The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Cheat Day Question

Yesterday was a refeed / cheat day for me. I did well over 600 grams of carbs complex and simple. A lot of simple. I know I did well over 300 grams of fat. Saturated and Mono etc. What effects could this have? Protien matched my body wieght if not more. It was a spluge day where I basically just said f... it! Today I am back on track though. I am cutting by the way. I am 5'4 166. Also I am pretty solid. Possibly 10 pounds of fat if not less. I have been told I am really low because I have a lot of vascularity.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

all I have to say is, if it's not broken, then don't fix it. cheat days helped me out a ton, although I did splurge as well.

"Prepare to Win
    By Layne Norton

Re-feeding*

One should also incooperate re-feeds into their diet plan. Re-feeds help boost a hormone called leptin, which is the mother of all fat burning hormones. As one diets, leptin levels drop in an attempt by the body to spare body fat. Periodic, proper re-feeding can raise leptin levels and help one continue to burn fat an optimum rate. A person who is lean will need to re-feed more frequently than someone who has a higher body fat percentage. For those who are below 10%, it is probably a wise idea to in cooperate re-feeds two times per week. For those people who are in the 10-15% range, re-feeding every 6-12 days will probably be adequate, for those who are above 15%, re-feeding will probably not need to be done more than once every week to two weeks. Obviously as one loses body fat they will need to re-feed more often. Refeed days should be planned as follows…

Re-feed on the day you work your worst body part(s) as re-feeding will not only raise leptin, but be quite anabolic.
    Keep fat as low as possible during re-feed days as high insulin levels will increase dietary fat transport into adipose tissue. In addition dietary fat has little to no impact on leptin levels.
    Reduce protein intake to 1g/lb bodyweight
    Consume as little fructose as possible as fructose does not have an impact on leptin levels.
    Increase calories to maintenance level (or above if you are an ectomorph) and increase carbs by at least 50-100% (endo’s stay on the low end, while ecto’s should stay on the high end) over normal diet levels.
    "
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Youre right, but I just want to know the effects...I'm sure I gained a pound off of it. Oh well Running and dieting is the key huh?

Originally posted by donescobar2000
    Youre right, but I just want to know the effects...I'm sure I gained a pound off of it. Oh well Running and dieting is the key huh?
    I agree that refeeding is necessary when trying to get to a low bf, but what you outlined above is not really a refeed but more of a cheat day. While you still accomplished your goal of increasing leptin levels you probably gained some bf as well. When refeeding you want to keep fat cals to a minimum so as to limit fat gain, and the only fat that you should be taking in is EFAs.

I am not saying that the above strategy will not work, but as you get to a lower bf% I would recommend cleaning up the cheat days and maybe going for a more planned refeed approach. As you start getting to a lower bf% it is going to be harder and harder to lose fat, and you don't want to gain back all the fat that you lost during the week.

You might also want to read the sticky at the top of the page as it has some good info as well.

Thanks. I have been doing cheat days for a while. It has not affected my goals. I know this time though I went overboard. Especially with eating a shytload of oreos almost the whole pack. 2 slices of cheescake, 5 slices of pizza, and one pint of ice cream. Yup I totally overdid it. Next time I will not have any Oreos. 3 cookies is 7 grams of fat. Also I'm slashing out the cheesecake. Although I love those things so much. I'll just make it a typical american treat pizza and ice cream and some blockbuster movies next time.