Thread: Can't do the talk

Hybrid View

Can't do the talk

I joined this Toastmaster club the other day. Those who don't know about it, it is a club in which you practice your public speaking. I don't have much problem speaking in public and making presentations. BUT , in every meeting there is an impromptu speech time in which people simply get asked to speak about a random topic and you have no time to think about it. That's when I realized that I sucked at this. I have no creative thinking at all it seems when it have to be done on the spot. I think alot of it comes from me being an intravert all my life really. Yesterday was quite embarassing, I went in front and started talking about something, then I didn't really know how to continue my story so I just cut it right out at the end and returned back to my seat. It pisses me off, some people just seem to have it naturally, able to speak of nothing as if it was everything. Me on the other hand, seem to have nothing to say about pretty much everything. Just needed to rant.
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

Wannabebig Member
    Hang in there. People join Toastmasters to learn new skills and get better at things like extemporaneous speaking. It wouldn't be any fun if you could do everything perfectly from the get-go.

It is like learning a new exercise. You feel stupid doing it at first. You have to use lite weights and it feels awkward. After a while it gets better and you are blowing away your PB's.

Think of it as a workout and just set a goal to get a little better each time.

Good luck.

Practice practice practice. Don't get discouraged, it takes a lot of time, but if you want it, you'll get it.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

You'll get it dude, I used to shake like mad and almost blind myself from the sweat pouring from my forehead. I got over it on my own and I'm Very introverted, just forced myself to do it.

Keep it up, you'll be fine in no time.

Just outta interest do you have to pay for this club ?
    Anything is possible, just most likely improbable

'' If I cant be part of the greatest, I gotta be the greatest myself '' - Busta Rhymes

that drama queen slut Bridget Jones in that silly movie was a good public speaker

Nerves....that's all....the more you do it the better you will get!
    Congrats on making the first step by joining.....stick with it!! You're bound to improve.

when you get the subject, first describe it.

example : farting...what can we say about it, they are smelly, they make people laugh and they make people angry, they prolong poops, and they are like fingerprints, everyone got one special type

Then the situation farting is apropiate and not apropiate

blablabla

Then why we fart

Then farting in litterature and ect

So when you get the subject to spontaniously speak about, simply list up a formula you would use to talk about it
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Don't worry just keep working at it. Many people (me included) had a problem doing that exact thing. Just keep at it and it will come and you will be glad you stuck with it. For now just tell yourself that you're really not an assface.... you just feel like one
    w00t