The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Benefits of frequent feedings...

OK, it is often said that more meals are superior to less when it comes to dieting.

Some of the arguements are that frequent feedings keep the metabolism high throughout the day. But, let's look at this closer. Each macronutrient consumed requires some number of calories to digest, and this number doesn't change. So, say you eat 3000 cals in 6 meals, each meal = 500 cals. So, the whatever amount of cals needed to digest that meal would be burned. What if you ate 3000 cals in 2 meals? That's 1500 cals per meal, so the body would have to burn however many cals it takes to digest that meal. The metabolic rate is not changed.

Another arguement is that frequent feedings are required to keep amino acids available at all times. But, if you eat, for example, 30g of protein it will take about 2-3 hours to digest (depending on the protein source). But, if you were to eat 100g, it would take much longer to digest, for the sake of arguement let's say 6-8 hours (although it's prolly more). So, regardless amino acids are in the blood stream the same amount of time.

Another arguement is that the body will go into "starvation mode" if you don't frequently eat. But, if you are eating enough calories to maintain your weight then why would the body think it's starving? Remember, you still have the same amount of nutrients in the body between feedings, metabolic reaction is equal, etc...so that arguement is flawed.

OK so you like eating often, why not? Well, eating carbs often keeps insulin high. You may be thinking, "but insulin release will be the same". Perhaps, but insulin is release as a "spike", meaning it rises and falls quite rapidly. So, while a larger meal would have a higher spike it would return to normal before the next feeding. With frequent meals the spike may be lower, but since you are eating more often you keep the spike high, not letting it return to normal. High insulin = less ability to burn fat and higher potential for fat storage.

You may also be thinking that because the body can only absorb so much food at one time you will store fat with big meals. True, but if you don't eat often this newly stored fat will just be metabolized and used as energy later on. No harm done.

Less meals also means more hGH, which is a fat burning hormone...better yet.

I really don't see the benefits....

(Note that I choose to eat frequent meals for unrelated reasons)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Anavar eating mofo
    Eating more is fun! Take that Cack!

Anavar eating mofo
    Oh yeah,:

But, if you were to eat 100g, it would take much longer to digest, for the sake of arguement let's say 6-8 hours (although it's prolly more).
    Find me a source that the average joe can use 100 grams of protein in one sitting to effectively repair muscle. I seriously think eating frequently gives you one benefit and that is to keep your amino acid pool full at all times.

Not all of it will repair muscle, but neither will all 30 you eat every 3 hours.

The total amounts are the same, remember.

Cackerot... the body can only use so much of a particular nutrient at one time. This has been proven. You are more likely to utilize more of the aminos and whatnot in your proteins by allowing your body to digest and use a little bit at a time for it's purpose.

As I understand, stored fat cannot be used to repair muscle.

This where you're wrong.

Protein not used for repair isn't stored as fat, it's converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis and used as energy. Only if you are eating too much can protein be stored as fat. So, like I said, caloerie levels are the same, thus net fat gain is equal.

100g of protein is 100g of protein and is used as 100g of protein regardless if it's one sitting or 3.

Re: Benefits of frequent feedings...

Some of the arguements are that frequent feedings keep the metabolism high throughout the day. But, let's look at this closer. Each macronutrient consumed requires some number of calories to digest, and this number doesn't change. So, say you eat 3000 cals in 6 meals, each meal = 500 cals. So, the whatever amount of cals needed to digest that meal would be burned. What if you ate 3000 cals in 2 meals? That's 1500 cals per meal, so the body would have to burn however many cals it takes to digest that meal. The metabolic rate is not changed.

**I agree.

Another arguement is that frequent feedings are required to keep amino acids available at all times. But, if you eat, for example, 30g of protein it will take about 2-3 hours to digest (depending on the protein source). But, if you were to eat 100g, it would take much longer to digest, for the sake of arguement let's say 6-8 hours (although it's prolly more). So, regardless amino acids are in the blood stream the same amount of time.

**Thats very debatable.

Another arguement is that the body will go into "starvation mode" if you don't frequently eat. But, if you are eating enough calories to maintain your weight then why would the body think it's starving? Remember, you still have the same amount of nutrients in the body between feedings, metabolic reaction is equal, etc...so that arguement is flawed.

**maybe.

OK so you like eating often, why not? Well, eating carbs often keeps insulin high. You may be thinking, "but insulin release will be the same". Perhaps, but insulin is release as a "spike", meaning it rises and falls quite rapidly. So, while a larger meal would have a higher spike it would return to normal before the next feeding. With frequent meals the spike may be lower, but since you are eating more often you keep the spike high, not letting it return to normal. High insulin = less ability to burn fat and higher potential for fat storage.

**I believe the spike will return to normal within 3 hours. Because its not that big to begin with.

You may also be thinking that because the body can only absorb so much food at one time you will store fat with big meals. True, but if you don't eat often this newly stored fat will just be metabolized and used as energy later on. No harm done.

**I disagree. How do you know all that stored fat will be used as energy later on? Excess carbs --> fat. No good.

Less meals also means more hGH, which is a fat burning hormone...better yet.

**Gotta agree with that. But if the other statements are incorrect then it would be stupid to not eat frequent for just hGH production.

I'll stick with what every other successful body builder has done for years and years. And thats eat frequently.
    Thx info.
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    day…only then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

I'm not saying that it;'s bad, just not necessary to eat every 2-3 hours. And everything I said is factual

MACHINE
    Do you believe in "carb sensitivity" cack, as it relates to insulin production?
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

3:16
    "Some of the arguements are that frequent feedings keep the metabolism high throughout the day. But, let's look at this closer. Each macronutrient consumed requires some number of calories to digest, and this number doesn't change. So, say you eat 3000 cals in 6 meals, each meal = 500 cals. So, the whatever amount of cals needed to digest that meal would be burned. What if you ate 3000 cals in 2 meals? That's 1500 cals per meal, so the body would have to burn however many cals it takes to digest that meal. The metabolic rate is not changed. "

though not having a total max for amount of eg protien can be absorbed in one sitting, the more protein you eat the less % is absorbed therefore eating smaller meals will have a greater thermic effect than eating 3 larger meals. due to high % being absorbed. the human body can not keep absorbing food indefiently otherwise it would get fat over a week. which does not happen. it takes to get fat.

"Another arguement is that frequent feedings are required to keep amino acids available at all times. But, if you eat, for example, 30g of protein it will take about 2-3 hours to digest (depending on the protein source). But, if you were to eat 100g, it would take much longer to digest, for the sake of arguement let's say 6-8 hours (although it's prolly more). So, regardless amino acids are in the blood stream the same amount of time. "

it make to tkae longer to digest but after 3-4 hours you start post starvation period when you body switches off its fisrt anabolic stages and start to go catabolic as to preserve life as it does not know when it next meal is. so when this happens insulin levels decrease therfore the body is not going to increase amino acid uptake into the muscles as the last thing it wants to do if its not ging to get anyfood for a while is increase its metabolic rate. also it will increase the amount of fat storage enzymes as fat is a good source of fuel storage, better than muscle so when you next eat more is likley to be stored as fat than muscle(if ewating enough cals) if not eating enough cals than you are not going to be gaining muscle as i said above muscle is not good for starvation.

"Another arguement is that the body will go into "starvation mode" if you don't frequently eat. But, if you are eating enough calories to maintain your weight then why would the body think it's starving? Remember, you still have the same amount of nutrients in the body between feedings, metabolic reaction is equal, etc...so that arguement is flawed. "

as i said above it will go into starvation mode as it does not know when its next meal is. and if your eating enough cals than that excess prtoein can be converted to fat as well.

"OK so you like eating often, why not? Well, eating carbs often keeps insulin high. You may be thinking, "but insulin release will be the same". Perhaps, but insulin is release as a "spike", meaning it rises and falls quite rapidly. So, while a larger meal would have a higher spike it would return to normal before the next feeding. With frequent meals the spike may be lower, but since you are eating more often you keep the spike high, not letting it return to normal. High insulin = less ability to burn fat and higher potential for fat storage. "

well remeber insulin sensitivity. smaller meals help increase senivity so you need less insulin to get the same amount of amino acids uptaken by the muscle thereofre. this is why steriods are effective as they alter insulin sensitvity allowing more amino acids to be uptaken with lower insulin levels.

"You may also be thinking that because the body can only absorb so much food at one time you will store fat with big meals. True, but if you don't eat often this newly stored fat will just be metabolized and used as energy later on. No harm done. "

if you do not eat enough then you will not gain muscle either. and above the context you were writing is was in regards to eating enough cals for anabolism. so the harm will be doen as your body will be in catabolic mode thereore loose muscles.

"Less meals also means more hGH, which is a fat burning hormone...better yet.

I really don't see the benefits.... "

less meals lower metabolic rate, insulin production not in its best gear for gianing muslce, also for using stored fat. so to either increase fat buring if dieting or muscle gain if eating excess cals i would lots of small meals.

'Note that I choose to eat frequent meals for unrelated reasons"

i agree with this statement as i get to paid to eat and its my hobby.

cack you will have to get your biochemistry bookd read a bit more throughly. i would use better temionlogy but i had to do this off the top of my head from writing this 3 1/2 years ago.

after the psot starvation takes smaples and compare ketone bodies, and other cheicla in the blood related to catabolims they start to go up.

Wannabebig Member

Re: Benefits of frequent feedings...

Originally posted by Cackerot69
    But isn't insulin anabolic? So it would be better to keep insulin levels constant as much as possible to facilitate the building of muscle?

And if you are eating complex carbs, you are not "keep[ing] the spike high", you are maintaining a reasonable level of insulin throughout the day, avoiding spikes and troughs as much as possible.

Also, after eating a large meal and getting a spike, your body will overcompensate and you will "crash". This is the tired feeling you get after an overly large, carb loaded meal.

(On a more pedantic, semantic point, it is not possible to "keep the spike high" anyway. If it is kept high, it is not a spike, but a plateau or new base level.)

Hey! WTF!
    Cackerot came up with one of the best threads.That's what I was thinking of,for the last week.
    And so,I gave it a try.
    It works wonders.Even with only one meal,late at night.
    Wtf do you mean that the body can't asborb more than X amount of macros each time?
    If your glycogen stores are depleted,then where do yo think the carbs will go?
    Then,the use of protein is better because -I 'm sure for it- even with a lower amount of protein but for only one time per day,you do a -so called- protein cycling method,where your body will make a better proteinosynthesis as it was starving.(of protein)
    Throw in there 10grams of glutamine in the morning and you have a superior GH boost.(because it's on an empty stomach)
    While having all the day low blood sugar levels,you can't care too much about being in a catabolic state.
    You can take some enzymes to avoid the bloat if you experience it.
    There are many other facts that prove that 5-6 meals is not the way to go....
    If you are open-minded you can try it and then talk to me about whether it works or not.

i finally posed a good question im so proud
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

You are less likely to overstuff glycogen stores by taking in gradual amounts, letting it deplete a bit with some activity... and taking in a bit more.

Originally posted by Blackalpha

If you are open-minded you can try it and then talk to me about whether it works or not.
    LMAO, someone was actually silly enough to try it. Well before you decide if its the new holy grail or not, you should be on it for at least 4 weeks. While you do so, the rest of us can sit back and laugh.:evillaugh
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    day…only then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

And I can sit back and laugh while seeing you spending your money on protein supps while I keep growing,not fattening.. :evillaugh :evillaugh

blackalpha....i'm confused...why did you do this?

btwn the lack of energy from low blood sugar, and the metabolism slowdown that occurs to keep you motoring (barely) through the day, it isn't a good plan.

but then again, I ate that way for 13 years.....and it sucked. Eating on a more regular basis now, has definitely made a great impact on my energy levels, and muscle tone among other things....
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

I did it beacuse I always want to explore new things,and I liked it because it worked for me.No lack of energy.
    Again,as Cackerot said,
    "Another arguement is that frequent feedings are required to keep amino acids available at all times. But, if you eat, for example, 30g of protein it will take about 2-3 hours to digest (depending on the protein source). But, if you were to eat 100g, it would take much longer to digest, for the sake of arguement let's say 6-8 hours (although it's prolly more). So, regardless amino acids are in the blood stream the same amount of time.

you won't have a metabolic shutdown.You still burn calories to digest the food you ate whether you ate ex. 10 or 100 grams of protein.
    And of course,you can still have a metabolic shutdown if you eat 100 meals per day but carb-free.The abscence of carbs cause this shutdown and not the meals frequency.A diet that doesn't affect t3 levels has all the chances to be successful if of course you eat above maintenance levels if you want to cut up or over maint. levels if you want to bulk up.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I'd love to see what would happen to Ronnie Coleman's physique if he just started eating one meal a day at night.

This is bollox.

BTW, just found this quote you made over in Sinep's journal a week or two ago, Cack.

Mullet-boy said:
    Metabolism boosting techniques are simple...

Eat frequent, smaller meals - This means the body has to digest food more often, which expends calories. Less food to digest means more will be utilized by the body, too.
    Now, this totally contradicts what you said on the start of this thread. Explain.
    Last edited by Gyno Rhino; 08-17-2001 at 09:23 AM.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
    I'd love to see what would happen to Ronnie Coleman's physique if he just started eating one meal a day at night.

This is bollox.
    :evillaugh
    That's funny...
    If you want to talk about
    "roid machines" then it's ok.

Then,the power of frequent, smaller meals on metabolism's enhancement is bollox next to the power of GH to burn fat.

I would stick with eating frequent meals, it allows for a greater thermogenic effect as well as increase in your Resting Metabolic Rate.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Gyno,

To start a disagreement. DUH.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    GH, AS, Insulin, etc.. Ain't gonna do nothing unless you eat.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!