The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Can you do this????

A guy told me that you have to be really really really built to stand up stiff as board and curl 100 lbs and not lean at all. Well I can do it 3x6. And not only that but my 43 yr old father can do it too. And he just started liftin pretty regular with me 2 and a half months ago and hadn't lifted before that since he was in high school.

Is that pretty good or is this just some bull**** this guy was talkin??
    GO BIG OR GO HOME

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well if you're not really really really built, and you're doing it, then doesn't that answer you question?

Strength and size are two entirely different things.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Banned
    I hear the best upper-body strength test is to take a loaded bar with 500-1000 pounds (depending on your strength) on it, get under the bench, have a bunch of friends (it might require quite a few) lift it into lock out position for you. Once in that lockout position, try to hold it there as long as possible. Don't be a pussy though, try to hold it up there as long as you can.

This is just what I've heard though, I am not positive if it is dangerous or not. Try it at your own risk.

Simplistic
    I think I would have to pass on that one.

can you say shattered wrists
    to sculpt you must first have concrete
    You are only as stong as your weakest joint

I think 100lbs is an old school mark of heaviness or something. My dad always used to talk about the one time he worked out in the olden days that him and his friends got 100lbs above their head.

I curled 110 today for 2 reps if that helps your question. My stats are below.

I would try that 500lbs thing with the right spotters. Emphasis on the "s" in spotters.

Originally posted by silles
    I hear the best upper-body strength test is to take a loaded bar with 500-1000 pounds (depending on your strength) on it, get under the bench, have a bunch of friends (it might require quite a few) lift it into lock out position for you. Once in that lockout position, try to hold it there as long as possible. Don't be a pussy though, try to hold it up there as long as you can.

This is just what I've heard though, I am not positive if it is dangerous or not. Try it at your own risk.
    1000lbs? You wouldn't even be able to hold it for one second.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

<<<< is not that built and can curl 100 lbs.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

I'm not built, I can curl that poundage as well.

The notion of keeping 500-1000lbs "locked out" is probably not the best idea. I guess you can consider it as a type of isometric contraction? But I would imagine in the "locked out" position it would put undue stress on the joints.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Banned

this just seems REALLY ill-advised to me

i weigh 203 and i can curl 70 lb dbs for reps with good form and a spotter
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

ROFL! Are you trying to cause some WBB fatalities?! This is the stupidest idea I've heard in awhile.

"The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Wannabebig Member
    I've seen contests were the person curling has to stand against a wall. They curl as much as they can without their back or head moving from the wall. That takes all the body english out of the lift. That's probably what he is talking about. You normally can't curl as much this way. Try it sometime.
    I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong

I hate to jump on the band wagon but any one who even considers this kind of test may want to have their IQ tested as well........you can find it down the hall from the XRAY room in your local emergency room....look for the door marked "WHAT the HELL Was I THINKING?

500 lbs is a bit much for most people, but I don't think it's uncommon for a powerlifter to do "walk-outs" with like 5% more than his max...Walk-outs would be where he basically lifts the weight just off the rack and holds it there for a couple seconds, and then puts it back. I guess it makes the weight not seem quite as heavy when in a competition and doing more than he has maxed before.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 06-05-2003 at 05:03 PM.

Wannabebig Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

thanks, i needed a laugh...

uhh, that's got to be the stupidest thing I've seen/heard/read this year.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Pot-bellied bean pole Big & Tall's Avatar
    LMAO
    Eating like a grizzly bear with a tape worm

My Journal

Wannabebig Member
    I didn't know on curlin 100 pounds. He told me the only rule to it is you can't bend your back at all. Like you have to stand up completely straight the entire time.
    GO BIG OR GO HOME

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    People it was a joke... calm down.
    w00t

Originally posted by Backdraft
    I've seen contests were the person curling has to stand against a wall. They curl as much as they can without their back or head moving from the wall. That takes all the body english out of the lift. That's probably what he is talking about. You normally can't curl as much this way. Try it sometime.
    this is how we had to max in weight training in high school PE. im quite fond of it since i absolutely hate body english. there is no space to do this at my gym though unless i wanted to carry the bar into the aerobics room...which i wont do.

as far as the original question goes...i dont think 100 lbs represents a truly strong curl. alot of people can curl 100 lbs, but once you get into the triple digits you wont find many who can do much more than that with perfect form. i hope i dont need to define perfect form again.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Re: Can you do this????

Originally posted by klbkricp
    A guy told me that you have to be really really really built to stand up stiff as board and curl 100 lbs and not lean at all.
    The only way I can think of that you can stand up and not sway at all (or have your elbows move backwards to keep the center of gravity closer to your body) is to lean against a wall. Try it next time you work out. I've never tried it, but I'm sure it's incredibly hard.

------------------------------------

Edit: Didn't read the whole thread. MrWebb and Backdraft already said what I did.
    Last edited by Delphi; 06-05-2003 at 08:52 PM.

I always stand against a wall for max curls. If you're putting english into your curls, you're doing them wrong.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

curl 100lbs with one hand or two?

cause youve got respect in my book if you do it one handed.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by The_Brick
    I think 100lbs is an old school mark of heaviness or something. My dad always used to talk about the one time he worked out in the olden days that him and his friends got 100lbs above their head.

I curled 110 today for 2 reps if that helps your question. My stats are below.

I would try that 500lbs thing with the right spotters. Emphasis on the "s" in spotters.

Lifting a a pair of 100 dumbells above your head, was a test of strength in the old days.

I wouldn't try that 500 lbs unless you can already bench about 450.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 06-06-2003 at 12:24 AM.