Page 1 of 196 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruteman's journal

Bruteman's journal

I wasn't going to keep an online journal since I already keep one in a notebook. But I workout at home now so thought it would help keep me motivated to get better if you guys could yell at me once in a while about my wussy weights. Not exactly the same as going to a gym, but it'll have to do.

So here's todays workout:

Back, Delts and forearms

Pull up bwx10, bwx6+2(Rest/Pause)
    Cable Row 125x10, 125x6+2
    Dead Lift 140x10, 170x8

Clean&Press 135x8, 135x8
    Sit Side Laterals 15x12, 15x12
    Bent Cable Laterals 5x15, 5x15

False Reverse Grip Curls SS/w Stand Wrist Curl 55x15/15, 55x12+2/15

Some FYI about my workouts. Always start with 5min. warmup and end with 4sets of 30 for abbs. I actually time my rest between sets b/c it's one of the variables I change. It's 90sec right now. One last thing I always flex and stretch the muscle after each set.

Oh a new journal that hasn't been ed yet!

What are your goals? You bulking, cutting or what?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

good luck with the journal bro
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

I'm just trying to keep my size and get stronger. I would "bulk", but that would require me to eat more and buy more supplements and I can't afford that right now. I would "cut" since it's summer, but usually save that for when I'm getting ready for a fight. So I'm really kinda stuck in limbo! Man it sucks!

What I'm trying to keep:

Weight: 205 I'm 5'11"
    Bench: 305
    Squat: 295
    Dead: 300
    Fight Record: 0-3 in toughman type contests. Pathetic, huh! I know, I keep trying though because it's so damn fun, even if I'm getting my ass beat!
    My PR numbers are about 4yrs old. I lift at home now so I'm a little hesitant to maxout alone.

Just wanted to keep links to all my pics some place, so I wouldn't have to go hunting for them later.

August 8, 2003 @206lbs
    front dbl, back dbl, back lat, wheelz, calves, most musc

October 18, 2003 @199lbs
    front dbl, front lat, back dbl, back lat, wheelz, calves

March 20, 2004 @211lbs
    back dbl, front dbl

May 7, 2004 @217lbs
    front dbl, front lat, back dbl, back lat, calves, wheelz, most musc

October 15, 2004 @212lbs
    back dbl, back lat, calves, front dbl, wheelz, most musc

March 30, 2005 @201
    front dbl, back dbl, back lat, most musc, wheelz, calves

August 25, 2005 @199
    front dbl, back dbl, back lat, side chest

May 11, 2007 @211
    front dbl, back dbl, back lat, side chest

June 9, 2008 @~196
    front dbl, back dbl, back lat, side chest, wheels
    Last edited by Bruteman; 06-11-2008 at 12:22 PM.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Did 12 rounds of boxing drills. The last 2 were really weak though, might as well of just stood still and breathed heavy! I'm getting over a cold though, yeah that's a good excuse!
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

are you planning on entering in any other toughman contests anytime soon?
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

I think the next one is in November. There was a little local one in September I did last year, but don't know if they are having it again.
    My Journal

Leg day:

Squat 205x10, 220x8
    BB Lunge 145x10, 145x10
    Leg Ext 155x15, 155x11+2

Leg Curl 105x10, 105x10
    Cable Kickback 30x15, 30x15

Stand Calves 270x10, 270x10
    Donkey Calf 50x12, 50x12

Felt good today! Being layed-off and not having to stand around at work all day definitly leaves you with more energy to work out!

One note to any one who actually looks at my journal. When I say "calves" it means both together, "calf" means 1 leg at a time.
    My Journal

Hey welcome to journal land. Youre from Salem? THE Salem? Thats like 30mins from me here on the south side of Ytown. In fact I went golfing right by there yesterday. We went in Columbiana and almost got lost in Salem.

But it could be some other Salem. Anyhow good luck. What gym do you goto?
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

Yes I'm from THE Salem. Actually I was going to Dowtown Sports Center in Ytown for a while to learn to box. I ran out of cash so I had to quit going for now. As far as lifting I lift at home. Thanks for the welcome!
    My Journal

Decided to take some time off. Haven't really wanted to lift for a while now. I've got some nagging injuries that need time to heel anyways. Hopefully after a week or two I'll get the itch to lift again.
    My Journal

Back, Delts& Forearms:

Pullup: BWx8, BWx6+2
    Bent Rows: 135x8, 135x8
    Dead Lift: 220x8, 220x8

Military: 115x8, 115x8
    Side Laterals: 20x10, 20x6+2
    Bent Cable Lateral: 10x10, 10x10
    -Please don't laugh too hard at my shoulder strength.

False Reverse Grip Curl SS/w Stand Wrist Curl 65x10/10, 65x10/10

It's amazing what taking a week off does for you! I was actually looking forward to working out! Decided to drop my reps down to the 6-8 area for most lifts and quit flexing between sets(all it did was make me more tired for the next set).

I'm also getting excited because a boxing gym is opening up only a mile from my house. Now I can walk instead of driving for 45min to learn how to box. Nothing better than getting beat up in your back yard!
    My Journal

8 rounds of drills. Amazingly I felt good. Usually I'm sucking wind after the 4th round after a week off.
    My Journal

Originally posted by Bruteman
    I'm also getting excited because a boxing gym is opening up only a mile from my house. Now I can walk instead of driving for 45min to learn how to box. Nothing better than getting beat up in your back yard!
    LOL, there is a muay thai place really close to me that I started going to. I couldn't imagine driving 45mins after a tough night there. I'd still drive because after going a couple rounds you might not feel like the long walk back home.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Driving home was kinda tough sometimes. I'm sure I scared my share of pedestrians on the way home a couple times. I have to walk now so I can rub it in my kids face later. You know, I had to walk uphill in 3feet of snow both ways.
    My Journal

Legs:

Squats: 220x8, 220x8
    Lunge: 155x8, 155x8
    Leg Ext: 180x8, 180x8

Leg Curl: 115x8, 115x8
    Standing 1 Leg Curl: 25x8, 35x8 First time trying these. I like them better than cable kickbacks.

Stand Calves: 270x10, 270x10
    Donkey Calf: 55x10, 55x10

Felt ok. My hammys were a little tight from the deads on Mon., but I'm usually sore a little longer when starting back up. It shouldn't be a problem from now on.
    My Journal

8 rounds of drills. Felt good, seem to have more pop in my punches today.

The name is fitting, another pugilist - good luck with it and your workouts!

Thanks CoCoa! It was my nickname in college. No one calls me that anymore it just makes for a good ring name.

Chest, Tris& Bis:

Bench: 220x8, 220x6+2
    Dum Bench: 70x8, 70x8
    Peck Deck: 75x8, 75x8

Pressdowns: 100x4, 80x8 These hurt my elbow, might try the rope handle next time.
    Lying 1 Arm Ext: 25x8, 25x8

Bar Curl: 85x8, 85x8
    Spider Curls: 30x5, 25x6+2

Weight: 203

Felt real good! Dropping down to the 6-8 rep range lets you move a lot more weight. I LIKE IT!

My Dumbells only go up to a pair of 75's. Anyone out there got suggestions on what to do instead of db presses? Before you answer I'll let you know that next week I do incline press, db inc press and inc flies. I alternate between the two workouts.
    My Journal

8 rounds of drills. My arms and chest are sore from yesterday. That makes boxing extra fun!
    My Journal

Back, Delts& Forearms:

Pulldowns: 160x8, 160x4+2 This was a little heavy, couldn't bring bar all the way down without some "english". I'll go a little lighter next time.
    Cable Rows: 135x8, 135x8
    Power Cleans: 140x8, 140x8

Sit Dum Press: 50x8, 50x8
    Upright Row: 90x8, 90x8
    Seated Bent Laterals: 25x10, 25x10

-Tried to do forearms but my right wrist hurt so I didn't. I was happy with my shoulder workout. Haven't done DB presses or upright rows for a while. Last time I did them I was stuck at the weight I started with now. It's nice to see signs like that that they are getting stronger.

12 rounds of drills. Started to fade at the end from the extra rounds, but still felt good.
    My Journal

How long do those sessions take? Or should I ask do those drills take about a couple of hours or so?
    You ought to check out Bam Bam, he is the Count Crakula and there are a couple of others who are into the fight game my man...
    Last edited by Coke; 07-01-2003 at 11:53 AM.

They only take about 48min. I just start the timer and go from one thing to the next. I don't take any breaks. So really it's just a 12roung fight, I just work on something different each round.
    I'm always looking threw Bam Bam's journal for ideas. Ijust don't post a lot. Heck, I look threw a lot of journals and threads I never post much. So be careful what you post cause I'm always there lurking in the shadows ready to pounce!
    My Journal

Legs:

BB Hack Squat: 220x8, 220x8
    Front Squat: 115x8, 115x8
    1 Leg Ext: 85x8, 85x8

SLDL: 205x8, 205x8
    1 Leg Curl: 55x8, 55x3+2

Donkey Calves: 225x10, 225x10
    Stand Calf: 25x10, 25x10

-felt good. Haven't done front squats or 1leg ext for a while so didn't know where to start. This was way to light. Tried some weighted abb stuff today, liked the whey it felt but I'm worried my waist will get to thick from doing it. I don't know maybe I'll give it a try for a while and see.