The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

eating before bed

I heard milk is good due to it's slow digestive properties.
    I usually eat an hour before bed. Now here's my question. What if I sleep late? Am I doing *more* harm ? I can't help but sleep late somedays and I know sleep is crucial in muscle recovery...as well as proper nourishment of the muscles.
    So whats a guy to do?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Milk is one of the best items you could consume before going to sleep. I have the same problem of needing sleep and also needing to wake up a few hours earlier to fit in an extra meal or two. This is a tough question with too many variables to give an exact answer, but as a general guideline, I would get on a sleep schedule where you would get exactly 8 hours every night, which would prevent you from having to have 12 hour catch-up nights where your body truly becomes catabolic. Good luck to both of us.

Re: eating before bed

Originally posted by Plastik
    I heard milk is good due to it's slow digestive properties.
    I usually eat an hour before bed. Now here's my question. What if I sleep late? Am I doing *more* harm ? I can't help but sleep late somedays and I know sleep is crucial in muscle recovery...as well as proper nourishment of the muscles.
    So whats a guy to do?

If you know you will be sleeping late just mix up a shake or something and throw it in the fridge. I am sure you will wake up once over the course of the night, and at that time you could just drink the shake.

Although I don't think it should be that much of a concern if this just happens every now and then. If you were getting 12 hours of sleep every night then it might be cause for concern, but otherwise I do not think you are doing any "harm."

Uh ohh... I've been averaged 11-12 hours of sleep so far over the summer. Is it really that big of a deal?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Man I totaly wish I could get that much sleep!!!
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

sometimes i go to sleep around 2 am and wake up at noon! 19 years old !

i try to eat some cottage cheese and have some milk before i go to bed too...any other recomendations?
    "Don't take life too serious, you'll never get out alive."-Van Wilder

its seems like natty pb is a good choice before bed as well.

Originally posted by Behemoth
    Uh ohh... I've been averaged 11-12 hours of sleep so far over the summer. Is it really that big of a deal?
    Will it make that much of a difference, probably not. If you wake up at night you might think about having a shake, cottage cheese, glass of milk, etc., but IMO it is not something that is crucial.

I would definitely make sure that you have some sort of food right before you go to bed though.

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    I usually have a MetRx protein shake and a glass of milk b4 bed. If not then I have some natty p-nut butter, cottage cheese, and a glass of milk. Sometime I have all of the above

-PEACE-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    I usually have to TBSPs or natty PB. And I found out it helps me sleep better
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Wannabebig Member
    Any casein protein is a good option, it gels in the stomach before digestion resulting in a steady slow stream of amino acids into the bloodstream. Throw in a spoonful of flax oil for good measure.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Do you guys wake up during sleep??? I NEVER wake up when I go to sleep. Not even to go to the bathroom...
    w00t

Wannabebig Member
    If you are on a gain, mix a protein shake with lots of ice and a tbsp. or 2 of flax oil, and set it by the bed on your nightstand. If you wake after about 3-4 hrs. after your last meal, chug some down and go back to sleep. If you don't wake up, then just put it in the fridge for another time.

Originally posted by rgkfit
    If you are on a gain, mix a protein shake with lots of ice and a tbsp. or 2 of flax oil, and set it by the bed on your nightstand. If you wake after about 3-4 hrs. after your last meal, chug some down and go back to sleep. If you don't wake up, then just put it in the fridge for another time.
    I you are going to use flax oil in your shake I personally would drink it immediately rather than let it sit out. Flax oil is very sensitive to heat and light, and I know this probably will not make that much of a difference in this case, but the variation in temperature, etc. could damage the oil.

heres wha i have before bed:

4 cooked egg whites, and a shake (1 cup milk, 1 cup yogurt 1 scoop whey protein).....how does it sound??

Originally posted by papaoso2k1
    heres wha i have before bed:

4 cooked egg whites, and a shake (1 cup milk, 1 cup yogurt 1 scoop whey protein).....how does it sound??
    That sounds fine, although IMO I would just find a slow digesting protein like cottage cheese and combine it with some fat to further slow digestion. I am not saying that it is going to make a large difference or any difference at all, and the most important thing is that you are taking in a meal before bed.

Maybe 2 whole eggs along with some cottage cheese or whey in milk.

thx bradley......about cottage cheese...the thing is here in venezuela we dont have it.... and the cheese they sell here has lots of fat so i try not to eat cheese... I need to know what other foods are good sources of slow digesting protein....(we dont have Peanut Butter here either....just so you know). I drink milk and yogurt because ive read they have casein wich is very slow digesting... i eat the eggs because i HAVE to eat something....if i just drink a shake I feel hungry and i get cravings for cereal..or something like that. What about whey?? is it ok?? or is it too fast?? thx for your help

Originally posted by papaoso2k1
    I need to know what other foods are good sources of slow digesting protein....(we dont have Peanut Butter here either....just so you know). I drink milk and yogurt because ive read they have casein wich is very slow digesting...
    You are correct in that casein is a slow digesting protein, and also any dairy product will have some casein in it. It is not really essential that you take in casein protein before bed, since any whole food protein will take a while to digest and if you add a little fat it will take even longer. The addition of fiber will also slow digestion as well.

The milk and yogurt would be fine, but I would go with the plain nonfat yogurt and skim milk. Then you could throw in a whole egg or two to add in some fat.

[b/]
    i eat the eggs because i HAVE to eat something....if i just drink a shake I feel hungry and i get cravings for cereal..or something like that. What about whey?? is it ok?? or is it too fast?? thx for your help [/B]
    You could try what I mentioned above or maybe just have a cup of milk with whey and then some type of fat. Whether it be nuts of some sort, eggs, etc.

It probably will not make that big of a difference and the main thing is that you are taking in meal before bed.

ok ....tonight im getting some flax with eggs yogur and milk.....

Whether or not you should eat before going to bed depends on what your goals are. If you're really trying to put on mass, then yeah, go ahead and do it. Be wary about eating too many carbs though. Any more than it takes to fill glycogen stores (how much this would be - I have no idea), will probably be stored as fat while you sleep.

I used to believe that the slower digesting proteins found in dairy were the best choice before bed, but now I'm not sure. I've seen multiple threads in this forum that suggest maybe keeping a steady amino stream in your body ISNT the best course of action for muscle building. I'm all turned around now. I thought that frequent meals and a steady source of protein was one of the few things that ALL bodybuilders agreed on.......

Originally posted by dirty-c
    Whether or not you should eat before going to bed depends on what your goals are. If you're really trying to put on mass, then yeah, go ahead and do it. Be wary about eating too many carbs though. Any more than it takes to fill glycogen stores (how much this would be - I have no idea), will probably be stored as fat while you sleep.
    Eating before bed is a good idea regardless of what your goals are, and the whole "carbs before bed will turn into fat" is not accurate. Calorie balance at the end of the day will be the determining factor as to whether or not you lose weight.

I used to believe that the slower digesting proteins found in dairy were the best choice before bed, but now I'm not sure. I've seen multiple threads in this forum that suggest maybe keeping a steady amino stream in your body ISNT the best course of action for muscle building. I'm all turned around now. I thought that frequent meals and a steady source of protein was one of the few things that ALL bodybuilders agreed on.......
    A slow digesting protein source is ideal before bed to supply a steady stream of AA, although frequent meals are not necessary to accomplish the steady stream of AA.
    Last edited by bradley; 07-10-2003 at 04:22 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    what about a huge turkey sandwich? =P

Wannabebig Member
    IF i am soo much little then you, should I still eat before bed, what is good, doesnt dairy products make your skin go a little harder. And am I really aloud pb, or is that just for the boys
    Dream BIG Dreams
    and no one can take those away from you !!!

skinny white boy
    you sleep for a reason. just eat before bed, and when you wake up. if you happen to wake up in the middle of the night, then eat some food...other than that, just sleep.

Originally posted by jcny19x
    what about a huge turkey sandwich? =P
    The content of the meal is not as important as making sure you are taking in some sort of meal before bed. I usually recommend cottage cheese because of the slow digesting protein that it contains, but as long as you are taking in some protein and a little fat (and fiber if you want), I really do not think it is going to make a substantial difference.

To answer your question, yes the sandwich would be fine.