avatar

ROFL.
    ROFLMAO

Growth Hormone concentration in the blood can be increased by fasting (Source: J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1988 Mar; 66(3): 489-494)

Yes it can but to what extent? Enough so that it overrides the catobolic state the body has been pushed in? I mean as far as muscle being the aim of a individual I don't think that would be the best approach?
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

3:16
    the warriors diet is not the way to go.

You can only absorb so much food in one sitting, I am not on about 40 grams protien is your max level of intake. but the more macros you eat in one sitting the less is absorbed for metabolism. you can not consume 5,000 cals in one meal and expect to have the same % of cals available for metabolism as if you broke that meal down into 5 portions.
    your insulin levels will also drop therefore allowing more mobilization of alinine to be convert to glucose, while glutamine serves as energy source for the intestines and kidneys.

Growth Hormone concentration in the blood can be increased by fasting (Source: J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1988 Mar; 66(3): 489-494)
    That doesn't matter if the hGH concentration doesn't do anything. Which it doesn't.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by Maki Riddington
    Yes it can but to what extent? Enough so that it overrides the catobolic state the body has been pushed in? I mean as far as muscle being the aim of a individual I don't think that would be the best approach?
    It's expectable to notice an increase in cortisol levels,but not such a big one to worry about.
    Again,that's why glutamine may help some more.
    The fact is that this diet gives you the opportunity to choose among a bigger variety of food choices and you can use it as a way to enjoy some foods you have been missing and in big portions,if you can't manipulate it so that it could be your diet of choice in your road to get rid of the unwanted bodyfat.
    I started it while having in my mind the first one approach but I found that it can work wonders for the second one too.

black aphla wrote"The fact is that this diet gives you the opportunity to choose among a bigger variety of food choices and you can use it as a way to enjoy some foods you have been missing "

How does eating all your food in one meal give you a bigger varitey of food than some one who lots of small meals?
    i eat 5-9 meals a day and have plenty of variety in my diet. its just that most poeple choose to eat the same meal all the time you do not have to as i do not.

Variety:Pizzas,hamburgers etc stuff that you can't include in an ordinary diet.
    I don't like the variety: oatmeal/potato/chicken breast/brown rice etc... I'm bored of it..
    Last edited by Wizard; 08-17-2001 at 05:06 PM.

It's expectable to notice an increase in cortisol levels,but not such a big one to worry about.
    Again,that's why glutamine may help some more.
    The hGH levels won't be nearly high enough to override the cortisol.

How will glutamine help if its not being consumed with the other essential aminos? The body can't use aminos unless all of them are present in the bloodstream.

Wannabebig Member
    i thought that the body could only digest a certain amount of calories at one time

cack..are you saying thats not true?
    Last edited by benchmaniac2; 08-17-2001 at 05:17 PM.

Glutamine does not have any hard evidence supporting it's role in promoting growth hormone.

Post some and I will take a look at them.

I never said it wouldn't work, what I said was that it probally isn't the most effective method.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

benchmaniac,

The body can only store a certain number of each macronutrient per sitting. I know what you meant though.

I still feel more meals is better, because of more stable energy levels, lower cravings, less cortisol release, etc

The more meals speed your metabolism is because you can eat more, fuck if I can eat 1500 cals in one sitting of good food.

But suffice to say that all of your arguements are flawed...perhaps I'll go through it all later.
    Last edited by Cackerot69; 08-17-2001 at 09:21 PM.

Originally posted by Cackerot69
    But suffice to say that all of your arguements are flawed...perhaps I'll go through it all later.

*** Any arguement put forth pertaining to Fitness is flawed.
    Therefore your statement is flawed.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Angry drunken asians are flawed.

"though not having a total max for amount of eg protien can be absorbed in one sitting, the more protein you eat the less % is absorbed therefore eating smaller meals will have a greater thermic effect than eating 3 larger meals. due to high % being absorbed. the human body can not keep absorbing food indefiently otherwise it would get fat over a week. which does not happen. it takes to get fat."

All protein is absorbed no matter what if it stays in your body. Thus that is incorrect. Just to back myself up on more meals not increasing metabolism....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...om_uid=9155494

"it make to tkae longer to digest but after 3-4 hours you start post starvation period when you body switches off its fisrt anabolic stages and start to go catabolic as to preserve life as it does not know when it next meal is. so when this happens insulin levels decrease therfore the body is not going to increase amino acid uptake into the muscles as the last thing it wants to do if its not ging to get anyfood for a while is increase its metabolic rate. also it will increase the amount of fat storage enzymes as fat is a good source of fuel storage, better than muscle so when you next eat more is likley to be stored as fat than muscle(if ewating enough cals) if not eating enough cals than you are not going to be gaining muscle as i said above muscle is not good for starvation."

What do you mean it doesn't know when it's next meal is? If you always eat at the same time then it will "know" when it's next meal would be. Insulin may be anabolic, but it also increases fat storage more than anything. The key is to know whento spike insulin, such a time is post workout. So, you would have one of your 2 meals post workout, or even just one meal for the whole day and have it post workout.

"as i said above it will go into starvation mode as it does not know when its next meal is. and if your eating enough cals than that excess prtoein can be converted to fat as well."

OMG enough with this "excess protein is converted to fat" bullshit! Excess protein is converted to carbs via gluconeogensis! Only when you overeat carbs AND protein AND have a caliorie surplus AND meet repair requirements does protein get stored as fat. And as I stated above your "starvation mode" thing is incorrect.

"well remeber insulin sensitivity. smaller meals help increase senivity so you need less insulin to get the same amount of amino acids uptaken by the muscle thereofre. this is why steriods are effective as they alter insulin sensitvity allowing more amino acids to be uptaken with lower insulin levels."

I don't see how more meals with the same amount and type of carb increases insulin sensitivity. Some things that do are weight training, aerobics, omerga 3's, ALA, chronium, etc...and things we often take to help fat loss like ECA and ketogenic diets can decrease insulin sensitivity, so personally, I don't think it's such a big deal.

"if you do not eat enough then you will not gain muscle either. and above the context you were writing is was in regards to eating enough cals for anabolism. so the harm will be doen as your body will be in catabolic mode thereore loose muscles."

If you eat enough for anabolism then you will grow, regardless of the amount of meals. The digestion time difference is huge, you will still have amino's, glucose and EFA's circulating through your blood and getting used for a loooong time with larger meals.

"less meals lower metabolic rate, insulin production not in its best gear for gianing muslce, also for using stored fat. so to either increase fat buring if dieting or muscle gain if eating excess cals i would lots of small meals."

Nope, as explained above.

"But isn't insulin anabolic? So it would be better to keep insulin levels constant as much as possible to facilitate the building of muscle?

And if you are eating complex carbs, you are not "keep[ing] the spike high", you are maintaining a reasonable level of insulin throughout the day, avoiding spikes and troughs as much as possible.

Also, after eating a large meal and getting a spike, your body will overcompensate and you will "crash". This is the tired feeling you get after an overly large, carb loaded meal."

Insulin is anabolic, but just as much so fat promoting. I agree about the spikes fooking with energy levels, but due to hGH release and adrenaline/norepinepherin release this may or may not be a problem, personally I think it is a problem...thus why I recommend frequent meals.

"You are less likely to overstuff glycogen stores by taking in gradual amounts, letting it deplete a bit with some activity... and taking in a bit more."

Nah.

"I would stick with eating frequent meals, it allows for a greater thermogenic effect as well as increase in your Resting Metabolic Rate."

Bollox.

"the warriors diet is not the way to go.

You can only absorb so much food in one sitting, I am not on about 40 grams protien is your max level of intake. but the more macros you eat in one sitting the less is absorbed for metabolism. you can not consume 5,000 cals in one meal and expect to have the same % of cals available for metabolism as if you broke that meal down into 5 portions.
    your insulin levels will also drop therefore allowing more mobilization of alinine to be convert to glucose, while glutamine serves as energy source for the intestines and kidneys."

This would all be true IF you didn;'t eat enough...but if you do, then this is all bollox.

"i thought that the body could only digest a certain amount of calories at one time

cack..are you saying thats not true?"

THE BODY DIGESTS ANYTHING YOU PUT INTO IT!!!!

A lot of you guys who frown upon this are people who used to eat like this and were in shit shape. During this time you also probably ate shit food, didn;t train or trained incorrectly, etc...usually an increase in meal frequency corresponds with an increase in healthy lifestyle, which is why it works so well.

I am NOT saying to just start eating 1-2 meals per day, I'm just questioning some of the reasons behind it, and whether or not it's necessary or even better than more meals.

Another thing to consider that a lot of us have been doing this eating every 3 hours thing for a while, and our body basically expects food at the time, so we have to keep doing it.

BTW, you might wanna look up "theory" in the dictionary.

And yes, I posted this primarily to start up a big arguement...cuz I was bored.....but also just to make some of you guys question what you preach, and see if you could back it up with anything...

:evillaugh
    Last edited by Cackerot69; 08-18-2001 at 08:14 AM.

Anavar eating mofo
    I posted this primarily to start up a big arguement
    Mission accomplished. I still think its stupid, and "lazy" to eat all you caories and macros in 1 to 2 meals. Basically if you believe that it takes the "right" nutrients to build muscle, lets say for example oats as prime carbohydrate choice, you would have to eat alot of oats in one sitting to get your carbohydrates in for that day. Eating 1 cup in the morning makes me feel as if I'm going to explode. As the great ARNOLD put it, "Eat more frequent, high protein meals to avoid expanding the stomach." I think I'll take Arnolds approach.

i still say that eating small meals is better, but even if cack is write macro which he is not there are micronutrients to be consirderd as well. and the larger a meal the smaller % of amount of the micornutreitns will be absorbed. also different micro nutrients will compete with each other. the more there is to compete the less of some will be abosrbed. plus natural chemical like phytates will also hinder absorption of certain micronutrients where if you spread the meals out, you can have meals low in phytates to get round this problem. while if eating less meals you are going to be consuming lots of phytates all in one go otherwise you will have constipation as the phytates come with the fibre.
    So before writing all this about macronutrients they do not do shi* if your you do not eat adequate micronutrients.
    which smaller meals will benifit. i know about vit and mineral tablets but there are many phyto chemicals etc in food that are not available in tablets which have health benefits.

Originally posted by Proteen
    "Eat more frequent, high protein meals to avoid expanding the stomach
    Bollox

High protein meals cause bloating.Who can doubt it?

Originally posted by Cackerot 69

even just one meal for the whole day and have it post workout.
    That's when I eat the huge meal.

Originally posted by Yaz

"You are less likely to overstuff glycogen stores by taking in gradual amounts, letting it deplete a bit with some activity... and taking in a bit more."
    NO WAY tuttut
    It's the same.

Anavar eating mofo
    Originally posted by BlackAlpha

I take other peoples opinions and regard them as trash.

It's your opinion but you can't quote things that I haven't said.
    If you were personally offended by my post you could express it with a different way.
    But I ask you to let me express my own opinions.
    Thank you.

If you're going to take Arnold's approach you might as well go all out, drugs, high volume routines, etc...if what he did is superior.

body where the hell you pulling this shit from? Phytochemicals are in any plant food, be it oats, bread, cow turds, whatever....

Proteen, about it being almost impossible to eat all your cals and macro's from clean food sources in one meal is another reason I think more meals is better. Some people have a hard time eating frequently and basically force themselves to do it, which, IMO, isn't necessary.