Thread: Well I've been gaining weight...

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

Well I've been gaining weight...

I have went from 154 to 161.5 in a little less than a month. And I hadn't gained more than maybe 1/4 inch if that on my waist...... until the last couple days.

I had actually been feeling good about my progress but then I went to put on my dockers for work and the trusty old belt notch was feeling a little snug....

So I measured and sho nuff I have gained a little less than an inch on the waist. This may not be a problem for some but my goal is to stay trim and cut while putting on muscle. Small gains is fine but I refuse to get a belly cuz cutting a lot would be tough for me without losing muscle. I had actually began to see that V shape cut down by the waistline and I still can but I'm getting more poked out. I would guess I am still under 14% BF at 5'11 161 pounds. But I am a little ways from seeing my abs and I really want to b4 long.

Even while bulking I was only taking in about 1700 calories a day, and now I'm gonna cut back to about 1550 or 1600. That is how slow my damn matabilism is. And I eat 6 sometimes 7 small meals a day plus drink tons of water. When I get old it's gonna suck.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea that might help me.

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

1700 calories a day??? dude i would feel like hell eating that amount. you need to eat more.

maybe even eating more will help you gain less fat. when you eat too low of calories your body thinks to itself "hmm, im starving, i better try to store some of this food that im getting (ie. fat)" why are you eating such low of calories? i mean, IMO i think i have a slow metabolism, but ive been eating ~ 3300 calories while bulking.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    I promise man... I am not starving. If anything I might be under calculating my calories. But you gotta understand I used to eat like 1000-1400 calories a day before I started lifting. I am eating almost constantly now. My stomach is always full. And I have been gaining crazy weight. Almost 10 pounds in a little over 3 weeks and most of it is muscle.

My diet changes but on a typical day I have:

Meal 1: Oatmeal w/ 2 cups of skim milk
    MetRx Protein Plus Shake

Total: 436 Cals 4g Fat 47 Carbs 55g Protein

Meal 2: 2 tbsp Natty Peanut Butter & Jelly on 2 slices white bread w/ 16oz water

Total: 766 Cals 22g Fat 77 Carbs 67g Protein

--WORKOUT--

Meal 3: 100% Whey Protein Shake w/ 2 Cups skim milk

Total: 1052 Cals 25g Fat 105 Carbs 104g Protein

Meal 4: 1 Can Tuna or 4 chicken breasts with mayo and relish
    2 slices white bread

Total: 1342 Cals 29g Fat 129 Carbs 140g Protein

Meal 5: 1 Cup Cottage Cheese(sometimes w/ peaches or pineapple)

2 slices Butterball turkey breast

Daily Total: 1585 Cals 33g Fat 141 Carbs 178g Protein

Lately I've been hitting the 1700 calorie range and that is when I have been getting a little more of a belly. I don't really have a belly and I know I can knock this lil bit off in a few days with cardio and the right food. But I am seeing my abs a little bit and I am really amped to see the whole 6.

But I feel you. It doesn't seem like a lot of calories but my body just isn't built for a lot more food at this point. I will gradually increase my calories but if I eat any more I'm gonna bust.

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

stop stressing over it! it's most likely water retention since you said you've been drinking "tons of water"

oh nm I figured out that you added the before meals to the caloric total and breakdown

you should still eat more on a bulk, do some HIIT if you're that worried about the fat.
    Last edited by SoulOfKoRea; 06-09-2003 at 10:08 PM.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Re: Well I've been gaining weight...

Originally posted by Mic Soloist
    I have went from 154 to 161.5 in a little less than a month. And I hadn't gained more than maybe 1/4 inch if that on my waist...... until the last couple days.
    I doubt that you gained an inch on your waist in a matter of a couple of days. Your waistline measurements will vary somewhat throughout the day because of the fact that you are constantly eating and drinking. Your stomach could just be full of undigested food, hence the reason that most people have less of a "belly" in the morning.

I had actually been feeling good about my progress but then I went to put on my dockers for work and the trusty old belt notch was feeling a little snug....

So I measured and sho nuff I have gained a little less than an inch on the waist. This may not be a problem for some but my goal is to stay trim and cut while putting on muscle. Small gains is fine but I refuse to get a belly cuz cutting a lot would be tough for me without losing muscle. I had actually began to see that V shape cut down by the waistline and I still can but I'm getting more poked out. I would guess I am still under 14% BF at 5'11 161 pounds. But I am a little ways from seeing my abs and I really want to b4 long.
    You have got to decide if you are going to lose or gain weight. Just going back and forth between the two is not going to give you the results you are looking for IMO. I am not saying to bulk up to a high bf% but you have got to expect a little bf when bulking.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea that might help me.
    Yes, don't worry about it so much. Plan out your diet and stick to it, while making small adjustments along the way.
    Last edited by bradley; 06-10-2003 at 03:00 AM.

Originally posted by Mic Soloist
    And I have been gaining crazy weight. Almost 10 pounds in a little over 3 weeks and most of it is muscle.
    If you have gained 10lbs in that short of a time period and have not added much fat then I don't really see anything to be unhappy about. I would be quite happy with those results

Lately I've been hitting the 1700 calorie range and that is when I have been getting a little more of a belly. I don't really have a belly and I know I can knock this lil bit off in a few days with cardio and the right food. But I am seeing my abs a little bit and I am really amped to see the whole 6.
    I am confused as to what your goals are. Are you trying to lose or gain weight? From the comment above you sounded as though gaining weight was your goal. You have to expect some fat gain when trying to gain weight.

But I feel you. It doesn't seem like a lot of calories but my body just isn't built for a lot more food at this point. I will gradually increase my calories but if I eat any more I'm gonna bust.
    Go with liquid calories if you want to increase your calories but have trouble eating whole foods.

As far as your diet it looks good, although those calories are very low, but I would recommend getting in some sort of omega 3s in your diet. Your fat intake could stand to be a little higher and the omega 3s would be a good addition IMO.

Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
    stop stressing over it! it's most likely water retention since you said you've been drinking "tons of water"
    Drinking more water would actually help in reducing water retention, not make you retain more.

when did you measure your wasit? was it in the morning? right after you ate? before you went to bed?

if you did it right after you ate, then odds are it was just a bit bigger becuae of the food you have consumed.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble